P1000 Noisy P1000

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took a test ride on a P1000-5. I thought people said these were one of the quietest sxs's? You mean the others are louder!!! Holy cow! Engine noise, gear noise ... was there something wrong with this one? Or did Honda intentionally make a noisy machine just to appeal to the troglodytes? Forget about stealth, riding through a forest. Probably would scare away any animal within a quarter mile.

I'm looking to buy a sxs to do work on my 180 acres in the mountains but now I'm not sure I want a Honda, or any sxs if they're all like this ... or worse.

Can you quiet these things down?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took a test ride on a P1000-5. I thought people said these were one of the quietest sxs's? You mean the others are louder!!! Holy cow! Engine noise, gear noise ... was there something wrong with this one? Or did Honda intentionally make a noisy machine just to appeal to the troglodytes? Forget about stealth, riding through a forest. Probably would scare away any animal within a quarter mile.

I'm looking to buy a sxs to do work on my 180 acres in the mountains but now I'm not sure I want a Honda, or any sxs if they're all like this ... or worse.

The Pioneer has actually been tested and been shown to be far quieter than all the others.
It is a 1000cc 1500lb machine, but in stock form I snuck up on deer quite often on our land.
The factory exhaust is magically quite relative to anything else, I would still have it but the factory muffler is to large to fit a rear winch.
If you tested one with a full cab, they are noisy in the drivers seat, the hard roof reflects it back down on you.

Gear noise gets better with miles, so does shifting, first service sees a large reduction in noise.

Happy hunting.

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have ridden in and drove a lot of different machines over the years Rangers,Gators and recently a Can Am Commander. And I love my P1K5. Most of the "noise" in my opinion is generated from the tires not only on pavement but on hard pack gravel as well and as others have stated it gets returned and amplified by the hard roof. Our friends Can Am produces a whine from the belt drive that will drive you nuts.But they all make some noise If your looking for silent I would suggest an electric golf cart

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have ridden in and drove a lot of different machines over the years Rangers,Gators and recently a Can Am Commander. And I love my P1K5. Most of the "noise" in my opinion is generated from the tires not only on pavement but on hard pack gravel as well and as others have stated it gets returned and amplified by the hard roof. Our friends Can Am produces a whine from the belt drive that will drive you nuts.But they all make some noise If your looking for silent I would suggest an electric golf cart

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Good point I hadn’t thought about a BadBoy buggy or equivalent that are silent as they are electric.

Reactions: Plumber32 and lee
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I have owned 2 pioneer 1000s and both are quieter than anything else I have ridden in. They need to break in but after the first service at 100 miles they're much quieter and smoother. I just completed the 1st service on my 2018 and it is impressively smooth and quiet. Prior 2 that it was a bit noisy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Golf cart would certainly be quieter but won't help much on logging trails and mud. The irritating thing is that every other kind of vehicle, honda or otherwise, is quieter. A Goldwing has just as big an engine and is quiet but the P1k5 is almost like it has no muffler at all so I have to conclude that they designed it to be noisy. And then there's the gear noise on top of that. I don't recall if this one had a hard top.

This isn't what I expect from a Honda. If I do get one like I've been planning I'll have to hope people are right that things improve after 100 miles.

J

JTW

Golf cart would certainly be quieter but won't help much on logging trails and mud. The irritating thing is that every other kind of vehicle, honda or otherwise, is quieter. A Goldwing has just as big an engine and is quiet but the P1k5 is almost like it has no muffler at all so I have to conclude that they designed it to be noisy. And then there's the gear noise on top of that. I don't recall if this one had a hard top.

This isn't what I expect from a Honda. If I do get one like I've been planning I'll have to hope people are right that things improve after 100 miles.
Sounds like a bad boy buggy is the perfect fit for you.. it’s a 4x4 electric golf cart and you won’t hear it whine or us you!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Have you been around other pioneers are they just as loud? Just curious about perspective...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All sxs are louder than a 4 wheeler polaris and can am are loud so if you are wanting something quite you may want to buy a 4 wheeler and buy some kind of trailer to pull behind it to do your work but if you want to carry other people you will have to buy an sxs and just get use to the noise but I like my pioneer

Reactions: elkguide

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Maybe check out a Polaris Ranger EV. Silent operation, no belt, no clutches, no oil changes, no stale gas, no engine or dash heat, maximum engine torque (and it's a LOT) from 0 RPM to max RPM, many people charge the batteries with a solar panel so you get free fuel. I can't seem to find the battery range per charge though.

