New Talon Owner in IL

T

TurboActi0n

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi everyone, I finally bought a SxS even though I always said I'd always buy a Jeep instead. I enjoy enduro riding on a KTM 525 EXC, and also do SCCA RallyX with various vehicles. I also needed something easy/safe for my wife to drive around, as she previously broke her leg on my Yamaha Blaster (12 years ago).

I picked up a 2019 Talon locally, mostly because of the dual clutch 6sp transmission and reasonably good suspension. I figure I can lower the suspension pre-load to reduce ride height and gain a bit of stability (along with stiffening up the shocks). I don't plan any big air, but will be doing some gnarly hill climbs from time to time.

First on the agenda is installing some arm restraints, as that's the only thing holding me back from racing since I only have the short windshield. At some point I'll need tires, so I'm curious what you guys recommend for something that has more forward traction than lateral traction for the rear end.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I think you'll find the suspension on the X is more than stout enough for anything but big air time, maybe a bit too stout. Shock revalving is probably in your future.

The link in my sig will take you to some Talon basics if you haven't seen it.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the Strechen Gretchen state! Michigan.

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! 🥳

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hi everyone, I finally bought a SxS even though I always said I'd always buy a Jeep instead. I enjoy enduro riding on a KTM 525 EXC, and also do SCCA RallyX with various vehicles.

Howdy from Oklahoma, and welcome to the club. I spent about 10 -12 years, road course racing with the SCCA. Great organization, and good times.

Reactions: Backwoods
T

TurboActi0n

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome! I was finally able to take it out to our acreage Saturday and test it out. The 4 wheel drive system is amazing. It drives like a 2wd with the grip of 4 wheel drive. The transmission also works great in low range for just creeping around trails in the woods.

I will say though, the best part about it might be the sound of the engine and the instant gear changes from the transmission. The tires seem to provide a good balance of handling and traction. I might have to consider another set of these further down the road (original rears are about half tread).

20211022 202717

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree, the engine sounds like a big block Chebby and the DCT is magic. 😍 The OEM tires work very well but they aren't very tough. Admittedly, I got 1500 miles on my set without trouble but I won't be buying them again, there are better choices available including 30" and 32". 32's are a bit much for my altitudes though and the driveline doesn't allow for easy (or inexpensive) gearing changes.

Reactions: Backwoods
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!