JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just as i expcted. I babied my machine first 100 miles. Never went over 12 mph. Oil was perfectly fine by the naked eye. No metal shavings
Wow, Good for you 👍
I treated mine like a unwanted red headed step child right out the gate 😂😂😂 been good to me since 👍

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I always try to change the oil in a new engine before 100 miles, there's an unknown amount of machining/assembly debris that I want out ASAP, some will be worse than others.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
OP, I kind of feel the same way. How many car or truck manufacturers require an oil change at 100 miles? I will guess, ZERO! Are the manufacturing processes significantly different? I think not. With that said, I did the 100 mile change on my Talon. It felt like a waste of 6 perfectly good quarts of oil.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP, I kind of feel the same way. How many car or truck manufacturers require an oil change at 100 miles? I will guess, ZERO! Are the manufacturing processes significantly different? I think not. With that said, I did the 100 mile change on my Talon. It felt like a waste of 6 perfectly good quarts of oil.
I agree with you.

For those who choose to change oil and filter at 100 miles I'm sure it won't hurt anything. Extra caution is not a bad idea but probably not necessary.

Manufacturing methods, metallurgy, lubricants, and filtration are all vastly improved from what they were many years ago when some of us were young.

Some non-mechanical types buy new cars and trucks and just drive them without regard for routine maintenance. They trade them in after the last payment is made and buy another. I could never do that but they get away with it.

When I was active on a Dodge-Cummins website several years ago some yahoos went to great effort to come up with the goofiest ideas I ever heard. Some would change the engine oil filters and top off the oil but never change the oil. Others would send oil samples off to labs instead of simply changing the oil. The labs supposedly to examine the oil and send them back a computer-generated report of micron-sized particles in the oil. The samples cost about as much as three gallons of Shell Rotella 15-40 and a Fleetguard filter. The mighty Cummins engines ignored their goofy efforts and kept on performing for hundreds of thousands of miles. Modern engines are tough and durable.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I repurpose oil like that for the chainsaw etc.

Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
I changed my 700 at 100 miles. Probably fine to not change oil but definitely should change filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!