BOX1

P700 Oil drain plug access panel?

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I changed my oil and filter for the first time for me today. The 1st service was done by the Stealer and I will be calling them in the AM! The first thing I found was the hardware to the access panel was overtightened so much that one of the ears to the cover was broken. I now get to order another cover to replace it. The drain plug was over tightened so much that the threads are surely stretched to almost stripped. The oil filter cover bolt was so tight that it took two hands to break loose. No doubt a torque wrench was not used at the Stealership as the drain plug was supposed to be 18ft lbs access cover 9ft lbs and filter cover 13ft lbs. There is a Stealership less than 25mi from me but when I purchased the 700, I traveled 235mi to purchase due to reputation and quality of service. The one nearest me sux as they have serviced my last two Goldwings and did piss poor work that I learned to service them myself, it looks like where I purchase the UTV won't be servicing it either anymore. By the way, I need another access cover to replace the broken one? Any Ideas

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's just why I do my own work, especially the easy stuff. It really is not hard, but if you hand a 90 lb kid an impact gun any bolt can be over tightened. If tight is good tighter is better....:confused:

Reactions: Hondasxs
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I now use a quarter inch ratchet on all drain plugs on my pioneer... A little snug is tight enough... No torque wrench necessary. They are dumb....

Reactions: Backwoods
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I now use a quarter inch ratchet on all drain plugs on my pioneer... A little snug is tight enough... No torque wrench necessary. They are dumb....
Totally agree.
Too many people have gotten into trouble because they had to torque them till it popped. Unfortunately it was the bolt that popped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Backwoods
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I changed my oil and filter for the first time for me today. The 1st service was done by the Stealer and I will be calling them in the AM! The first thing I found was the hardware to the access panel was overtightened so much that one of the ears to the cover was broken. I now get to order another cover to replace it. The drain plug was over tightened so much that the threads are surely stretched to almost stripped. The oil filter cover bolt was so tight that it took two hands to break loose. No doubt a torque wrench was not used at the Stealership as the drain plug was supposed to be 18ft lbs access cover 9ft lbs and filter cover 13ft lbs. There is a Stealership less than 25mi from me but when I purchased the 700, I traveled 235mi to purchase due to reputation and quality of service. The one nearest me sux as they have serviced my last two Goldwings and did piss poor work that I learned to service them myself, it looks like where I purchase the UTV won't be servicing it either anymore. By the way, I need another access cover to replace the broken one? Any Ideas
ATV Parts, ATV Tires, Dirt Bike Parts, Motocross Gear, Motorcycle parts and Motorcycle Tires | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

H

HondaTech

Not trying to take up for anyone, but I've had those bolts rip the hole out when removing them for the first service. They get seized in those clips and the plastic is the weak spot. I always anti seize them when I reinstall.

Reactions: lee
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the part from Rockymountain. Looks like just a couple of bucks. The bolts for mine were getting beat up pretty bad and made it trouble to get them off, so I ended up putting some hex drive round headed screws in there place. Sorry for your bad luck but stories like this just make me realize I'm lucky to be handy enough to fix my own stuff.
Upload 2019 6 20 7 6 38

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here's the part from Rockymountain. Looks like just a couple of bucks. The bolts for mine were getting beat up pretty bad and made it trouble to get them off, so I ended up putting some hex drive round headed screws in there place. Sorry for your bad luck but stories like this just make me realize I'm lucky to be handy enough to fix my own stuff.
View attachment 137060
Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just to let everyone know, this issue hasn't been resolved for 2021 either!!!!! This is from Talon X2.
Attached is a picture of the two bolts that hold the Trans. Filter cover. The one on the left, never seemed to tighten. Then it just snapped. Fortunately, I was able to extract it using a left-handed drill bit (Harbor Freight).
In looking at the one on the right, it appears that the bolt stretched. Notice that the threads are different??? Very strange!! I took them to Ride Now and showed it to the Service Dept.. They claim to have never seen anything like it before. They also did not have the screws in stock but told me that I could get a bolt at Ace Hardware and wouldn't be an issue. Question: how does a is metal screw stretch in an aluminum block??? I'm wondering if the screws are made of soft metal to keep from stripping the aluminum threads in the block?? There's not a lit of room to drill out and use a heli-coil. Anyway, be sure to check your threads EVERY time!!! It'll be worth your time!!

