P1000 New Pioneer 1000-5 sputtered then died

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I have had my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 since Wednesday every night after work I put 30min to an hour on the machine on my back roads. Tonight we drove to my wife's families house they are loading up their Rzr's to go out I was bragging on the Honda how nice it is how comfortable the ride is, another member of the family is looking for a new SXS I said recommend the Honda its a great machine if they want I will let them demo mine.

At the end of his driveway I stop go to turn left it sputters and dies, I turn the key off and back on crank it nothing, cycle the key cranking away it fires then sputters like it's out of gas and dies. Our smart phones have flashlight apps I fire up the flashlight, when I picked it up the fuel read one bar low but fuel was in the neck, the light reveals I am just below the fill neck with gas. Now my wife is glaring at me we put $7,000 down and were sitting in her families driveway with a dead Honda I got the you picked it out, you did the research, said it was the best one we could buy but here we sit speech.

The Honda busts off I baby it home, I drop her off and tell her I will be back if this dies and were both from the truck were sitting ducks. The damn thing sputters again then smooths out I am creeping running 15-30mph down my road. The whole time no dummy lights on the dash come on nothing. The SXS has 15.5 hours only 2 of which I put on.

Any ideas?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
When you say no dummy lights ... do you mean instrument panel is out? If that's he case I'm thinking a loose ground wire somewhere!

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The instrument panel lights up when I turn on the key it cycles through post, also when I go into R or N those light up. What I meant was no check engine light, maintenance light, low oil light nothing was illuminated to indicate anything strange was happening.

Reactions: Eltobgi
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm thinking a ground wire issue too.

Signature:

QUOTE by Tflynn, "The aftermarket doesn't build what you want? Show them your favorite finger and build it yourself!"

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This sounds common with bad fuel. or water in the fuel.
I'd drain it all and refill with brand new.

What do you know about the other 13 hours.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
What do you know about the breaking hours prior to you getting it?o_O Just to be safe check battery, fuel, air filter, oil level, and spark plugs and wires! Process of elimination!
But check all ground wires first! Keep us informed as to your finding! We will figure it out together!;)

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm the first owner according to my paperwork, maybe it has been demo'd at the dealer but no buyers and they finally sold it? They did move it a lot the anti-theft tracker was sending alerts to the point we called the dealer and asked what are you doing to our pioneer why does it keep getting moved. The salesman was dumbfounded with a how did you know we were moving it? He goes oh right you bought the tracker and we are blowing up your phone with texts? I answered correct what are you doing, I got the oh were washing it, fueling it and getting it ready for Wednesday's pick up.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Anti-theft tracker????

As a demo model did they perform the first service @ 100 miles or 20 hrs? I'm thinking that it might also be valves...

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Yeah for $495 I have a GPS tracker with built in battery installed by my dealer. If the thing moves I get a text, if the power is cut I get a text and it sends out a signal for 60 hours in the event they do cut the power to the box. It's ultra sensitive acorns are setting it off, and my cat has taken a liking to the bed every time he gets in it my phone goes off, the first night home was a sleepless night it started at 10 pm, 12 midnight, 3 am, 5 am, 6:30 the thing kept thinking it was moving.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah for $495 I have a GPS tracker with built in battery installed by my dealer. If the thing moves I get a text, if the power is cut I get a text and it sends out a signal for 60 hours in the event they do cut the power to the box. It's ultra sensitive acorns are setting it off, and my cat has taken a liking to the bed every time he gets in it my phone goes off, the first night home was a sleepless night it started at 10 pm, 12 midnight, 3 am, 5 am, 6:30 the thing kept thinking it was moving.
Any chance you could post a link or give more info on the gps tracker? With the stepsons I have, that might just come in handy lol

Reactions: ChadMarti and sharp
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The cool thing about it if you go out on trails and get lost you can see your path, the phone app shows your speed, heading, you can see anywhere my pioneer has been in the app. It alerts you if it gets cranked, moves even if a person is jostling it

Reactions: sharp
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I called the dealer they want to see it but we just had a big mud event iron horse now service is backed up several weeks. Friday night I am draining the fuel and filling up with non-ethanol to see if it's a small amount of water. Sunday we rode it to the neighbors it sputtered, that afternoon we spent 2 hours riding and it sputtered once more pulling out the driveway both times. Saturday I will be at Hog Waller on the trails we will see how it does with fresh gas and hopefully hit 25 hours for the first service so it can be looked over.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The Pioneer is in the dealer for its first service it's still cutting out on me but only once a day. By time I got it in for service low range no longer engaged as well. The service department had the nuts to say " it might be covered by the warranty " I have had it 2 weeks the engine stalls and I only have high range they better bet their ass it will be covered. Wednesday I will either get my Honda back fixed, a new Honda or another sxs. I will see how the service department acts it's suppose to be done Wednesday.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer is in the dealer for its first service it's still cutting out on me but only once a day. By time I got it in for service low range no longer engaged as well. The service department had the nuts to say " it might be covered by the warranty " I have had it 2 weeks the engine stalls and I only have high range they better bet their ass it will be covered. Wednesday I will either get my Honda back fixed, a new Honda or another sxs. I will see how the service department acts it's suppose to be done Wednesday.
You have the exact same attitude I would have. Accept no less.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
We got it back Thursday, I had to work my wife picked it up and that was a mistake, she had my credit card and didn't question any of the charges just paid for it. The dealers service center charged us for what I feel was warranty work they charged me for 2 spark plugs at $20 a piece and claimed that was included for the first service. By time it was over $375 for my first service and they drained my fresh fuel I filled it to the neck Friday of boat gas. And boat gas isn't easy to get its a 30min ride and a premium $2.50 a gallon. Down at the dealer boat gas is as common as regular and 1 cent more a gallon over regular at $2.16 a gallon.

Reactions: Delton
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Spark plugs are not part of the first service but they may have been fouled. I guess you'll call them to get the explanation.

About draining the fuel - how do you get all the fuel out of the main tank as well as the reserve?

How's it running now?

Reactions: Eltobgi
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any chance you could post a link or give more info on the gps tracker? With the stepsons I have, that might just come in handy lol
This is gonna sound like a bad joke or a horrible nightmare, but last week my stepson stole my crotchrocket. If I'd had this tracker I'd already have it back by now. That's so pathetic it's almost funny huh?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We got it back Thursday, I had to work my wife picked it up and that was a mistake, she had my credit card and didn't question any of the charges just paid for it. The dealers service center charged us for what I feel was warranty work they charged me for 2 spark plugs at $20 a piece and claimed that was included for the first service. By time it was over $375 for my first service and they drained my fresh fuel I filled it to the neck Friday of boat gas. And boat gas isn't easy to get its a 30min ride and a premium $2.50 a gallon. Down at the dealer boat gas is as common as regular and 1 cent more a gallon over regular at $2.16 a gallon.
I thought I'd been around every type of gas known to man. In my dragracing days, I've used VP U2, 4, 4.2 and Q16 (all oxygenated fuels and around 25 bucks a gallon). Never heard of boat gas. What is that exactly?

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I thought I'd been around every type of gas known to man. In my dragracing days, I've used VP U2, 4, 4.2 and Q16 (all oxygenated fuels and around 25 bucks a gallon). Never heard of boat gas. What is that exactly?

Non-ethanol, on the coast we call it boat gas we have more boat repair and sales than car dealers it feels like with the Gulf in our back yard. If your ever in Florida and see a sign " We sell boat gas " its refrencing non-ethanol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!