the trail with full face helmets
on. With no helmets, it was no
problem to talk up to about 30
mph, but again with raised voices.
It's nothing I would call unbearable.

Maybe you have something loose
& vibrating?

John

Wife and I also find that up to about 30MPH noise is very reasonable. Beyond that with the full roof and the straight cut gears the whine is medium or above. We ride from the house and it requires about 15 minutes on the pavement. During that time at speeds above 30 we don't talk much. Below 30 normal conversation is no problem. Did 60 miles of fire road last Sunday and felt like I was noise fatigued by the end. Thank God for cold beer! took the edge right off.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone added outdoor carpeting to their factory roof. I have a homemade wood roof with outdoor carpeting headliner and its very quiet. Does collect dust, but can be washed.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone added outdoor carpeting to their factory roof. I have a homemade wood roof with outdoor carpeting headliner and its very quiet. Does collect dust, but can be washed.

Do you think that something like 3M spray 90 or similar would hold outdoor carpet to the factory plastic roof?

Reactions: clifforeilly
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you think that something like 3M spray 90 or similar would hold outdoor carpet to the factory plastic roof?

If everything is clean and prepped right I don't see why not . Maybe just do a small test area and see what happens .

Reactions: Redmoon
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe this product or like RHINO lining would work better than the outdoor carpeting ? I would think rubber would dampen sound too.

I used this on the outside of the roof, holding up well.

Ruber coat

Reactions: Redmoon
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Go on eBay and buy 10mm heat and sound barrier (numerous sources). Get the self stick kind. Then cover the rear engine cover in segments that still allow cover and fastener access. Once done, take front seat bottom and flip bottom up. Install heat/sound shield. While seat is off install a piece of shielding across rear of body behind lower seat backrest. This stops heat and sound. My wife and I talk to each other at any speed in normal voice levels. We can even hear dogs whine when a potty break is due. Also, shifting and whine nearly stop making noise with 100 miles and oil and filter change for engine and forward gear box. Oh, don't forget to check the ground wires and battery connections. You will love your Pioneer. We do. It is a direct replacement for our 1948 Jeep that leaked like a sieve. And more comfortable with power steering and bench seat. Hang in there. Do these simple items and you will only have oil changes in your future.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go on eBay and buy 10mm heat and sound barrier (numerous sources). Get the self stick kind. Then cover the rear engine cover in segments that still allow cover and fastener access. Once done, take front seat bottom and flip bottom up. Install heat/sound shield. While seat is off install a piece of shielding across rear of body behind lower seat backrest. This stops heat and sound. My wife and I talk to each other at any speed in normal voice levels. We can even hear dogs whine when a potty break is due. Also, shifting and whine nearly stop making noise with 100 miles and oil and filter change for engine and forward gear box. Oh, don't forget to check the ground wires and battery connections. You will love your Pioneer. We do. It is a direct replacement for our 1948 Jeep that leaked like a sieve. And more comfortable with power steering and bench seat. Hang in there. Do these simple items and you will only have oil changes in your future.

What do you think about adding sound dampening to the hard plastic roof ?

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't think I would. Shielding is aluminum covered. Would hold in / reflect heat at your head. Really don't need it. My set-up: Honda non-opening glass windshield, canvas back, canvas doors and 1 piece top (aftermarket). We run all over the desert with door windows rolled down. Only zipper up when going into storms or super dusty areas. Even with windows strapped down we still hear easily. We don't wear helmets or use headsets. This is a replacement for a jeep or tractor, not a racer.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have the heat shield under the seat, homemade wood roof with outdoor carpet headliner, SATV flip up windshield , soft back window right behind the front seats when its just 2 of us and a radiator fan to blow heat back.

Heat, noise and dust are not a problem for us.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Cab Insulation - Headliners & Walls

Here is what I put on my custom aluminum roof.
Noise is directly related to speed, lower speeds if you manually shift the Pioneer is not bad but it will NEVER be as quiet as a late model 900 or 1000 XP Ranger I was just riding in a Ranger last Weekend.
You got to decide for your self what you value most quite or a reliable Honda.
I like my Pioneer.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's just strange to me to hear someone say the P1K is noisy..

We had a Viking previously, and while it was a great machine, the noise level was one of my (many) reasons for trading. My Pioneer is SO much quieter!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
It's just strange to me to hear someone say the P1K is noisy..

We had a Viking previously, and while it was a great machine, the noise level was one of my (many) reasons for trading. My Pioneer is SO much quieter!

When you compare a Pioneer with the motor under the drivers seat.
To a Ranger with the motor under the drivers the drivers seat the Pioneer wins.
But if compare it a late model Ranger with the motor under the bed it no comparison Ranger win every time.
I am the only Honda Rider in my primary riding friends so I get the whole load of? whatever

To answer the original question the Pioneer isn't that loud in my opinion, but there is nothing that can be done to make it quiet as a new Ranger with the motor out back.
Trade it for Ranger and be happy or put a headliner on your roof it helps and try putting sound dampening material under the seat around your engine compartment.

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
RB3 can fix that problem for you. Their door bushings removed all door rattles from my machine. Now if they could figure out an adjustable latch that would remove all of the bed rattle noise I could get their new sticker :rolleyes:
The bed latches are ajustable, but installing a piece of rubber hose with tyraps works better

Reactions: Mudwing
helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also change all your fluids to
AMSOIL synthetics, especially gear lubes
Should help with whine

Reactions: Trapper5885
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just spray some chain lube into all the pivots and latch points 1 or 2 times per year and has worked fine for me. I would like to add the RB3 door bushings now that I’m 4 years into this P15.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lot of people are associating the whine they here with gear whine when in fact it is the cam chain tensioner they hear. Notice when you put the machine in neutral of park, rev the engine up the whine increases in pitch with rpm. This is not uncommon with Japanese motorcycle engines.

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
nice, im sure synthetic oil will help somewhat

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it does, it would be minimal. What you hear is the cam chain rubbing on the tensioner shoes.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
No one has mentioned hearing protection - foam ear plugs if you wear a helmet are unnoticeable after a few minutes, lick 'em and stick 'em. Easy enough to talk through. If you don't wear helmets, shop ear muffs work great and are easy to pop on and off - I hang mine around my neck in the shop, they're always ready whenever I fire up a noisy tool. I always wear ear plugs on the bike, wind noise alone will do long term damage to your hearing - I have tinnitus 24/7 thanks to being stoopit in my youth.

Last edited:
Reactions: caverat and Mudwing
J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
I had a 2016 Pioneer 500 with enclosed cab. It was loud inside. 1st I installed a secondary muffler. That quited outside but not inside. Next insalled all kinds of sound-deadener materials between motor/grears and cab. Not much better. Installed foam floor mats, Still not much better. Finally lined roof with foam sound-deadener. WOW, what a diiference! Much better! Am now purchasing a 2021 P-1000. Am choosing Honda formed hard top over aftermarket flat-paneled metal or plastic hard tops because flat panels reverberate much more than irregular shapes.

Reactions: CID and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!