P1000 New P1000-5 cooling fan issues

RobertinNevada

RobertinNevada

Apr 16, 2017
Fallon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Hondasxs
I took my brand new Honda P1000-5D out for its maiden voyage today. Got a few miles down the trail and noticed my temp indicator llight and the temp guage pegged. I stopped and didn't hear the cooling fan running. I checked the fuse for the fan and it's ok. I haven't done any modifications electrically just picked it up from the dealer Friday. I checked the connector on the fan it seems to be ok. Any Suggestions? I will be taking back to the dealership tomorrow morning. The funny thing is I heard the fan run when we took it around the neiborhood yesterday????

Reactions: Lady01 and pct
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Hondasxs
I took my brand new Honda P1000-5D out for its maiden voyage today. Got a few miles down the trail and noticed my temp indicator llight and the temp guage pegged. I stopped and didn't hear the cooling fan running. I checked the fuse for the fan and it's ok. I haven't done any modifications electrically just picked it up from the dealer Friday. I checked the connector on the fan it seems to be ok. Any Suggestions? I will be taking back to the dealership tomorrow morning. The funny thing is I heard the fan run when we took it around the neiborhood yesterday????

Try burping the cooling system.

Reactions: Lady01 and sharp
RobertinNevada

RobertinNevada

Apr 16, 2017
Fallon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok got the system burped. Only put in about a quart and that's about how much spit out. How many bars will you see on the temp indicator when the fan kicks in. It might have been low on coolant to begin with. I don't remember seeing any in the overflow tank when I was looking it over when I picked it up. Thanks

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
Mine did the same thing yesterday. How do I find out how to burp the system?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine stays 2 bars consistently. Hot or cold outside.

There is a method. I'm not near my computer where I can look at the service manual.

Someone mentioned doing it but I can't remember who.

RobertinNevada

RobertinNevada

Apr 16, 2017
Fallon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the same thing yesterday. How do I find out how to burp the system?
From what I got from some posts on here is you elevate the front of your side by side. When the motor is cool, Remove the radiator cap let the motor run for 5 minutes or so and if you had air in your cooling system you level will be low in the radiator. Replenish coolant, mine did not go down when I did this.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would have thought the dealer would have checked that before they let you have it

Reactions: Lady01
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I know but it sounded good HaHa but in all honesty the price we pay for these things they should

They absolutely should, BUT I don't trust dealers.

When I got it home I did a once over checked fluids, nuts, bolts, adjustments. Then rechecked them after 20 miles or so.

You know, considering the price I paid for this thing.

RobertinNevada

RobertinNevada

Apr 16, 2017
Fallon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Fixed the issue

OK got the cooling system refilled and (Burped)and took it out in the hills this morning before I was headed back to the dealership where I bought it. I was expecting the fan to not operate like it did yesterday. To my excitement the Fan came on at two bars and I worked the Sh%t out of it and it preformed flawlessly. There must have been a vapor lock or something. Ran it for 2 hours in some pretty knarley stuff with the fan coming on now and then and never got above 2 bars on the cooling indicator. I am a much happier camper now. Thanks for your input.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Fixed the issue

OK got the cooling system refilled and (Burped)and took it out in the hills this morning before I was headed back to the dealership where I bought it. I was expecting the fan to not operate like it did yesterday. To my excitement the Fan came on at two bars and I worked the Sh%t out of it and it preformed flawlessly. There must have been a vapor lock or something. Ran it for 2 hours in some pretty knarley stuff with the fan coming on now and then and never got above 2 bars on the cooling indicator. I am a much happier camper now. Thanks for your input.

Had it happen on my 700 after I added the Heater. No prob, what the forum is for.

J

Jshell3

I Fixed the issue

I had a similar issue right off the bat w/ my Blue 2017 P1k5... Temp dash light came on... from put putting around the road for 15 mins in 1-2 gears. I had like 30 miles on it.

I sped up to ram air. The fan kicked in. It cooled down quickly.

I have not burped mine, but haven't had the issue since, either.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I Fixed the issue

What I don't understand, if the fan is running while the engine is running and turn the key off, shouldn't the fan run like 4 wheelers?

LightFamily

LightFamily

Feb 8, 2021
Lebanon,PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had the same issue time and time again. It really made it hard to enjoy riding. Then I had found out about this page. I they found that installing the fan switch was the perfect fix, but you still had to watch the temp gauge. Not to long after I installed a dual battery kit and wired the fan switch to the second battery. After it was wired to the second battery it all of the sudden turn the fan on all by itself when it was supposed to. With this being said I am still glad I installed the fan switch, but I no longer have to use it. The fan comes on when it is supposed to and turns off when it's supposed to.

IXInaplesIXI

IXInaplesIXI

Dec 2, 2020
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe it was a low voltage issue, and after both batteries are installed it helps maintain a better voltage drop. 🤷🏻‍♂️

LightFamily

LightFamily

Feb 8, 2021
Lebanon,PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe it was a low voltage issue, and after both batteries are installed it helps maintain a better voltage drop. 🤷🏻‍♂️
More than likely it is due to low voltage. But I am still glad a purchased the fan switch from here. It is always nice knowing I have the option to have a backup.

IXInaplesIXI

IXInaplesIXI

Dec 2, 2020
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed. Years ago on my buggy I installed a “water bug” just below my electric fan so when I got in deep water it would shut my fan off. For a few months worked great, but the water bug eventually shorted it making it seem like it was always in water and so I just had it run on switch to turn it on in case there was another failure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!