New tires installed. Cooper Evolution MT.

P

PNWGuy

These are a new design that got rave reviews for great road manners for a mud tire and good performance in the snow. They were really cheap this summer, as in $160 each for LT285/70R17s, which is a 33" tire.

I bought them in July and have been saving them in the garage for signs of winter weather.

Finally put them on this week and they are pretty awesome. We got a fair amount of rain so I promptly took them on a farm road that gets pretty greasy in the rain.

Mud was light but slick and tires just refused to lose grip. Left it in 2wd and couldn't get stuck or even hardly spin. Amazing grip!

Highway ride is nice and not nearly as harsh as the LT Goodyear Wrangler Authority ATs I had on it. Running 45 psi of air pressure. But they are noticeably louder than the ATs, but not as bad as a lot of mud tires.

I had my set siped to increase snow and ice performance, so I'll find out how they do. Can't be any worse than the rock-hard Goodyears that were downright scary on snow-covered roads last winter.

AIykIufASnu0mTXd2EnYqw

EA3A4Pt4QpmdZE7ar zeow 1

Yx wOlLyQO6npI0SVgHiRw

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw the post title and saw your post avatar and thought you put them on your 500 :p then while reading I was amazed you got 33s and 17" wheels on the 500, then realized they went on your Toyota when I saw the pictures. Nice ride!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are a new design that got rave reviews for great road manners for a mud tire and good performance in the snow. They were really cheap this summer, as in $160 each for LT285/70R17s, which is a 33" tire.

I bought them in July and have been saving them in the garage for signs of winter weather.

Finally put them on this week and they are pretty awesome. We got a fair amount of rain so I promptly took them on a farm road that gets pretty greasy in the rain.

Mud was light but slick and tires just refused to lose grip. Left it in 2wd and couldn't get stuck or even hardly spin. Amazing grip!

Highway ride is nice and not nearly as harsh as the LT Goodyear Wrangler Authority ATs I had on it. Running 45 psi of air pressure. But they are noticeably louder than the ATs, but not as bad as a lot of mud tires.

I had my set siped to increase snow and ice performance, so I'll find out how they do. Can't be any worse than the rock-hard Goodyears that were downright scary on snow-covered roads last winter.

View attachment 230594

View attachment 230595

View attachment 230596
Your 4runner is flipping awsome!

Reactions: PNWGuy
P

PNWGuy

Well, I've had the chance to run these in a couple of winter storms and on everything from sheet ice to deep snow. They perform well in everything!

Though they will lose traction, it's not as bad as previous tires. I've yet to have an "Oh, s***!" moment when braking on ice, or hitting black ice on the highway. So far, very happy with their performance.

Not sure how much the siping has added to their performance, but I can say that these are most winter-friendly mud tire I've ran. Despite the increased width over stock, they have never hydroplaned when hitting standing water on the highway.

The only downside is the noise, which is either getting worse, or I'm just more sensitive to it. It is distracting. My MPG took a huge hit, per the computer, but by filling the tank a few times and checking the trip meter, and compensating actual miles due to less rotations due to larger size, my mileage is actually the same as it was with the smaller and less aggressive tires. I'm averaging around 18.5 mpg, which is pretty darn good for a lifted 4Runner. Most guys are getting around 15 or 16.

The big test will be in March, when I embark on an epic road trip from Idaho to Arizona on the Mexico border. Will start out in snow-covered mountains and end up in 80-degree desert. Planning on doing some Jeep trails near the Mexican border, so ditched the factory boulder-catchers and installed new running boards that are tucked closer to the body.

MriZaF3oR52hq97InKu6lQ

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, I've had the chance to run these in a couple of winter storms and on everything from sheet ice to deep snow. They perform well in everything!

Though they will lose traction, it's not as bad as previous tires. I've yet to have an "Oh, s***!" moment when braking on ice, or hitting black ice on the highway. So far, very happy with their performance.

Not sure how much the siping has added to their performance, but I can say that these are most winter-friendly mud tire I've ran. Despite the increased width over stock, they have never hydroplaned when hitting standing water on the highway.

The only downside is the noise, which is either getting worse, or I'm just more sensitive to it. It is distracting. My MPG took a huge hit, per the computer, but by filling the tank a few times and checking the trip meter, and compensating actual miles due to less rotations due to larger size, my mileage is actually the same as it was with the smaller and less aggressive tires. I'm averaging around 18.5 mpg, which is pretty darn good for a lifted 4Runner. Most guys are getting around 15 or 16.

The big test will be in March, when I embark on an epic road trip from Idaho to Arizona on the Mexico border. Will start out in snow-covered mountains and end up in 80-degree desert. Planning on doing some Jeep trails near the Mexican border, so ditched the factory boulder-catchers and installed new running boards that are tucked closer to the body.

View attachment 242968
I went back to Coopers this set of tires, their a lot better than the Toyo's in the rain and made here in Arkansas.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!