New wheels

M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the stock 12 inch wheels found in many (or all) of the base models. What is the biggest wheel/tire that will fit? I have a 2 inch lift. Looking for the biggest diameter I can get as I am crossing streams with large rocks and so on.

Thanks

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
I have the stock 12 inch wheels found in many (or all) of the base models. What is the biggest wheel/tire that will fit? I have a 2 inch lift. Looking for the biggest diameter I can get as I am crossing streams with large rocks and so on.

Thanks

What unit do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
2016 700-4

Stocks are 25. I tried 27” on my first try. I have a 700-4 as well. Didn’t run then for very long and settled on 26”. Went with 11 wide for both front and rear. Perfect for the 700. We go thru lots of water with big boulders. Lots of swamp, muskeg and mountains. That tire set with a good 1/2 UHMW skid plate. As long as you can get on top a boulder or stump you can slide across.

Reactions: BWAF
M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the info. What was wrong with the 27's?

Reactions: BWAF
B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
Stocks are 25. I tried 27” on my first try. I have a 700-4 as well. Didn’t run then for very long and settled on 26”. Went with 11 wide for both front and rear. Perfect for the 700. We go thru lots of water with big boulders. Lots of swamp, muskeg and mountains. That tire set with a good 1/2 UHMW skid plate. As long as you can get on top a boulder or stump you can slide across.

I prefer to make my own skid plate to get the holes to a minimum as the holes grab the rocks and also give sticks a spot to get in. If you haven’t built a skid plate I could give a little guidance. Built quite a few.

Reactions: MntGoat
M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I prefer to make my own skid plate to get the holes to a minimum as the holes grab the rocks and also give sticks a spot to get in. If you haven’t built a skid plate I could give a little guidance. Built quite a few.

I know I will need a skid plate to get where I need to go. Any tips would be appreciated.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
Thanks for the info. What was wrong with the 27's?

That set I had gone with 12 rear and 9 front. And I did run out of power once at fairly high elevation on a really long steep climb. When I changed to the 26 I didn’t think I was gaining that much from the extra height. The good smooth skid plate I find much more important than an inch or 2 of tire height. Really 26 to 27 really only gives 1/2 inch. Portals are really the only way to gain significant clearance

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
That set I had gone with 12 rear and 9 front. And I did run out of power once at fairly high elevation on a really long steep climb. When I changed to the 26 I didn’t think I was gaining that much from the extra height. The good smooth skid plate I find much more important than an inch or 2 of tire height. Really 26 to 27 really only gives 1/2 inch. Portals are really the only way to gain significant clearance

700-4 stands on the back of the roll cage for easy access to work on it. You will need 2 sheets of 1/2” UHMW. 1/4” bends too easy. 3/8” does not allow great counter sinking of bolt heads. 1/2 is perfect balance. To make your template use the factory skids. Tape them together while on machine. Tape extra card board onto the plates where you think extra would be good. You would make you plate in 3 sections. The middle section covers most of the bottom and all the way from front to back. It should extend 2-3 inches past each side of the frame. Then the side pieces which are not on the factory skid you need to build template from scratch. The side plates will but against the frame and should extend out past your rub bars on the side. I can send you some pictures in a few days once I’m home again. Just away for a few days.

M

MntGoat

Apr 27, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds great, I look forward to the photos.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!