ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I haven't been the best about checking the oil on my p5. I have about 1900 miles on it and I have had it a year now.

I have been changing the oil every 500 miles since the second oil change, and using a good synthetic oil and a new Honda filter every time.

Last fall, I took the buggy to mines and meadows and ended up swamping it. I'm sure I posted a pic.... anyway, after I got it out I checked the oil and the air filter and it appeared that I did not take in any water.

Fast forward to yesterday. I haven't done any fluid changes since before the mines and meadows trip. It's been 486 miles since my last oil change. I decided to check the oil yesterday since it had been quite a while.

It was low. Almost a quart low. Ugh. :(

So I topped it off and everything seems fine. It's due for a PM so I will be changing the engine oil and diff oil. And I'm ordering a new uni air filter since I've cleaned mine several times now and I just think it's a good idea to get a fresh new one.

I'll keep a closer eye on my engine oil level and update if anything changes.

How much oil consumption have you guys noticed in your machines ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Elkhunter
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
IMO, it's the synthetic oil. Been running Royal Purple in my work car for years and that's just the way it is. There is a bunch of info about it on the web. I think it burns it ever so gradually that you don't notice it puffing smoke or anything. Ran that car, unknowingly, 3 1/2 qts low once. Never ticked or missed a beat and that's running it at high speed for a long time. Little 2.2l 4 cyl. about to roll 300k.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I'm the only person here with a p5 that has noticed any oil consumption?

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV

You will see a SLIGHT increase in oil consumption with full synthetic. A Good thing. It's due to it being slightly thinner at operating temps because of it's nature. Synthetic is waaaay better for your rig!!!

WB

Reactions: Arizona
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Update. Over 3000 miles now. Consuming a quart or so every 500 miles. I do a lot of high rpm road riding and that is when it seems to use oil. Last weekend a friend was following me down a long descent. I was engine braking and he said he saw a puff of blue smoke when I was almost to the bottom of the hill. No loss of power whatsoever.

Is anyone else using oil?

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Update. Over 3000 miles now. Consuming a quart or so every 500 miles. I do a lot of high rpm road riding and that is when it seems to use oil. Last weekend a friend was following me down a long descent. I was engine braking and he said he saw a puff of blue smoke when I was almost to the bottom of the hill. No loss of power whatsoever.

Is anyone else using oil?

It may be worn valve stem seals is my thought.

Worn valve stems seals will allow a tiny amount of oil through into the combustion chamber when engine braking, engine braking creates a vacuum and when you get back on the power it will burn off that oil creating a puff of blue smoke.

Changing those seals would be a pain on the P500 but not nearly as bad as the ones I just did in my express AWD 5.3L van recently, that van laid out a trail of smoke when starting off from a stop so thick it looked like something BOND, James Bond would have laid down to make a get-a-way.I think the people behind us had to use their wipers and fog lights to get through the cloud we left, so far all is well.

Reactions: Arizona and Mudwing
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Valve seals were my first thought. I don’t intend to do any repair until it gets much worse. It’s just strange to me that I’d have this issue since I am meticulous about maintenance.

Apparently nobody else’s 500 has done this???

P5ISALIVE

P5ISALIVE

Aug 17, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I just dropped mine at the dealer. Smoking/burning oil like mad. I'll let everybody know what they come back with. I'm only at appx 300 miles!

Reactions: Chooglin
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
ouch ...I hope it isn't to serious.

I haven't decided if the extended warranty is worth it or not.

P5ISALIVE

P5ISALIVE

Aug 17, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the extension, not sure if it's worth it either. I guess we will find out! One of my employee's buds is a mech at the shop I deal with and says they cover EVERYTHING while under warranty.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I hope they just take care of it for you and get you back out there on it.
I have until march to decide if I want it according to the salesman.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just dropped mine at the dealer. Smoking/burning oil like mad. I'll let everybody know what they come back with. I'm only at appx 300 miles!

