New P520 owner

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Hello all. I just joined a few days ago, shortly after buying a used 2022 P520.

I had been keeping my eye out for a new or good used SxS for the past year or two. The Honda Pioneer 520 was my preferred model, since I wanted something reliable, smaller, and with engine braking. (I would have preferred a red one. Since this is a "working in the woods" vehicle, I want to be seen, not blend in... less chance of dropping a tree on it.)

This is for working on my wooded 144 acres at the dead end of a dirt road in rural Vermont as well as on a 115 acre conserved working forest I own jointly with 15 other families in the area. I have no need or interest in going 60 MPH. 90% of the time, I will likely be going 15 MPH or less in the woods.

I spend a fair amount of my free time working in the woods felling trees for firewood or saw logs, clearing my trails of storm damage, or clearing and putting in new trails. The heavier work I do with my tractor, which has been modified for work in the woods. I needed something small let and lighter (and a bit faster and more comfortable) for when I do not need to move heavy logs. I also wanted something lighter weight which would not tear up the trails when ground conditions were a bit on the soft side.

I did manage to get out today to pick up some firewood I had salvaged while cleaning up the damage from a heavy wind storm shortly before Christmas.

A620DC6C 8267 4C20 B4B8 81E7B5DD9423 454DCBBA 1B13 4D9C B97D 9E73117F88C8

Last edited:
OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

I had been keeping my eye out for a new or good used SxS for the past year or two. The Honda Pioneer 520 was my preferred model, since I wanted something reliable, smaller, and with engine braking.

This is for working on my wooded 144 acres at the dead end of a dirt road in rural Vermont as well as on a 115 acre conserved working forest I own jointly with 15 other families in the area. I have no need or interest in going 60 MPH. 90% of the time, I will likely be going 15 MPH or less in the woods.

I spend a fair amount of my free time working in the woods felling trees for firewood or saw logs, clearing my trails of storm damage, or clearing and putting in new trails. The heavier work I do with my tractor, which has been modified for work in the woods. I needed something small let and lighter (and a bit faster and more comfortable) for when I do not need to move heavy logs. I also wanted something lighter weight which would not tear up the trails when ground conditions were a bit on the soft side.

I did manage to get out today to pick up some firewood I had salvaged while cleaning up the damage from a heavy wind storm shortly before Christmas.

View attachment 369988 View attachment 369989
Welcome from NE Ga… Let the work continue and the GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

FJC 79

FJC 79

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

I had been keeping my eye out for a new or good used SxS for the past year or two. The Honda Pioneer 520 was my preferred model, since I wanted something reliable, smaller, and with engine braking. (I would have preferred a red one. Since this is a "working in the woods" vehicle, I want to be seen, not blend in... less chance of dropping a tree on it.)

Welcome from Ohio. That's a cool little trailer

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from central upstate N.Y.
Many good people & imformation on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES

2022 GREY with Red Hood 2-Tone ( Easier to See in Woods ) purchased for many of Same Reasons you have described.

FYI: </> Hood P500& P520 ALL YEARS are the SAME </> Partszilla is the best price </> NEW RED HOOD April 2022 shipped to door under $70.00 ( reused latch assembles from P 520 Hood ).
CHEAP INSURANCE
Box side panels pricey.

Many Good times in the future.

The Honda Pioneer 520 was my preferred model, since I wanted something reliable, smaller, and with engine braking. (I would have preferred a red one. Since this is a "working in the woods" vehicle, I want to be seen, not blend in... less chance of dropping a tree on it.)

Enjoy New Toy

20220415 200411

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Welcome from Ohio. That's a cool little trailer
Thanks, @buggyman. BTW, I grew up in NW Ohio, in the little town of Fostoria. (I did have a couple of sisters who lived out your way in NE Ohio at one point.)

The trailer is a Polar Tandem Axle HD 1500TA (Polar model 8262). I've owned it for 8 years. It's a walking arm suspension, which really makes it great for working on the rough terrain in my woods. The walking arm absorbs much of the terrain irregularity, so the trailer has a much more stable ride. Without the extended sides, the capacity is about 22 cu. ft. With the optional metal sides, the capacity is 35 cu ft. Weight capacity is 1500#. I've been happy with it. It comes with a pin hitch, but I added a 2" ball coupler. It bolts right on over the pin hitch with two bolts, so it's easy to switch back and forth between hitch styles. The ball couple adds a bit more range of motion going over bumps than the pin hitch does. I also ended up buying their cover, which keeps the rain and snow off when I'm using it as a tool/chainsaw hauler or when leaving items in it for storage.

