BOX1

new x4 have questions :-)

Z

Zona

Sep 21, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hi all. Just bought a 2020 x4 over the weekend (non-lv). This is my 1st sxs and my first post on this forum. I want to get bead locks and tires but have a few questions. I'm leaning towards 14" wheels but had a few questions.
1. Which wheel size is easier to find tire choices 14" or 15"?
2. I see the offset is different from front to back. I was hoping to have all 5 wheels and tires the same so I could rotate and change flats. How do you all prepare with a spare? Is it just a front and if the back has a flat you install the front tire spare on the back temporarily to get you home?
3. If I wanted all wheels the same size is running a spacer bad for your machine? Super atv has some nice looking spacers but again I don't know if this is a good or bad route to take.

I'm thinking SB3 14" wheels unless these aren't compatible with my machine.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Lil_Steve can post a pic of what happens when you get a rock between a wheel and suspension component. He was running 15" wheels, 14"s will be tighter. Some of us prefer not to run spacers but that's really a non issue because offset wheels will put the same leverage against the suspension as spacers do (for the most part). So, some guys run 4 front wheels with spacers on the rear, others run 6+1 fronts and 4+3 rears (me) - both will end up with similar track width F/R. I 'think' that 14" tires are more common but I didn't have any trouble finding several 15's that I want to try over the next several years.

If you're running different offsets, it's common practice to run a spare front wheel for the spare as a 'get back to the trailer' resource. Obviously, if you're running 4 front wheels, the spare will fit anywhere.

I was intending on being in Arizona last March and needed a spare rack so I bought FactoryUTV's over the bed. Covid happened, I didn't get to AZ and Dirt Road Fab finished their bed extender, tailgate, spare carrier and, since that's what I wanted, I bought it. That resulted in the ability to carry 2 spares, one front wheel and one rear. As stiffly sprung as the Talon is, that weight may be an advantage. And since I'm likely to be solo in the desert southwest, two spares might be a good idea (weight dependent, to be determined).

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State :cool:

Remember...pics or it didn't happen ;)

#NTC

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Canton, OH

#NTC

Reactions: Isaiah
Z

Zona

Sep 21, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Oh it happened ;-)
E70E22DA 2B49 4C01 873A 36FF48C80904
8F00B4D4 7D6E 464A 90E3 BC21238EB6FE 8B8D0E45 0D50 4414 A851 DF264B6DA46C

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Lil_Steve can post a pic of what happens when you get a rock between a wheel and suspension component. He was running 15" wheels, 14"s will be tighter.

I'd have to put this into the "s*** happens" category, would 14" wheels have prevented this? Maybe, who knows. I do know I've read there are some clearance issues with certain 14" wheels on the front.

Tire choice wise there seem to be plenty of choices in both 14" and 15". If you ever decide you want to mount light truck tires then you have several choices in 15", not so much in 14"

I run 15" STI HD9 beadlock wheels, 6+1 offset up front and 4+3 offset in the back on 32" Tusk Terrabite tires. My spare is a stock front wheel with the 32" Terrabite, don't run different height tires otherwise you'll trigger an I-4wd light/code.

Reactions: Isaiah and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi all. Just bought a 2020 x4 over the weekend (non-lv). This is my 1st sxs and my first post on this forum. I want to get bead locks and tires but have a few questions. I'm leaning towards 14" wheels but had a few questions.
1. Which wheel size is easier to find tire choices 14" or 15"?
2. I see the offset is different from front to back. I was hoping to have all 5 wheels and tires the same so I could rotate and change flats. How do you all prepare with a spare? Is it just a front and if the back has a flat you install the front tire spare on the back temporarily to get you home?
3. If I wanted all wheels the same size is running a spacer bad for your machine? Super atv has some nice looking spacers but again I don't know if this is a good or bad route to take.

I'm thinking SB3 14" wheels unless these aren't compatible with my machine.
obtw: welcome. The link in my sig has some Talon specific info that might get you up to speed faster.

Z

Zona

Sep 21, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks for the welcomes and the tips so far. I was thinking of 14" so that I have a little more side wall. Regarding bead locks...the way I understand them to work is that you can run low pressures without fear of loosing the bead so easy. Lets say you are running 10lbs of air pressure. Is that low enough that will make normal wheels let loose of the bead? I guess what I'm getting at is are bead-locks a must have to run the required pressures so that the tire and buggy perform well?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ran down to 12 pounds with the stock tires and rims to help soften the fairly stiff ride in my Talon R (manual says 16) but I was always on edge in hard or off camber turns. I have a set of bead locks ready to go on - it's rocky here and I'd like to try lower pressures without being paranoid about it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Lets say you are running 10lbs of air pressure. Is that low enough that will make normal wheels let loose of the bead? I guess what I'm getting at is are bead-locks a must have to run the required pressures so that the tire and buggy perform well?
Welcome to the club Zona...😊

I will say no to that, I’ve never used bead locks and have collectively 25,000 miles on five SXS’s and routinely run less than 10 PSI without ever having lost a bead.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the welcomes and the tips so far. I was thinking of 14" so that I have a little more side wall. Regarding bead locks...the way I understand them to work is that you can run low pressures without fear of loosing the bead so easy. Lets say you are running 10lbs of air pressure. Is that low enough that will make normal wheels let loose of the bead? I guess what I'm getting at is are bead-locks a must have to run the required pressures so that the tire and buggy perform well?

10psi is my normal riding tire air pressure, even when I had the stock wheels. It's not likely you'll benefit from beadlock wheels at 10psi, I encourage you to experiment with different tire pressures to find what suits you. I will say that the stock tires did not hold up well for me in faster rocky desert conditions, especially when I tried to soften the ride by running under 10psi. If you're slow rock crawling and need flex and traction, then beadlocks make more sense.
Consider taller tires when it comes time for replacement, that will give you more sidewall without having to buy new rims. 30" tires are a popular size for both X/R Talons. You may run into tire clearance issues on the X with some 32's.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the club Zona...😊

I will say no to that, I’ve never used bead locks and have collectively 25,000 miles on five SXS’s and routinely run less than 10 PSI without ever having lost a bead.
Run great tires, w/stiff side walls and you may be able to get back to camp without doing anything but slowing down, the only reason I run a outside beadlock is I carry a tube, no spare, the bead locks make it pretty easy to stuff a tube in and go. The secret is good tires with stiff side walls.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Run great tires, w/stiff side walls and you may be able to get back to camp without doing anything but slowing down, the only reason I run a outside beadlock is I carry a tube, no spare, the bead locks make it pretty easy to stuff a tube in and go. The secret is good tires with stiff side walls.
There’s truth to that, but a stiff sidewall also compromises ride. Speaking from my own experience on all those miles with five machines, I’ve never needed a spare. Plugs, slime (various types now) and that new BA side wall slug that I just had opportunity to use last month I think is sufficient. Only on overlanding have I carried a spare....

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There’s truth to that, but a stiff sidewall also compromises ride. Speaking from my own experience on all those miles with five machines, I’ve never needed a spare. Plugs, slime (various types now) and that new BA side wall slug that I just had opportunity to use last month I think is sufficient. Only on overlanding have I carried a spare....
Well that's you and then there's me, HA! Seriously since I went to the same size tire all the away around, I've had no side wall splits, that was one of my issues and I will leave it as that!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Well that's you and then there's me, HA!
That is correct. You expressed your view and I mine and that’s what such platforms are for. A forum of ideas which helps everyone in making decisions on such things.

Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!