BOX1

P500 Newbie from Ohio looking for advice.

mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello everyone. I have been reading the forum for the last few weeks trying to get info. on the P500. Im a long time atv, dirt bike and street bike rider looking for something different. I have always been an aggressive rider but at 53 I've started slowing things down. I currently own a '15 Rancher, a couple dirt bikes and a street bike.

My wife recently said she was interested in getting back into atv riding with me but at her age that makes me nervous. We decided a SxS made the most sense. I would still like to ride on 50" trail systems so that limits what we buy. I have always been a huge Honda fan so that again limits what I buy.

It sounds like the P500 might not be the best choice for spirited riding on tight trails but again I think I'm ready to slow things down. I still have dirt bikes for that also. A friend of mine does an annual ride in Idaho that I would like to do but I'm a little concerned about the low top speed in open areas.

Im looking at a '16 P500 vs a "17 P500. I know what changes have been made but what do you guys think about the upgrades on the '17? I have always manually shifted bikes and atv's so I think Im ok with not having auto. I had a Rincon and rarely used auto. My wife also knows how to shift. The front shock change would be nice but I can always go after market. I can get the '16 for around $1,500 less. What do you guys think?

J

Jshell3

It sounds like the P500 might not be the best choice for spirited riding
Just as long as you know that upfront... (but I can tell you, my 350 Rancher feels sportier than my Pioneer 500.)

Also, the 16 /17 debate. Go 17. Esp since your concerned about low gearing. The 17 is slightly better. A change Honda made b/c of the auto trans. You wont think you need the auto trans, but I'd be willing to bet you'll use Auto mode the majority of the time.

Front shocks are refined on the 17, as well.

Good luck. !!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Hello everyone. I have been reading the forum for the last few weeks trying to get info. on the P500. Im a long time atv, dirt bike and street bike rider looking for something different. I have always been an aggressive rider but at 53 I've started slowing things down. I currently own a '15 Rancher, a couple dirt bikes and a street bike.

My wife recently said she was interested in getting back into atv riding with me but at her age that makes me nervous. We decided a SxS made the most sense. I would still like to ride on 50" trail systems so that limits what we buy. I have always been a huge Honda fan so that again limits what I buy.

It sounds like the P500 might not be the best choice for spirited riding on tight trails but again I think I'm ready to slow things down. I still have dirt bikes for that also. A friend of mine does an annual ride in Idaho that I would like to do but I'm a little concerned about the low top speed in open areas.

Im looking at a '16 P500 vs a "17 P500. I know what changes have been made but what do you guys think about the upgrades on the '17? I have always manually shifted bikes and atv's so I think Im ok with not having auto. I had a Rincon and rarely used auto. My wife also knows how to shift. The front shock change would be nice but I can always go after market. I can get the '16 for around $1,500 less. What do you guys think?
Welcome mac, Buy the 16! And actually, you'd be surprised at how spirited the ride can get on a tight trail in the P5. Particularly if it's a well washed trail, on that tippy ride, take the baby wipes along. :) What ever you end up with, don't forget the pics.

Reactions: trigger and mack63
C

Chooglin

I would also go with the 16. aside from the auto transmission, I really don't like the other changes they have made to the17's

Where at in Ohio......I live near Ravenna !

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Just as long as you know that upfront... (but I can tell you, my 350 Rancher feels sportier than my Pioneer 500.)

Also, the 16 /17 debate. Go 17. Esp since your concerned about low gearing. The 17 is slightly better. A change Honda made b/c of the auto trans. You wont think you need the auto trans, but I'd be willing to bet you'll use Auto mode the majority of the time.

Front shocks are refined on the 17, as well.

Good luck. !!!
p5...not a sporty UTV
it's a utility vehicle

mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would also go with the 16. aside from the auto transmission, I really don't like the other changes they have made to the17's

I live in Willoughby. Any places to ride near you? :)

C

Chooglin

I live in Willoughby. Any places to ride near you? :)
I have been to bearcreek and really didn't care for it.A really nice family oriented place is Mines and Meadows in PA. , been there several times and really like it.

mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
p5...not a sporty UTV
it's a utility vehicle

Yeah... I'm not expecting it to keep up with RZR's and the like. I've always managed to have fun even on utility Atv's. I plan on test driving one tomorrow.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah... I'm not expecting it to keep up with RZR's and the like. I've always managed to have fun even on utility Atv's. I plan on test driving one tomorrow.
It's not fast
it's not classy
it's not a classic
IT'S A HONDA PIONEER 500

mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have been to bearcreek and really didn't care for it.A really nice family oriented place is Mines and Meadows in PA. , been there several times and really like it.

