P500 New trailer / garage.

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my trailer which doubles as a garage for my p5.

The trailer is a 2005 Featherlite model 1610, 14 foot enclosed cargo trailer that I bought used last fall. It has a 6'6" interior height, aluminum floor, white drop ceiling, extra interior lights and aluminum wheels.

Besides its traditional use as a trailer, I also use it as a portable garage at our place in Adams County, Wisconsin. When parked and unhitched I put jack stands under the frame at the back.

As background, the p5 is too big to fit in our existing shed up north. I thought about building a new, larger shed, but this seemed to be the better solution. Two birds, one stone.

One picture shows my p5 pulling the trailer. I was re-positioning the trailer into a tight spot so decided to see how it would pull with the Pioneer. I was surprised that it pulled so easily.

I plan to install some cabinets in the front of the trailer for tools, etc.

I hope the pictures work.
IMG 20160514 115217 800x598
IMG 20160514 120546 800x598
IMG 20160514 164959 800x598

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@kf9ez Very Nice!

I finally broke down and bought a 34' enclosed trailer had an additional 18" added to height to clear the taller SXS & had them add rubber tread plate on the floor and ramp. It is quite a step up from my 20yr old 16 ft. utility trailer, I was always afraid of things getting ripped off and being exposed to the elements.
I was needing a trailer to move AND wanted one to haul up to 3 SXS behind a motorhome, so I broke down and killed two birds with one stone. I too would like to add some cabinets but no hurry on that for now.
20160517 122504 20160517 122852 20160517 122644 20160517 122835

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
@kf9ez Very Nice!

I finally broke down and bought a 34' enclosed trailer had an additional 18" added to height to clear the taller SXS & had them add rubber tread plate on the floor and ramp. It is quite a step up from my 20yr old 16 ft. utility trailer, I was always afraid of things getting ripped off and being exposed to the elements.
I was needing a trailer to move AND wanted one to haul up to 3 SXS behind a motorhome, so I broke down and killed two birds with one stone. I too would like to add some cabinets but no hurry on that for now.
View attachment 15284 View attachment 15287 View attachment 15285 View attachment 15286
I like a man who isn't afraid to go first class. It only costs 80% more! Ha! @bobbyhill and I were talking about you the other day. He was in Sand Point, doing a great big favor for my students. It was really nice to meet up with someone from the site. He's switching coasts next month, and now you're moving, too? Where are you headed?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I like a man who isn't afraid to go first class. It only costs 80% more! Ha! @bobbyhill and I were talking about you the other day. He was in Sand Point, doing a great big favor for my students. It was really nice to meet up with someone from the site. He's switching coasts next month, and now you're moving, too? Where are you headed?
No that trailer isn't first class by far, it was $7500. first class is a 36 ft. all aluminum ATC stacker trailer with 24 ft. long lift gate for $100K LOL Seriously through I retired last months and wife and I are moving to Smokey Mountains near Pioneer, TN from IL near St. Louis, MO. From my new place will have 1500 miles of trails literally right out my back door, just a drive off the mountain top to the trail head at the bottom. :) I cannot wait to get out of this scandal ridden state, 5 of IL last 9 governors have been to Federal Prison for corruption convictions and I had to work for 7 of them, it's been quite a career.

Reactions: sharp and p500fan
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
No that trailer isn't first class by far, it was $7500. first class is a 36 ft. all aluminum ATC stacker trailer with 24 ft. long lift gate for $100K LOL Seriously through I retired last months and wife and I are moving to Smokey Mountains near Pioneer, TN from IL near St. Louis, MO. From my new place will have 1500 miles of trails literally right out my back door, just a drive off the mountain top to the trail head at the bottom. :) I cannot wait to get out of this scandal ridden state, 5 of IL last 9 governors have been to Federal Prison for corruption convictions and I had to work for 7 of them, it's been quite a career.
Understand that completely. I figure you'll like the political landscape a little more in TN. Eastern TN is a beautiful place. The wife and I honeymooned there, and have been back several times. You're also right about it being nice having trails to ride right out your back door. That is the only way to live. I spent two years in a "tourist trap", and had to drive for an hour to find a place to really enjoy myself. Ha! Finally convinced the wife to move back to the "boonies", where I can start my rides from my driveway.

S

Sledge

@kf9ez Very Nice!

View attachment 15284 View attachment 15287 View attachment 15285 View attachment 15286
I have a 14' S&H cargo trailer. All welded steel. Heavier than the pop-riveted aluminum ones, but I drag it into some gnarly places, and it holds up. Had them turn the axles when they built it and got the floor up a few inches, but I still drag it behind with the wheels off the ground quite a bit in the mountains.

Regarding cabinets, I picked up an old steel 4-drawer filing cabinet for $0 (they're dinosaurs), and screwed it down up front. Deep drawers on good carriages, and hell-for-stout. It's loaded with heavy stuff and does fine. I like steel. Built a workbench across the rest of the front end (1-armed man HAS to have a vise handy at all times:)).

Anyway, it all works well for me. Trailer, garage, shop.

Joe

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
@kf9ez Very Nice!

Jackal,
Is the rubber tread plate a thick removable mat or is it glued down? I was thinking of putting some stall mats in mine. They are about 1" thick and might provide some insulation value if we decide to sleep in the trailer when we travel. A mini toy hauler if you will.

