P700 Oil filter washer/shim MIA

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
So I am doing the third service on my 700 and when removing the oil filter I noticed the washer/spacer is missing. I had the last service performed by the dealership. I am debating on wether or not to reinstall the oil filter without the shim. The shin prevents the spring from wearing into the rubber on the oil filter. It has been ran 1 service without it. I performed the 1st service on the machine and I know without a doubt it was there and reinstalled after the first service. What's your thoughts?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have forgot it and everything was fine. But I put it back in this last oil change

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I am doing the third service on my 700 and when removing the oil filter I noticed the washer/spacer is missing. I had the last service performed by the dealership. I am debating on wether or not to reinstall the oil filter without the shim. The shin prevents the spring from wearing into the rubber on the oil filter. It has been ran 1 service without it. I performed the 1st service on the machine and I know without a doubt it was there and reinstalled after the first service. What's your thoughts?
@SundayRdr
I would definitely err on the side of caution here. It may have been fine since last service, but Honda designed it and left it there for a reason.

Reactions: Tflynn and Mudwing
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I just couldn't do it. 3 day oil change. :(

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
They had it in stock but a buddy picked it up for me the next day. I really wouldn't have expected that to be missing seeing how the dealership performed the last service on it.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally have never done an oil change on a 700. So if you asked me to change the oil, i would have left the shim off as well.

C

cwatkins

Jan 22, 2017
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I personally have never done an oil change on a 700. So if you asked me to change the oil, i would have left the shim off as well.

Just did a change last weekend. I searched through the drain pan for a good few minutes with my fingers trying to find it, assuming it fell of and dropped straight down into the pan. After looking close enough, sure enough it was stuck to the filter. Not very noticeable.

Went with Rotella T6 5w-40. Same as my wife's EcoDiesel.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just did a change last weekend. I searched through the drain pan for a good few minutes with my fingers trying to find it, assuming it fell of and dropped straight down into the pan. After looking close enough, sure enough it was stuck to the filter. Not very noticeable.

That little shim sticks really well to the filter. Always check there first!

Reactions: Deluxe700
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Is the T6 rated MA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ohanacreek
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

Diesel oil has too many detergents in it.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I did my 5th or 6th oil change and guess what I lost or forgot to stick in....hahaha its the second time now.
It obviously doesn't hurt to not have it, but tomorrow Im going to have to get one>AGAIN:p

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thankfully I trolled on this forum reading for a good month or so before pulling the trigger on our Honda, so I was well versed on the sticky washer thing when the time came for first service lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!