P1000 Oil Change

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok everyone I have a question... So I did my second oil change on my 1000 the other day and the first time I got the oil like right below the top fill line on the dipstick. Now this time I may have overfilled it and its right above the top line on the dipstick. Do I drain some out or will I be fine? Thanks to hondasxs for the pic I found on google I edited it to show where my level is at(Red Arrow). Thanks for any info.

Unknown

Reactions: Mudwing and BWAF
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wouldn’t drain any out. I always thought a hair over was fine due to the off camber situations the engine goes through sometimes.
THANKS! I didn't wanna wreck anything and was telling myself I'd be ok lol. Just wanted to get some re assurance from someone. I know my previous 500s I've been a little over and it was ok. Just making sure for this one. Thanks again!!

Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ditto what Mudwing said. Now...if it were an inch over, then I would drain some out. A way overfilled crankcase leaves no air for expansion/contraction and could lead to blown oil seals. But you're ok at that level.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok now another question for you guys. With the new clutch update how long is a person good for as far as smoking the clutch? Just had to go get my brother in law out and I got stuck. I could still move but when I was getting winched backwards it took a little bit of gas to get it going. It was like around 10 seconds or less probably even less then 5 then I popped right out of the hole.

I don’t know why I’m so paranoid about burning up those clutches lol. Just don’t want anything wrong with it I guess since my last pioneer 500 was in the shop most of last summer I’m just paranoid.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok now another question for you guys. With the new clutch update how long is a person good for as far as smoking the clutch? Just had to go get my brother in law out and I got stuck. I could still move but when I was getting winched backwards it took a little bit of gas to get it going. It was like around 10 seconds or less probably even less then 5 then I popped right out of the hole.

I don’t know why I’m so paranoid about burning up those clutches lol. Just don’t want anything wrong with it I guess since my last pioneer 500 was in the shop most of last summer I’m just paranoid.

With the update, you will overheat the motor before you overhear the clutch, this means you have a temp meter on the dash AND and IDIOT light.

Even if you get the idiot light, assuming g you stop and let it cool all should still be fine.

Reactions: Little_g and BWAF
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With the update, you will overheat the motor before you overhear the clutch, this means you have a temp meter on the dash AND and IDIOT light.

Even if you get the idiot light, assuming g you stop and let it cool all should still be fine.
I do have the clutch update done so what you said makes me feel better. It’s not like I sat there and romped on it when I was stuck. It was like 10 seconds or less and it took a lot to get it going and the tires did spin. Feel better now. Thanks! And yes I have my temp gauge on all the time. Something I just like to watch to make sure.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was in the same boat then read the book and you do not screw the dip stick in only drop it in the hole HAHA.

KenC

KenC

Dec 28, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok everyone I have a question... So I did my second oil change on my 1000 the other day and the first time I got the oil like right below the top fill line on the dipstick. Now this time I may have overfilled it and its right above the top line on the dipstick. Do I drain some out or will I be fine? Thanks to hondasxs for the pic I found on google I edited it to show where my level is at(Red Arrow). Thanks for any info.

View attachment 84905
I have a similar question, I just did my first oil change and put in exactly the amount indicated in the owner's manual, 6.1 quarts and replaced both filters. It is now showing way over on the dip stick. Should I be concerned about this? Or is it no big deal? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 0860silverado
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You need to correct it.
At least get it within the marks by siphoning some out.

Assuming you following oil check guidelines correctly.

Question.
You did drain both plugs correct?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenC and Mudwing
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I suspect the hashmarks on the oil stick are relative, so being a little over is okay, my opinion. If you think "calling" on the engine/clutch was severe, then I would change it...

Reactions: Mudwing
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
look at the manual to see if the dip stick need to be screwed in or not I think the you do not screw the dip stick in gust drop it in and pull it out and read not sure I have to look it up every time my self!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a similar question, I just did my first oil change and put in exactly the amount indicated in the owner's manual, 6.1 quarts and replaced both filters. It is now showing way over on the dip stick. Should I be concerned about this? Or is it no big deal? Thanks in advance.
Did you run it for a few minutes after filling? The oil pump has to refill all the cavities and both filter housings that were emptied when you drained it. If you put 6.1 qts in and checked it before running for a while, it's gonna read incorrectly.

Reactions: KenC
KenC

KenC

Dec 28, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you run it for a few minutes after filling? The oil pump has to refill all the cavities and both filter housings that were emptied when you drained it. If you put 6.1 qts in and checked it before running for a while, it's gonna read incorrectly.
Yes, I ran it for about 15 minutes and it still is reading very high. So I guess I'll drain some out. Thanks for the response!

KenC

KenC

Dec 28, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You need to correct it.
At least get it within the marks by siphoning some out.

Assuming you following oil check guidelines correctly.

Question.
You did drain both plugs correct?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick response, Yes I drained both plugs and both the oil filters, that's why I was surprised to find it overfilled. I will proceed to drain some oil. I was very meticulous on the amount of oil I put in. To be exact I put in specifically 6 quarts when it called for 6.1. Also I am measuring with the dipstick dropped in, not screwed in as the manual says. Still shows about a half inch high, I'm baffled on how this came about. I also ran it for about 15 minutes hoping the oil would settle in. Thanks again for the advice and I appreciate this Forum!

M

MKKMikey

Dec 2, 2020
Hawaii
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just did my first service oil change. I didn’t realize the dipstick had to be inserted in a very specific way... i was putting in at a very slight angle and it kept reading dry, so I kept adding oil... approx 4 Oz more than what was called for... and then I figured out why it was reading dry. it’s reading a little high now... does 1/2 cup extra seem like too much? Also any suggestions for a torque wrench? The forward nut doesn’t allow clearance for me to get my 15” underneath the rig

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!