Last edited:
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wait a minute... noisy?

I think you need to go test another one. Seriously.

One of the reasons I ditched my Viking is because it was so loud.. my P1k is QUIET in comparison.. I mean FAR more quiet.

I highly doubt you’re going to find a gas powered SxS that is as quiet.

Reactions: Trapper5885
dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wait a minute... noisy?
I think you need to go test another one. Seriously.
One of the reasons I ditched my Viking is because it was so loud.. my P1k is QUIET in comparison.. I mean FAR more quiet.
I highly doubt you’re going to find a gas powered SxS that is as quiet.

Yeah, I'm going to do that, drive another one. This was a new 2018 P1k5 at a dealer so I can't believe it had a problem but you never know. The idea of an electric Polaris sxs is interesting except for one thing: it wouldn't be a Honda and I have a Honda Odyssey, mower, tiller, and a 2KW generator. They're all superb quality. They start every time, no problem. The only problem I ever had was with the generator. The starter cord broke after about 7 years. You have to practically tear the whole thing apart to change the cord. Really. But a good youtube video and 4 hours or so of work (me and mechanical things are never on good terms) and I had it apart and back together again. Started right up. I can't complain about a cord wearing out in 7 years. So even if I have to put up with noise (which seems like it's designed to please troglodytes) I'd want to go for a Honda just to minimize problems.

But yeah, I'm going to whine and complain about noise. The demographics don't favor designing a $20,000+ SxS (the LE model) geared towards kids who love making noise. I'm 71 and Vietnam era navy vet. You ain't never heard noise until you've been in back of military artillery going off. So noise ... been there, done that, don't need it.

Reactions: 0860silverado

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I'm going to do that, drive another one. This was a new 2018 P1k5 at a dealer so I can't believe it had a problem but you never know. The idea of an electric Polaris sxs is interesting except for one thing: it wouldn't be a Honda and I have a Honda Odyssey, mower, tiller, and a 2KW generator. They're all superb quality. They start every time, no problem. The only problem I ever had was with the generator. The starter cord broke after about 7 years. You have to practically tear the whole thing apart to change the cord. Really. But a good youtube video and 4 hours or so of work (me and mechanical things are never on good terms) and I had it apart and back together again. Started right up. I can't complain about a cord wearing out in 7 years. So even if I have to put up with noise (which seems like it's designed to please troglodytes) I'd want to go for a Honda just to minimize problems.

But yeah, I'm going to whine and complain about noise. The demographics don't favor designing a $20,000+ SxS (the LE model) geared towards kids who love making noise. I'm 71 and Vietnam era navy vet. You ain't never heard noise until you've been in back of military artillery going off. So noise ... been there, done that, don't need it.

I've owned a Maverick1000r, Yamaha YXZ1000r, rode in and worked on every Polaris model known to man and bought a Pioneer 1000-5 due to the quiet operation and general feeling of quality. I urge you to find a quieter, better built and more versatile machine. That machine does not exist.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is more quiet than any other sxs make I've been around. Alot has to do with the 6 speed keeping the rpms lower. Belt drive machines rev way too much for my taste.

Reactions: 0860silverado
T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
Wow, I gotta say I'm kind of surprised by a few things in this thread.

First of all is that the Pioneer is considered "quiet". My only other UTV experience has been in my mom's P500, so I really couldn't speak from experience with any of the other competing models. But I've always thought this thing was loud. The overwhelming majority of my powersports experience has been on motorcycles though, which are a completely different animal. The loud-ness doesn't bother me any, but it surprises me that other machines are worse. The gear whine in mine is quite noticeable, I imagine that's normal for these things?