20220501 145819

Reactions: FJC 79
H

HondaTech

Just to let everyone know, this issue hasn't been resolved for 2021 either!!!!! This is from Talon X2.
Attached is a picture of the two bolts that hold the Trans. Filter cover. The one on the left, never seemed to tighten. Then it just snapped. Fortunately, I was able to extract it using a left-handed drill bit (Harbor Freight).
In looking at the one on the right, it appears that the bolt stretched. Notice that the threads are different??? Very strange!! I took them to Ride Now and showed it to the Service Dept.. They claim to have never seen anything like it before. They also did not have the screws in stock but told me that I could get a bolt at Ace Hardware and wouldn't be an issue. Question: how does a is metal screw stretch in an aluminum block??? I'm wondering if the screws are made of soft metal to keep from stripping the aluminum threads in the block?? There's not a lit of room to drill out and use a heli-coil. Anyway, be sure to check your threads EVERY time!!! It'll be worth your time!!

View attachment 332336

I cant say I've ever seen this on a Talon or Pioneer. But the response of "buy it a Ace Hardware is bulls***". We probably dont have these in stock either, but would've either gotten them ordered or found something to work until they arrived.

Like yourself, i would think the threads would strip before the bolt would stretch. Ive seen bolts break off in aluminum if the bolt was tightened quickly with an impact. Since they are shorter bolts they might be at more of a risk to break instead of stripping threads.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

View attachment 332336
Looks like cheap Chinese hardware to me.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
filter cover 13ft lbs.
My old Rancher 350 service manual says 7 lbf-ft for the cover.
It's the same basic structure, same bolt.
My pet theory is 13 lbf-ft is the book value for a new, dry (no oil) bolt at the factory.
Some were along the way some collage boy with a degree from a fancy collage saw the "mistake" and fixed it.
(I'm sure collage boy knows what a torque wrench is, saw it once in one of his classes)

@Jerryg I'd rather stretch a bolt than strip the casting.
Heli-coils are no fun, did one last weekend on my truck.

Reactions: DG Rider
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I cant say I've ever seen this on a Talon or Pioneer. But the response of "buy it a Ace Hardware is bulls***". We probably dont have these in stock either, but would've either gotten them ordered or found something to work until they arrived.

Like yourself, i would think the threads would strip before the bolt would stretch. Ive seen bolts break off in aluminum if the bolt was tightened quickly with an impact. Since they are shorter bolts they might be at more of a risk to break instead of stripping threads.
To be exact, they offered to order the bolts but said it would take 4-5 days for delivery. I asked if the bolts were "special" or if there was any reason I couldn't get replacement bolts at Ace and they said "no, that wouldn't be a problem. "

Reactions: Smitty335
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I would rather neither.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've done several.... Had a Corvair (aluminum block). Stripped bolts were common as the oil pan alone has 17 bolts. After a while, it's no big deal. Just gotta take it slow.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My old Rancher 350 service manual says 7 lbf-ft for the cover.
It's the same basic structure, same bolt.
My pet theory is 13 lbf-ft is the book value for a new, dry (no oil) bolt at the factory.
Some were along the way some collage boy with a degree from a fancy collage saw the "mistake" and fixed it.
(I'm sure collage boy knows what a torque wrench is, saw it once in one of his classes)

My old 450S had the same valve adjustment tappets and locknuts as the 700, yet the torque specs are different.

As for the other stuff, it is my professional opinion that Honda uses s*** fasteners in many places. The cars are the same way. DO NOT use a torque wrench on those filter bolts. We concluded some time ago that they won't handle the recommended torque. Use a regular wrench/socket and common sense.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Honda has always had soft crappy fasteners. They weren't any better all the way back to on my 75 XL350.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!