Have u checked your air filter? They get dirty really fast. Before I snorkeled mine it would be filthy every 70-100 miles.

Reactions: Chooglin
P5ISALIVE

P5ISALIVE

Aug 17, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Have u checked your air filter? They get dirty really fast. Before I snorkeled mine it would be filthy every 70-100 miles.

Oh yeah. It's definitely internal to the engine. I think it's valve stem seals but there are a couple of other opinions out there too. It's been in the shop since last week and I don't think they've even looked at it yet. Anybody in SE Michigan know of a reputable cycle shop with a good service department? C&C Sports in Brighton is where I took it. The guy at the service desk bragged about how they put a Can-Am with a blown trans back on the road in 4 days. It's been there for 5 days already and still nothing! I even begged and pleaded to get to the front of the line because I have a trip planned this Friday. Very disappointing so far!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any chance of crossing into forbidden territory and checking out Honda East in Toledo Maumee area? I believe they are a larger, higher volume dealer.

Reactions: lee
P5ISALIVE

P5ISALIVE

Aug 17, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I just might do that. I obviously went to C&C because they are local and have a couple of locations so they aren't a start-up or mom and pop...not to say that's a bad thing. I will definitely look a little harder when it comes time to buy machine #2!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Oh yeah. It's definitely internal to the engine. I think it's valve stem seals but there are a couple of other opinions out there too. It's been in the shop since last week and I don't think they've even looked at it yet. Anybody in SE Michigan know of a reputable cycle shop with a good service department? C&C Sports in Brighton is where I took it. The guy at the service desk bragged about how they put a Can-Am with a blown trans back on the road in 4 days. It's been there for 5 days already and still nothing! I even begged and pleaded to get to the front of the line because I have a trip planned this Friday. Very disappointing so far!

I was going to recommend C&C because they're somewhat close, sorry to hear that they're slacking. Like Neo said, Honda East is a high volume dealer and I've been there many times, no experience with their service dept though. US-27 Motorsports in St Johns is the largest Honda dealer in MI but depending on your location Maumee might be a shorter trip. Good luck and let us know what they figure out.

Reactions: lee
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

Mine doesn't use any oil but thats because it only has 124 miles on it and just had the first oil change in it.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
except for what ended up in the air intake when i turned it over (if on its driver side the crank case vent will drain into intake) mine uses no oil. 700 miles so far.

M

mooseman_24

Feb 7, 2016
moncton
I haven't been the best about checking the oil on my p5. I have about 1900 miles on it and I have had it a year now.

I have been changing the oil every 500 miles since the second oil change, and using a good synthetic oil and a new Honda filter every time.

Last fall, I took the buggy to mines and meadows and ended up swamping it. I'm sure I posted a pic.... anyway, after I got it out I checked the oil and the air filter and it appeared that I did not take in any water.

Fast forward to yesterday. I haven't done any fluid changes since before the mines and meadows trip. It's been 486 miles since my last oil change. I decided to check the oil yesterday since it had been quite a while.

It was low. Almost a quart low. Ugh. :(

So I topped it off and everything seems fine. It's due for a PM so I will be changing the engine oil and diff oil. And I'm ordering a new uni air filter since I've cleaned mine several times now and I just think it's a good idea to get a fresh new one.

I'll keep a closer eye on my engine oil level and update if anything changes.

How much oil consumption have you guys noticed in your machines ??

I just changed my oil, only had 1.5 litre or 1.6 us quarts left. I did have the p500 on it's side twice, but I've done a lot of mileage since. Not sure if this is why I lost oil or if it just consumes oil. It sounds fine

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Mine uses none, but if you roll onto the drivers side you will lose some into the airbox from the crankcase vent.

On another note if synthetic oil is accurately labeled its not thinner at temperature, a 5w-30 should be the same regardless of conventional or synthetic. It should be 30 weight at temperature, and 5 weight when cold.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!