The bearings are not high speed rated, so you can't run down the road at "ATV speeds" when fully loaded, but it's fine at "working in the woods" speeds even with the full 1500 lbs. (I pulled 1500# of pea gravel 3 miles down the road behind my compact tractor at about 10 or 12 MPH, and one bearing got hot. The others were fine. Called the manufacturer, and they sent me a replacement bearing under warranty - which I never ended up installing. I've NEVER had an issue when working in the woods.)

The tandem axle design does scrub a bit in tight turns. It takes a bit more force to turn it when maneuvering by hand even when empty, but it's manageable. I do run it across my lawn all the time, but usually just on my way to the woods. I'm not particularly picky about my lawn, so don't pay much attention, but I have not noticed any significant damage.

If you don't need the rough terrain capability or extra flotation of the tandem axle design, the single axle model (Polar HD1500 model 8233) is less expensive ($270 less), easier to roll around and maneuver by hand, and has the same load capacity. It's still a good trailer in the woods and is relatively stable, but the tandem will handle the rough terrain better. If needed, you can switch a tandem to a single in a couple of minutes (with no tools, if I recall correctly).

The 1500# rated model is significantly more durable than Polar's 1200# models.

The link I provided is to Northern Tool, but Home Depot and Lowes carry these. Freight from Northern Tool is a killer (almost $500) on these, so it's worthwhile to see if a local big box store has or can get them. Oddly, when I checked online for Lowes in my area, I cannot pick up in store, but they say delivery to me is just $59. I find that hard to believe, since its a truck delivery, and not something UPS would handle (at least not back when I got mine).

FJC 79

FJC 79

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks, @buggyman. BTW, I grew up in NW Ohio, in the little town of Fostoria. (I did have a couple of sisters who lived out your way in NE Ohio at one point.)

The trailer is a Polar Tandem Axle HD 1500TA (Polar model 8262). I've owned it for 8 years. It's a walking arm suspension, which really makes it great for working on the rough terrain in my woods. The walking arm absorbs much of the terrain irregularity, so the trailer has a much more stable ride. Without the extended sides, the capacity is about 22 cu. ft. With the optional metal sides, the capacity is 35 cu ft. Weight capacity is 1500#. I've been happy with it. It comes with a pin hitch, but I added a 2" ball coupler. It bolts right on over the pin hitch with two bolts, so it's easy to switch back and forth between hitch styles. The ball couple adds a bit more range of motion going over bumps than the pin hitch does. I also ended up buying their cover, which keeps the rain and snow off when I'm using it as a tool/chainsaw hauler or when leaving items in it for storage.

The bearings are not high speed rated, so you can't run down the road at "ATV speeds" when fully loaded, but it's fine at "working in the woods" speeds even with the full 1500 lbs. (I pulled 1500# of pea gravel 3 miles down the road behind my compact tractor at about 10 or 12 MPH, and one bearing got hot. The others were fine. Called the manufacturer, and they sent me a replacement bearing under warranty - which I never ended up installing. I've NEVER had an issue when working in the woods.)

The tandem axle design does scrub a bit in tight turns. It takes a bit more force to turn it when maneuvering by hand even when empty, but it's manageable. I do run it across my lawn all the time, but usually just on my way to the woods. I'm not particularly picky about my lawn, so don't pay much attention, but I have not noticed any significant damage.

If you don't need the rough terrain capability or extra flotation of the tandem axle design, the single axle model (Polar HD1500 model 8233) is less expensive ($270 less), easier to roll around and maneuver by hand, and has the same load capacity. It's still a good trailer in the woods and is relatively stable, but the tandem will handle the rough terrain better. If needed, you can switch a tandem to a single in a couple of minutes (with no tools, if I recall correctly).

The 1500# rated model is significantly more durable than Polar's 1200# models.

The link I provided is to Northern Tool, but Home Depot and Lowes carry these. Freight from Northern Tool is a killer (almost $500) on these, so it's worthwhile to see if a local big box store has or can get them. Oddly, when I checked online for Lowes in my area, I cannot pick up in store, but they say delivery to me is just $59. I find that hard to believe, since its a truck delivery, and not something UPS would handle (at least not back when I got mine).
thanks for the info

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Welcome from NW Arkansas!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!