BOX1

Talon Not so intelligent after all

L

Lovetorque

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia falls mt
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Went four wheeling on snow pack roads , got completely high centered,threw the winch out front started to pull and drive and only one front tire would in gauge. Got off the snow and all worked fine after getting all four planted on more solid ground. It appears the system does not know what to do when it is completely suspended in the air . I also discovered that in automatic mode you can still manually shift up and down but it will do it’s own thing when left alone as far as upshifting and downshifting, Also when you manually shift in automatic mode it instantly indicates the gears that you are in

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct.
No need for 4x4 lock if the wheels are not touching ground. Adequate back pressure is also required for the diff to lock.

And if your in auto it is in auto.
Flip to manual of you want it to hold.
Manually shifting without putting in MT is still auto. It will up or down shift as rpm's hit thresholds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Correct.
No need for 4x4 lock if the wheels are not touching ground. Adequate back pressure is also required for the diff to lock.

Manually shifting without putting in MT is still auto. It will up or down shift as rpm's hit thresholds.

But did ya see the part about the i4wd not turning the wheels... lol

Locked diffs are clearly superior!

L

Lovetorque

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia falls mt
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Correct.

I Assumed it was simple logic why it was not in gauging Would’ve made no difference either since they were all hanging in the air I would not trade the set up for a locked diff for any amount of money the joy of having the front tires both turning when needed and actually being able to steer the steering wheel is priceless anybody that drives one of these for a short amount of time will understand why they call it an intelligent front Diff

L

Lovetorque

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia falls mt
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Correct.

Yes I was trying to say is you you don’t have to be in manual mode to manually shifted you can manually shift it while it is in auto mode also, it will no longer read high it will revert to telling you which gear you are actually in

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
But did ya see the part about the i4wd not turning the wheels... lol

Locked diffs are clearly superior!

So if either machine drive train 4WD lock or I-4WD is suspended with no tires on the ground how is spinning aimlessly superior to not spinning? Neither machine would move without the high center condition being changed via winch or tow.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If all four of your tires are hanging in the air because you were high centered how would the front locking differential be superior
Because it doesn't give you that loud POP that @JTW is accustom to when it grabs traction after a few inches of winching.

I agree. Steering with the i4x4 is great.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes I was trying to say is you you don’t have to be in manual mode to manually shifted you can manually shift it while it is in auto mode also, it will no longer read high it will revert to telling you which gear you are actually in

That’s the same way the Deluxe works as well.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Another i4wd fight about to go down lol. Gotta be honest, I see positives and negatives with both systems, I don’t think there is truly a winner either way just personal preferences. Most times when you gain something you lose something else.

L

Lovetorque

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia falls mt
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So if either machine drive train 4WD lock or I-4WD is suspended with no tires on the ground how is spinning aimlessly superior to not spinning? Neither machine would move without the high center condition being changed via winch or tow.
Exactly,l just assumed all for would turn suspended or not , I have had front lockers on previous sxs, there great when driven straight , they suck in a turn, we watched the talon and the front never appears to not have full power delivered to both front tires will still being able to easily turn the steering wheel,for those who don’t think it’s any good keep your e locker and enjoy your ride, as you should. I love the fact that my front tires in a turn only apply the correct speed to each wheel for the radius needed, e lockers fight each other because one is trying to make the other one turn at speed that binds up the dive train an add undo stress to the entire drive train

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!