I haven't been to Mines yet but I'd like to go. I usually ride at Wayne National Forestand Alegheny National Forest. Friends of mine like Majestic in PA.

Reactions: Chooglin
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

Hi Mack . Welcome . I have the pioneer 500 and the a 900 rzr trail . They are very different machines . I classify one as the Jaguar F-type and one as the Jeep Cj . They will both go anywhere you are brave enough to point them . Top speed rzr 63 mph . p5 41 .RZr is much smoother ride and has more features . This being said , I bought the Rzr , had it a year and bought my Pioneer 500 . I love the Pioneer and ride it most of the time . When we go on 50-100 mile rides I have a friend with a p5 and he falls back a ways on the high speed bits but not that much . Most of the trails near me are 50" max trails and in thinking of the 50 miles of them that I ride mostly , I cannot think of any stretch on any of them that I get even close to to 40 mph . So the question is , do you want to spend several thousand dollars more for more speed and a smoother ride ? Keeping in mind HONDA has the best reliability and customer service . My rzr hasn't had a problem except a no ride recall that polaris took 8 months to get the parts available for . Yes that means thousands of people had 15-20,000.00 yard ornaments that were out of warranty by the time they got there recall parts that without the thing may catch on fire ! Polaris did nothing to help there customers . I have a friend with a Wildcat trail that works great . Very small cockpit . Way to small for me at 5'9 . My friend is 5' tall and it is great for him . I would say in all aspects it is between the p5 & rzr . HONDA has the only transmission in a 50" machine = no stupid belt drive . Hope this helps .

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome Mack! I have a 15 foreman and like my p500 a lot more. Get the 16 spend the money on a roof and windshield so you can ride in the cold.

Reactions: mack63
mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi Mack . Welcome . I have the pioneer 500 and the a 900 rzr trail . They are very different machines . I classify one as the Jaguar F-type and one as the Jeep Cj . They will both go anywhere you are brave enough to point them . Top speed rzr 63 mph . p5 41 .RZr is much smoother ride and has more features . This being said , I bought the Rzr , had it a year and bought my Pioneer 500 . I love the Pioneer and ride it most of the time . When we go on 50-100 mile rides I have a friend with a p5 and he falls back a ways on the high speed bits but not that much . Most of the trails near me are 50" max trails and in thinking of the 50 miles of them that I ride mostly , I cannot think of any stretch on any of them that I get even close to to 40 mph . So the question is , do you want to spend several thousand dollars more for more speed and a smoother ride ? Keeping in mind HONDA has the best reliability and customer service . My rzr hasn't had a problem except a no ride recall that polaris took 8 months to get the parts available for . Yes that means thousands of people had 15-20,000.00 yard ornaments that were out of warranty by the time they got there recall parts that without the thing may catch on fire ! Polaris did nothing to help there customers . I have a friend with a Wildcat trail that works great . Very small cockpit . Way to small for me at 5'9 . My friend is 5' tall and it is great for him . I would say in all aspects it is between the p5 & rzr . HONDA has the only transmission in a 50" machine = no stupid belt drive . Hope this helps .

That does help. Thank you for your comparison.

Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
No matter wich one you choose , I think you will really be amazed at what this little machine is capable of.

I live north of Akron. Have a p500 2015. Load it in the truck and go. Fits on tight trails and very capable. Paddle shifters fun. The only thing is the travel. Bottom out risk when riding hard. I used to have a 400ex sport quad. This is not sport. It's utility/sport. Very fun machine!!!

Mines and meadows... ANF ... Wayne national...bear creek... crow canyon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

I live north of Akron. Have a p500 2015. Load it in the truck and go. Fits on tight trails and very capable. Paddle shifters fun. The only thing is the travel. Bottom out risk when riding hard. I used to have a 400ex sport quad. This is not sport. It's utility/sport. Very fun machine!!!

Mines and meadows... ANF ... Wayne national...bear creek...

I need to check out wayne National !

mack63

mack63

Oct 28, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Mines and meadows... ANF ... Wayne national...bear creek...

Thanks, I've owned two 400ex's. I don't expect the P500 to be that sporty. Nice to see there are other Pioneer owner is Ohio.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!