P1000 Noob question - What size Terrabites to run on stock 1000-5 LE?

F

flipperoonyPTD

Mar 25, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got my 1000-5 a few weeks ago and it came on the Bighorn 2.0 4PR. I have a ride planned in Colorado in July and these will not make it. Looking at my options, the Terrabites seem to be the most affordable option with positive reviews. The only negative I have seen is that they appear to be very thin compared to the listed tire size (11" rear tire measures closer to 9" when inflated). With that in mind, I am looking for guidance from folks who have run these on which width to order to fit stock rims the best.

To anyone running the stock sized Terrabites, is the front tire truly 9"?

Reactions: Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
Yes, they run small.
But normally people are not concerned with width. Its height they are looking at.
For example. my 30x10x14 terabytes @14psi is 29" tall. My 28x10x14's were just a hair over 27.
Sorry... I have never measured width.

What size wheel do you have? 12 or 14?
Are you staying with the factory wheels?

If you have 12". you're kinda limited to 27x9x12 and 27x11x12
If 14's, you can go with 27x9+27x11.

If you add spacers... You can run 28x10x14 all around on factory setup.
But you would need 1" for the front and 1.5 for the rear.

F

flipperoonyPTD

Mar 25, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,
Yes, they run small.
But normally people are not concerned with width. Its height they are looking at.
For example. my 30x10x14 terabytes @14psi is 29" tall. My 28x10x14's were just a hair over 27.
Sorry... I have never measured width.

What size wheel do you have? 12 or 14?
Are you staying with the factory wheels?

If you have 12". you're kinda limited to 27x9x12 and 27x11x12
If 14's, you can go with 27x9+27x11.

If you add spacers... You can run 28x10x14 all around on factory setup.
But you would need 1" for the front and 1.5 for the rear.
Thanks for the reply and information. I am leaving it on the factory 14” rims, the stock Bighorns are 27x9 and 27x11 and look great size wise. My concern with the width of the Terrabites is partially cosmetic and partially performance pulling through a little mud here locally until I just set up a set just for muddy trails.

To confirm, adding the wheel spacers you recommended would allow me to clear 28x10x14’s all around with no rubbing, right?

TumaloKeith

TumaloKeith

Jul 28, 2020
Powell Butte
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can run 28x10x14 all around on factory setup
I've got the same situation. Stock 14 inch wheels with 4 ply bighorns. Looking for an 8 or 10 ply tire option and considering the same tire or maybe STI (X-comp) or something. So I see several users are going to the same tire width all around as you suggest, so instead of 9 inch front going to 10 or 11 inch all around. How does that affect steering and how the rig handles with the larger tire up front. It looks like there is plenty of room.

Hey, I'm new to this, but I don't get the 1.5 inch rear spacer. So the replacement tire is about 1 inch narrower at the wheel, but 28 inch vs 27 inch. Seems like kind of a push?

Last edited:
EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the reply and information. I am leaving it on the factory 14” rims, the stock Bighorns are 27x9 and 27x11 and look great size wise. My concern with the width of the Terrabites is partially cosmetic and partially performance pulling through a little mud here locally until I just set up a set just for muddy trails.

To confirm, adding the wheel spacers you recommended would allow me to clear 28x10x14’s all around with no rubbing, right?
I’ve got 29x9x14 Terrabites on all for corners using stock deluxe front rims @12psi. I also have a 2” lift with 1” wheel spacers. The ride/drive has definitely improved over the BH 2.0’s.
I’ve had these tires in deep mud and also STEEP loose rock trails. I have no regrets buying the Terrabites! Tires are getting EXPENSIVE!

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Terrabites are not any type of mud tire they are great on hard pack dirt and rocks and they wear great. After getting pulled out of mud holes and backing off hills that I walked through with bighorns I sold them. im not knocking this tire at all the description says medium and hard pack and that's what there for. I'm going back to trilobites and I got a set of boggers for when its real muddy

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Terrabites are not any type of mud tire they are great on hard pack dirt and rocks and they wear great. After getting pulled out of mud holes and backing off hills that I walked through with bighorns I sold them. im not knocking this tire at all the description says medium and hard pack and that's what there for. I'm going back to trilobites and I got a set of boggers for when its real muddy
I’ve been looking at the trilobite. Do you have any idea how true to size they are.

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
I have 28-10-14 terrabites on my 1000-5le on tusk beadlocks 14x7 5+2 offset wheels. No rubbing. I did get 1” spacers for the rear to even the track width. I can tell you they are wider than my oem front tires. I never measured exactly but I did look at them side by side. Also taller but not a true 28”. So far they have worked great in mud snow and hard pack. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!