P500 New P500 and the notorious hard shifting

farm7729

farm7729

Sep 18, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys, new to the forum, just posted my intro, but was fortunate enough to be able to grab a 2022 P500 on Saturday. I had been looking and ran across a dealer that got an unexpected shipment from Honda.

We live in a cool town that allows sxs on the city streets and golf cart trails. I wanted something that wasn't much bigger than a golf cart, ran on gas so I wasn't buying batteries all the time, and had more power than a golf cart so I could use it other places too. The 500 checked all those boxes.

I get it home and the first thing I notice is the hard shifting and trouble from 1-2. I jumped on here and started searching for an answer. I've read a good number of the hard shifting threads and it seems most of them say "suck it up and power through, everything will be ok." It does seem like I remember one thread where a guy actually had legit issues and dealt with Honda on it. I'm up to 23 miles, did the clutch adjustment as described on here and am still just nervous that this thing isn't going to get better. How bad is too bad?

As for just using it in Manual, I probably will most of the time. Problem is my family will be using it just as much if not more than me. Automatic is a must, especially since I sold the wife on the sxs life instead of a golf cart.

Thanks for all the info already.

IMG 2406

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Best thing to do if you think its worse than the ”normal” or even if your not sure, is to post up a video of u inside of it going down the road doing this shifting hard thing and we can tell you to suck it up or take it back with an issue. Its hard to get a barring on something like this in just a written description.

BTW welcome from Michigan
nice little buggy.

G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was in your shoes back in February when I purchased a new 520 and the auto shift sucks when new and most people just use the paddles for shifting. Everyone on here said the shifting will get better as it breaks in, and it does. I waited till I had 100 miles on and couldn't take it any longer. Someone said you have to find the "sweet" spot for a smoother shift by doing the initial adjustment, mark the screw where you ended up at, then test drive, still not to your liking turn the screw a 1/8 of a turn more, test drive again. If that makes it worse, turn screw the opposite direction a 1/4 turn, test drive again. It may take a few attempts at a 1/8 of a turn to find the sweet spot. It made a difference with my 520 when using paddles for shifting. I rarely use the auto shift feature, reason being it shifts at a higher rpm which I think amplifies the harshness of the shift. Give this a try, you always can take it back to the dealer

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Agree with the short Yes!

BUT Doesn't fix itself NEEDS a Little Help.
There is No need to put up with Harsh Shifting ( just to be clear you will always feel the shift )

When New ( factory adjustment is questionable at best ) some shift harsher than others??
Factory does not seem to test drive not sure they even fire it up to see if it runs. ( could be do to shipping with gas in tank ) .
Clutch adj. is approximate at time of Motor & transmission assembly.

Would be nice if dealer would test drive & <> adj clutch <> before customer Takes a delivery.

Do a clutch ADJUSTMENT ( start with the 1/4 turn on the last adjustment ) Test Ride notice any change.
If it still a little harsh try 1/8 th turn usually Smoooth's Out considerably.
After 1st. Oil Change may have to tweak adjustment again.
Welcome from central upstate N.Y
Many good people on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES.
RED was the1st color all other colors followed Honda hopee's they sell.

Last edited:
S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2019 P5 and had the same problem. I did the shift adjustment and it helped a little but that roughness is still there. It is never going to be as smothe as a belt drive. The Hondas are tough little machines and I have learned to live with it and don't even notice it any more. I've got about 2000 miles on mine and never any problems with it. I talk to the dealers and they say Hondas never come in for repairs while all the other machines do. Just accept that is the way it runs and run it hard, it will take care of you.

farm7729

farm7729

Sep 18, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Hit 70 miles today and this thing is a completely different machine. It’s really breaking in and doing exactly what you guys said it would. These things do not want to be babied. They just want to be ran!

Is it perfect? No but man it’s fun and is exactly what we were looking for.

Also the manual mode may be the biggest surprise of this machine. It’s awesome and way easier than expected for the kids. I could see us never even going to automatic in the future.

A

Aiviq

Jul 7, 2023
Kenai Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I saw a post on another forum where a user had a good tip for paddle shifting. He said rather than just quickly tapping the paddle to shift, you should instead trigger it and keep holding it until the shift is complete. He theorized that the ECU optimized the correct throttle retard only as long as the paddle was depressed, and releasing it before the shift was complete allowed the throttle to advance outside of the optimal shifting RPM, resulting in rougher shifts.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I saw a post on another forum
Ah Ah Ah!!! There is only one forum 🤣

Welcome from the lower 46
Its your first post we need pics of your rig Pics Or it Didnt Happen!
Start a welcome thread and post em up. Its Rule #4 ;)

A

Aiviq

Jul 7, 2023
Kenai Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I'll get photos soon. My 500 is paid for, but still at the dealer getting accessories installed (It's been about a month now, but the dealer says my accessories are being shipped surface, and it takes a while to get up here). I ordered a full Honda cab enclosure - roof, windshield, back panel, and doors plus a winch, plow, and ITP blackwater 26" tires.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Texas. My p500 seems to shift a little harder if I am driving around slowly. If i am hauling arse it seems to shift very smoothly. I did change to a heavy weight oil.

Reactions: Smitty335
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I'll get photos soon. My 500 is paid for, but still at the dealer getting accessories installed (It's been about a month now, but the dealer says my accessories are being shipped surface, and it takes a while to get up here). I ordered a full Honda cab enclosure - roof, windshield, back panel, and doors plus a winch, plow, and ITP blackwater 26" tires.
Welcome to the club from East Tennessee.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome from NW Ga. Think I’ve done 3 clutch adjustments since 2017 and it gets better each time over the years, even in Auto mode. Also changing the diff oils as in many threads helps quiet things down, along with Trigger’s Quick Shield.

RLC59

RLC59

Feb 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
My 2020 P500 really smoothed out after I had the dealer 100 mile service done and switched to Honda synthetic oil ......... but I still normally use the paddle shifters in MT mode ...... just seems more fun when I control the shifting !! But the grandkids use AT mode and love it !!

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Was out riding at the deer lease yesterday and played around with the shifting. No big hills to go down but a few long stretches for some WOT. What I noticed was the clanking loud noises came on the downshifting.
On the up shifts if I pulled the paddle back for a fast shift and only pulled it maybe 1/4 to 1/2 the way back, Pockets shifted super smooth. It was getting hot quick and Pockets was on the trailer before noon. Maybe some more testing later.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Drive it like you stole it, you won't hurt it. Later down the line you'll probably need to do a clutch adjustment, mechanicals seating and getting broken in. Mine has shifted like butter the last couple of years now.

X2- same with my P5. Automatic shifting has always be herky/jerkey so I drive 100% manual shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Drive it like you stole it, you won't hurt it. Later down the line you'll probably need to do a clutch adjustment, mechanicals seating and getting broken in. Mine has shifted like butter the last couple of years now.
OTOH...My 2016 has over 9000 hard miles and has NEVER had the clutch adjusted! (Unless the dealer did it during assembly/prep). So that's the other side of the coin.

WB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!