P500 New P5 - tailgate/truck bed, tying down and reducing noisese

C

ChasinFin

Aug 14, 2019
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just picked up a used 2017 500 with 300 miles on it and seems to be in good shape. It came with a Honda tilt window and roof so i plan on adding a few accessories/storage for hunting.

Couple questions so far.

1) I ordered the metal tailgate straps to help support the tailgate but i see a number of people that seem to laminate some wood 4x8 to spread the load. Any other creative ideas? Truck is a F250 crew cab short bed.

2) What is the best point of contacts on the P5 to ratchet the straps to? I did them low on the frame with a crisscross pattern but thinking just at each corner and ratcheting down to compress the springs might be a better solution to prevent the swaying.

3) Surprised at how noisy they were in the cab compared to my old quad. Any solutions here to quiet them down?

I'm sure i'll have other questions as well but was thinking about just giving it a tune up with new oil, filters, spark plug etc just for peace of mind. Also planning on getting new tires and the winch but found a number of good posts already here on this forum for help. Thanks in advance and i'm excited for the new machine.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Just picked up a used 2017 500 with 300 miles on it and seems to be in good shape. It came with a Honda tilt window and roof so i plan on adding a few accessories/storage for hunting.

Couple questions so far.

1) I ordered the metal tailgate straps to help support the tailgate but i see a number of people that seem to laminate some wood 4x8 to spread the load. Any other creative ideas? Truck is a F250 crew cab short bed.

2) What is the best point of contacts on the P5 to ratchet the straps to? I did them low on the frame with a crisscross pattern but thinking just at each corner and ratcheting down to compress the springs might be a better solution to prevent the swaying.

3) Surprised at how noisy they were in the cab compared to my old quad. Any solutions here to quiet them down?

I'm sure i'll have other questions as well but was thinking about just giving it a tune up with new oil, filters, spark plug etc just for peace of mind. Also planning on getting new tires and the winch but found a number of good posts already here on this forum for help. Thanks in advance and i'm excited for the new machine.
Your truck doesn't need anything extra to haul the P5 . I hauled my P5 and my RZR 900 trail in my F250sd 1000s of miles . No issue . The tailgate braces are just because we would feel like real dummys if we know they are available and don't get them and something happened . I had them for my F250 and I have them for my Ram. I haven't ever heard of anyone having a tailgate strap break while hauling a sxs .
Put your P5 in forward then ratchet strap left and right rear from bed to center / trailer hitch area . That is all you need . It won't move unless you roll your truck and if you do that ....your last concern will be if the p5 stayed in or not.
As for the noise , buy a pc of sound/heat shield . It looks like insulation on 1 side and aluminum foil on the other . Remove your seats and cover everywhere below and behind the seat with it . This quiets it down a lot and keeps a lot of the enginge heat from you too .

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Welcome to the forum , you will really enjoy this new machine!

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Just picked up a used 2017 500 with 300 miles on it and seems to be in good shape.

Congratulations on your new buggy! I have a '17 that I picked up in March 2018 and it now has 3000 miles on it with minimal maintenance (oil changes, filters, and swapping out the differential oil just to make the drive quieter). Still on the stock tires, they work pretty well and I'm waiting for them to die before I go to 26's.

For the cab noise, the Trigger Shield seems to be the go to solution. I plan getting one, but the Mrs. and I just made an offer on a new house today. Plus, since I work at a shooting range, I usually am wearing hearing protection while driving around.

P500 - For Sale: Rubber Noise/Heat Shield

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome and congratulations on the P500. Tried the auto insulation with foil back for noise and heat. It went in the garbage as soon the trigger shield arrived. Then adding some music is even better. Best long term mechanical mods for me were power steering and front differential locker ($1k for both). But seriously, a winch, of at least 3500 lb rating, is a wise first purchase if you ride where you may get stuck and have to walk out.
P500 - MTX Overhead Audio Pod fits! ($200)

769BF3BB C1CF 4D23 A3C3 366A13438E75

Last edited:
C

ChasinFin

Aug 14, 2019
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Nice! Already ordered or started the process on the heat shield!

Definitely getting a winch and likely the strongman basket with tool box on the back. That seems like a nice fit.