The second thought that surprised me was the OP's thoughts on the intended market. Yep, they're expensive, but lots of us purchase these for recreation instead of work. I seem to be in the minority for my age(32), but most seem to want their toys to be loud and obnoxious. Nothing against those who do, but it's never been my cup of tea. I've always figured the majority of the market for anything other than a purely utility SxS would view loud as a good thing.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow, I gotta say I'm kind of surprised by a few things in this thread.

First of all is that the Pioneer is considered "quiet". My only other UTV experience has been in my mom's P500, so I really couldn't speak from experience with any of the other competing models. But I've always thought this thing was loud. The overwhelming majority of my powersports experience has been on motorcycles though, which are a completely different animal. The loud-ness doesn't bother me any, but it surprises me that other machines are worse. The gear whine in mine is quite noticeable, I imagine that's normal for these things?

The second thought that surprised me was the OP's thoughts on the intended market. Yep, they're expensive, but lots of us purchase these for recreation instead of work. I seem to be in the minority for my age(32), but most seem to want their toys to be loud and obnoxious. Nothing against those who do, but it's never been my cup of tea. I've always figured the majority of the market for anything other than a purely utility SxS would view loud as a good thing.

I used to like noise. However, as I've gotten older, I prefer less. My Hayabusa still has the facory cans on it, (partially because they crash good too...). As I said earlier, one of the reasons for trading out of the Viking was the noise. After owning it for 2.5 years, my wife and I stopped at a Honda dealer and jumped in a P1K. When I started it up, we both just sat there and looked at each other with this shocked look on our faces... I said; "Damn girl! We could actually carry on a conversation in this one!"

About the only machine I'd want to hear some noise in would be a street rod. I'm on the hunt for an early Chev pickup, and you can bet, it'll have a lumpy cammed big block with 3" exhaust & flowmasters.. THAT is the only place I wanna hear some noise.

I'll wager that if the Honda 1K is too noisy for the OP, his only option will be to go electric.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The difference between my 700 and my 1000 is that even WITH the HMF “quite” to fit a rear winch I can carry on a conversation at 30 where as with my 700 anything above 15 and you were screaming at each other.

The 700 is about the industry average for a Utility machine and the 1000 is relative to all the other utility machines quieter by a wide margins to 30-40mph and still quieter than the rest after that but not by much.

One thing to consider in that difference is ALL the others are CVT which means the motors are turning much higher RPMs just to get the things moving while the Honda has gears and is at a much lower RPM until it’s got everything going and you start pushing it to go faster. Even then some of the sound IS coming from the gears which is some of what makes it get louder but it is STILL measured to be quieter than the rest of the market.

It’s an oversized ATV, I accept that it’s not a Jeep or a Sedan, and deal with noise, dust, and heat.

For a Jeep to go where I have taken my 1000-5 it’d easily cost double what I’ve got in my Pioneer it’s also never go those places at near the speed the Pioneer can, and if it could go where I’ve taken it, it would be utterly useless around the homestead or on the street as a daily.

There are trade offs for everything, the OP has his own requirements based on his wants and needs. The “troglodyte” comment was asking for rude replies on a Honda SXS forum but I suspect that might have been desired.

W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Can you quiet these things down?[/QUOTE]

Mine's quiet at idle and lower speeds. I agree the cabin noise with a hard top is amplified.
In contrast, neighbors drive Polaris, mostly 500s and one 1000.
We live on a 2 mile loop with a neighbor about a mile down the mountain. I can hear their 500 Polaris for about 10 minutes before they arrive at the top of the mountain due to the constant RPM's with the CVT. They sound like a single speed clutch go kart or mini bike.

Using manual shift, you have choice with the Pioneer, Rev it up or shift around 3000 Rpm and keep it relatively quiet.

I own Honda cars as well and even though the price of the SxS approach or exceed some of those, the mission is entirely different. Closest comparison is probably a dirt bike instead of an automobile. My Jeep does 80% of the SxS mission, but it is not the same as going out, jumping in and heading around the mountain on a moments notice, maybe even hanging the rear end out around the gravel curves in 2 wheel mode.

Not sure of your needs, maybe a 4 wheeler would be a better fit.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!