Talon Odd EPS issue

O

Ou8alizzard

Mar 30, 2019
Az
Got in the talon today started it up in my garage to let it warm up. Took longer then normal for the wife to be ready to go. When I was backing her up the EPS light was flashing and no assist.
I checked the ground on the battery it was tight fuse was good. The odd part.... when the cooling fan comes on the EPS light goes out and power assist workes until the cooling fan turns off again..... any thought guys?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
Expecting to be similar of the Pioneer 1000's. A ground can cause this.
You did the battery. There is one on the engine and the frame. Don't have my book handy right now to look but I will shortly for locations.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
O

Ou8alizzard

Mar 30, 2019
Az
Hi,
Expecting to be similar of the Pioneer 1000's. A ground can cause this.
You did the battery. There is one on the engine and the frame. Don't have my book handy right now to look but I will shortly for locations.
Checked all know ground points battery to engine engine to frame and the ground point under the drivers seat. I have one last thing to try before it goes into the dealer. Will post results.

O

Ou8alizzard

Mar 30, 2019
Az
Well I think I found it! Does not explain working when cooling fan is on, did a battery test 70 CCA is all it is showing. unit was starting sluggish. I pulled a battery out of my f350 and jumped the Tallon Light stays off and EPS is working fine when jump battery is hooked up, light comes on immediately when jump battery is disconnected.
Edit.... the owners manual says the light will come on and stay on when there is a fault my light was flashing sporadically. Tried counting the flashes there wasn't a pattern to count.

H

HondaTech

Do yourself a favor and check the charging system when you get the battery charged or replaced.

I had a customer who purchased a 1000 LE elsewhere and brought it in with a no crank. He'd had the purchasing dealer replace the battery already and it still wouldn't stay charged. We found the regulator/rectifier unplugged and the unit wasn't ever charging the battery.

O

Ou8alizzard

Mar 30, 2019
Az
Do yourself a favor and check the charging system when you get the battery charged or replaced.

I had a customer who purchased a 1000 LE elsewhere and brought it in with a no crank. He'd had the purchasing dealer replace the battery already and it still wouldn't stay charged. We found the regulator/rectifier unplugged and the unit wasn't ever charging the battery.
Battery tester says its charging at 14.6 did not test the ripple.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!