Ordering the Big Sky overhead gun rack and perhaps the bowkaddy.

What other cool mods should i be looking into? This is likely addictive.

C

ChasinFin

Aug 14, 2019
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Glad to hear on the truck Huck! i figured as much but just wanted to make sure i was doing it right. Towed great and actually made the truck ride smoother. Its a 2001 diesel.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice! Already ordered or started the process on the heat shield!

Definitely getting a winch and likely the strongman basket with tool box on the back. That seems like a nice fit.

Ordering the Big Sky overhead gun rack and perhaps the bowkaddy.

What other cool mods should i be looking into? This is likely addictive.

Likely addictive heh heh, it’s a slippery slope and I’m thinking your already hooked.... Welcome and congrats on the new rig. For winches I’d recommend KFI mount and Super Winch 4500 with synthetic line.

As you noted above I use plywood, pressure treated 3/4” with angle iron bolted to the sides to aid in dispersal of weight off the tailgate. Have additional tailgate straps too. I ratchet strap over the circumference on the rear tires and ratchet strap across the front of mine to secure in the box. Also I back mine into the box as you get a few more inches on the truck this way.
Upload 2019 8 16 19 16 9

Image is a little dated have radials on now, but you get the idea. Also added couple strips of plywood under the machine at either end of the folding ramps to keep them secure sliding out. 97 ECLB 4” lift with 37” tires feels a little scary first couple load/unloads, I just rest my left foot on the brake so everything is smooth. In this image I didn’t have straps over the rear tires... not sure why.

I find that roads I’m on are often really rough (pipeline/Powerline access) and if I ratchet to the body one big bump and straps are off. I rather ratchet wheels down and let body move around. Can’t tell you how many guys have yanked holes in their boxes, broken straps, lost straps, mashed rear windows out cause they tried to tie down the body of their ATV/UTVs. For me system is quick, easy, no drama and has worked for hundred and hundreds of Kms.
Cheers,
jrc

C

ChasinFin

Aug 14, 2019
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks jcart! That’s the combo I’m going with for the winch! Thanks for the tips on the tires vs the body or tying low on the frame. Sounds like I’m doing it right.

Pretty cool little machines! Should work great for hunting and excited for the little boys to have a place to ride with me.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Canton, OH.

TriggerShield
box
Skid plate
Winch
It becomes easy to spend money on something to make memories with the little ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks jcart! That’s the combo I’m going with for the winch! Thanks for the tips on the tires vs the body or tying low on the frame. Sounds like I’m doing it right.

Pretty cool little machines! Should work great for hunting and excited for the little boys to have a place to ride with me.

Great little rigs for sure, get radials when you go to replace your tires and I’d stay with 12” diameter rims too More sidewall = smoother ride. Both our kids ‘specially my youngest learned to “drive” using the P5, which is an excellent platform for kids to learn driving concepts. Like where your wheels are relative to driving on a pole bridge. Backing up, speed and big puddles... heh heh, great memories with wife too.

We have always maintained with our children: Money isn’t important, (in the list of critical things) it fits in right behind breathing and bleeding and fourth is driving. If you can’t maintain the fore mentioned life will be a struggle especially if you live rurally or like the outdoors.

Happy travels with your family.
j

C

ChasinFin

Aug 14, 2019
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Really appreciate it. Thinking the bighorn 2.0 tires - 26” but was planning in stock rims. Maybe that’s not the best route to go and I should get new rims/tires.

I do want to stay around 52” to get in my truck and for any 50” trails.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Really appreciate it. Thinking the bighorn 2.0 tires - 26” but was planning in stock rims. Maybe that’s not the best route to go and I should get new rims/tires.

I do want to stay around 52” to get in my truck and for any 50” trails.
I love my 26 bighorn2s. They improved the ride over my 26 rocktanes.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Best long term mechanical mods for me were power steering and front differential locker ($1k for both). But seriously, a winch, of at least 3500 lb rating, is a wise first purchase
I agree with the choice of the mods, however, if you are considering adding them in the near future do the differential locker before installing the winch. You will save time by not having to remove the winch to get at the differential.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Couple questions so far.

Don’t overthink it, just enjoy your new ride! Welcome to the club.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!