P700 noise at constant speed

B

bbellz19

Sep 18, 2014
Hello all, I have a 2015 pioneer 700-4 I was looking for some feed back about a noise that I am getting while maintaining a constant speed above 35 mph. It almost sounds like a metal ratcheting noise (if that makes any sense) If you let off the gas or hold it to the floor it goes away. I am aware of the rearend noise but it seems like it is coming from up closer to the cab. I just wanted to know if this is normal or should I take it in? thanks

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello all, I have a 2015 pioneer 700-4 I was looking for some feed back about a noise that I am getting while maintaining a constant speed above 35 mph. It almost sounds like a metal ratcheting noise (if that makes any sense) If you let off the gas or hold it to the floor it goes away. I am aware of the rearend noise but it seems like it is coming from up closer to the cab. I just wanted to know if this is normal or should I take it in? thanks

Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you.

Can you take a sound clip or video and share it with us?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Valve clatter?

EDIT: Welcome to the forum

B

bbellz19

Sep 18, 2014
I can take a video tonight after work. Will valve clatter be that loud? Its a pretty loud noise. I have never had the valves adjusted with 800 miles on the odometer. Will valve clatter also not be noticeable at lower speeds and full throttle?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have seen it go away completely under full throttle. I've also seen it only present under full throttle.
It would normally be there a slow speeds, just not as loud.

Truth is it could be so many things. Even loose baffle in the muffler.

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have seen it go away completely under full throttle. I've also seen it only present under full throttle.
It would normally be there a slow speeds, just not as loud.

Truth is it could be so many things. Even loose baffle in the muffler.
I was going to say valve chatter too. I drove a pickup once that did what your describing. Made a heluva chatter at a certain rpm but if you either let off or gas it the chatter quit entirely. The valves on the 700 are RIGHT under your seat belt buckles which is probably why it sounds like it's in the cab.

But like @Gator said it could be many things. Did the problem/noise develop gradually over time or one day it just started doing it?

B

bbellz19

Sep 18, 2014
to be honest with you I feel like it has done it since day 1. It has been in storage for the winter and it just seems louder this year to me. so you guys think a valve adjustment could possibly cure this? I mean the thing runs great other wise its just that this doesn't seem right

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Really hard to say for sure but a valve adjustment is a good place to start. With 800 miles you should be thinking about doing that anyway. Could be they were never set right from the factory.

Give this a read if you're considering doing it yourself-

P700 - Adjusting valves

Reactions: joeymt33
Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
I know the sound your talking about it happens to me usually going down hill. My neighbors 15 and my 16 both do it. I just assumed it was from the transmission.
If you just let off the gas or give just a bit more gas it goes away. Never worried about it honestly it's not like we have dual clutches to worry about burning up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bbellz19

Sep 18, 2014
Ive never really tried it down hill. The place I hear it every time is on a railroad bed when it between 35 40 and maintaining that constant speed

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Those are cross ties. They are supposed to be there and will make noise when you drive down the tracks. ;):confused::D

Reactions: Farmer
B

bbellz19

Sep 18, 2014
LOL!!! THANKS ALOT GUYS FOR ALL THE ADVICE . I AM GOING TO TRY AND ADJUST THE VALVES TONIGHT AFTER WORK. WISH ME LUCK

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Are you sure its not your rear brake shoes chattering.My p4 has done what your decribing.Mine will do it with the engine off and coasting long downhill grades.I dont beleive it is valves...It sounds like metal chatter....I believe it comes from how the brakes are mounted on rear

B

bbellz19

Sep 18, 2014
So I did a valve adjustment tonight the exhaust seemed fine I never adjusted them and the intake was a little loose not bad though I adjusted to specs and put it all back together. Took it for a ride and no change. I don't know what it could be!! Now I hope I didn't hurt anything with that small adjustment I did

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Valve adjustment is good even if that didn't solve your noise.

Can you give us more information?
Where is it coming from? (front, rear, left, low high, passengers seat(that would be scared passenger)) I know you said but now you've played with it more.
Does it vary with RPM?
Is it louder at times? (hot, cold, when going fast)
Exhaust leak?

B

bbellz19

Sep 18, 2014
The noise is a loud rattling it happens hot or cold but only at a higher speed like around 35 to 40 mph and if I maintain that speed is when it happens. If I let off the gas or give it more it goes away. I definitely sounds like it coming from right behind the front bench seats about where the back passengers feet would be. I really appreciate your guys input on this even though I feel like I'm not giving enough info. I just don't know how to explain it.

N

Newf700

Oct 14, 2018
Nl Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
to be honest with you I feel like it has done it since day 1. It has been in storage for the winter and it just seems louder this year to me. so you guys think a valve adjustment could possibly cure this? I mean the thing runs great other wise its just that this doesn't seem right
Did you ever figure out this issue ? I’m having the same prob , just adjusted valves but still have the noise

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Did you ever figure out this issue ? I’m having the same prob , just adjusted valves but still have the noise
Does it sound like a handful of nuts and bolts vibrating on a cookie sheet?If it were valve chatter you would barely hear it. If you could even hear it at all.When it happens touch the brake. I bet it goes away.

N

Newf700

Oct 14, 2018
Nl Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does it sound like a handful of nuts and bolts vibrating on a cookie sheet?If it were valve chatter you would barely hear it. If you could even hear it at all.When it happens touch the brake. I bet it goes away.
Kinda does , almost like a heat shield vibration sound but not , and only happens when holding a steady rpm when under a little load , accelerate a bit or back off on throttle and it instantly goes away

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!