Bill. Kf9ez

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Jackal,
Is the rubber tread plate a thick removable mat or is it glued down? I was thinking of putting some stall mats in mine. They are about 1" thick and might provide some insulation value if we decide to sleep in the trailer when we travel. A mini toy hauler if you will.

Bill. Kf9ez

The rubber is about 0.25" thick and was glued down onto the standard 0.75" plywood floor when they built the trailer for me. It was an additional $850 for the 44 ft. of rubber material. It is not removable. I am also looking at having the bottom 3 ft. of the sidewalls sprayed with truck bed liner material so it is essentially waterproof and I can just pressure wash the inside out after transporting muddy machines.

With that aluminum floor you have any of the foam material like used for exercise mat would work great. The walls and especially the ceiling needs the insulation.

Not sure how good it is if at all but there is a foil backed foam/bubble wrap type insulation that claims an R15 value it is called PRODEX. It is only 5mm thick. If I was going to insulate the trailer that is what I would use. Here is a link to info on it.
http://www.prodexcr.com/descargas/23 AD5- AD10 INGLES.pdf

I was thinking more along the lines of the R5 polystyrene panels in 4' x8' sheets that are about $15 each at LOWES. They are 1/2" thick.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@kf9ez, I love the trailer!

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
@kf9ez, I love the trailer!
I like it a lot too. Featherlite makes good stuff, and this one has a lot of extras. I was just lucky to find this one used on Craigslist. Red is pretty rare.

The tires are 10 years old, so I will replace them before taking it on a long trip, but they look good enough for local travel.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I like it a lot too. Featherlite makes good stuff, and this one has a lot of extras. I was just lucky to find this one used on Craigslist. Red is pretty rare.

The tires are 10 years old, so I will replace them before taking it on a long trip, but they look good enough for local travel.
Yeah, being red, it looks great behind your P-5. I'll give you $500.00 more than what you paid for it and be there in a week to pick it up!!

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
The rubber is about 0.25" thick and was glued down onto the standard 0.75" plywood floor when they built the trailer for me. It was an additional $850 for the 44 ft. of rubber material. It is not removable. I am also looking at having the bottom 3 ft. of the sidewalls sprayed with truck bed liner material so it is essentially waterproof and I can just pressure wash the inside out after transporting muddy machines.

With that aluminum floor you have any of the foam material like used for exercise mat would work great. The walls and especially the ceiling needs the insulation.

Not sure how good it is if at all but there is a foil backed foam/bubble wrap type insulation that claims an R15 value it is called PRODEX. It is only 5mm thick. If I was going to insulate the trailer that is what I would use. Here is a link to info on it.
http://www.prodexcr.com/descargas/23 AD5- AD10 INGLES.pdf

I was thinking more along the lines of the R5 polystyrene panels in 4' x8' sheets that are about $15 each at LOWES. They are 1/2" thick.
Good idea, I have not looked into exercise mats for the floor. We use stall mats in horse trailers, and they are tough but very heavy.

The e-track on the walls is riveted through the plywood into the aluminum "studs" of the trailer walls. In order to insulate the walls I will have to grind off the rivets. I suppose that's not the end of the world.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Very jealous. That trailer would be PERFECT for my needs. Just the right size for my tow rig too.
If it was my trailer, it would also serve as my camper too! Beats the heck out of a tent!

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
Very jealous. That trailer would be PERFECT for my needs. Just the right size for my tow rig too.
If it was my trailer, it would also serve as my camper too! Beats the heck out of a tent!
It tows very nicely behind my 2005 V8 4Runner.

R

Rustell

We got this 18' toyhauler ...it has a kitchen, shower & a toilet.Good bones, but a bit worn. My wife is a fan of those "tiny house"
remodeling shows. This will keep her(and me)
Toyhauler rear
busy... Best of all the Pioneer fits.

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
We got this 18' toyhauler ...it has a kitchen, shower & a toilet.Good bones, but a bit worn. My wife is a fan of those "tiny house"
remodeling shows. This will keep her(and me)View attachment 15320 busy... Best of all the Pioneer fits.
Cool. What is the make and model, if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking for ideas.

S

Sledge

Met a guy at a campground with a cargo trailer into which he had added a couple of windows and an A/C unit on top.

He carried tent camping gear, but he had a secure house, usable in summer heat, for not much money.

Pretty cool, I thought.

Joe

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Met a guy at a campground with a cargo trailer into which he had added a couple of windows and an A/C unit on top.

He carried tent camping gear, but he had a secure house, usable in summer heat, for not much money.

Pretty cool, I thought.

Joe
I've been thinking about getting into a setup like that. My car is only good to tow 3500 pounds, so that really limits me. No toy hauler till I can afford to buy a truck. I'm primarily going to use it for weekend trips to riding areas. I don't want anything fancy, just a roof over my head for when it rains. My dad is huge into RV's. His is like 45' or something crazy. Doesn't make much sense to me. Go out riding and get all muddy then you're worried about trashing the RV. Not to mention trying to drive that thing back in the woods to some of these campgrounds.

I've been itching to buy a cheap trailer (non enclosed) for hauling my toys. I hate borrowing trailers. Probably just going to wait and buy an enclosed one next year as a makeshift camper/toy hauler.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!