P500 Oil Recommendations

TCJ2436

TCJ2436

Oct 5, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all. I’m new to the P500 family, and am getting ready to do my first oil change. Wondering what the concensous is on what brand oil is best to use? I’ve heard many suggestions ranging from only using Honda oil, to Royal Purple, to NAPA brand(which I’ve been told is made by Valvoline), to everything in between. Care to share what you guys use? Thanks up front!

Reactions: SouthwestORV
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Cant go wrong with the Honda oil. But I have used the both the Honda oil and the Valvoline ATV/motorcycle oil with good results. I didn’t make the switch to synthetic until the 500 mile service. I feel the most important thing is to pick a good oil with the proper rating and stick with it. I switched over to the Valvoline because of its easy availability (Walmart, or about any parts store).

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I use NAPA Synthetic for everything EXCEPT my P500. Because the transmission and engine use the same oil (as does the
Lamborghini Miura) I use Honda oil.
Here is what the manual shows.
Fullsizeoutput 648

TCJ2436

TCJ2436

Oct 5, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I use NAPA Synthetic for everything EXCEPT my P500. Because the transmission and engine use the same oil (as does the
Lamborghini Miura) I use Honda oil.
Here is what the manual shows.
View attachment 93781
Hey all. I’m new to the P500 family, and am getting ready to do my first oil change. Wondering what the concensous is on what brand oil is best to use? I’ve heard many suggestions ranging from only using Honda oil, to Royal Purple, to NAPA brand(which I’ve been told is made by Valvoline), to everything in between. Care to share what you guys use? Thanks up front!

Thanks you guys for your replies. I think I’ll head on down to the Honda dealer this morning and get me some Honda oil.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I too use GN4 from Honda for decades with no problems... In fact, watching post for years the chance of a oil related failure is relatively low, except for those taking units swimming then drowning or excessive abuse, LOL...

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I'm thinking the same thing - after my Little Sahara Sand Dunes trip this coming week my new Pioneer will have at-or-over 100 miles on it. It will be time for some fresh aceite. Although, I admit I'm leaning toward the Honda "Synthetic" HP4S.

Reactions: alloutdoors
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm a dinosaur and haven't gone to synthetic oil, LOL

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I've been using the Honda synthetic hp4s since the 3rd oil change. Seems to shift better with the synthetic oil. I also changed the gear oil to 85/140 synthetic. A lot less gear noise.
Cool! Which brand of gear oil did you go with? Where did you buy it?

C

Chuckerbird

Lifetime Member
May 26, 2017
Battle Mountain, NV.
Ownership

1. 500
Cool! Which brand of gear oil did you go with? Where did you buy it?
Just some 85-140 oil I had. Used it when I was working to quite some noisy rear ends in some trucks on the job site. It is called Hydo- Tech. Was really expensive. I remember the boss complaining about the cost.

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 in mine. It is non-energy conserving and meets JASO-MA specs, so it is suitable for wet clutches. A lot of people use this stuff in their bikes to 4 wheelers to just about anything else with a wet clutch. Its quite a bit cheaper than a power sports synthetic like Honda and from oil analysis's to customer testimonies, it seems to be just as good. I have a pet peeve with buying higher priced Honda oil just because it's Honda and "I'll sleep better". If I can't find some form of evidence that the Honda oil is better, which I can't, I won't use it on that principle.

I use the Rotella T6 as kind of a fleet oil and buy it by the 2.5 gallon jug which saves a little money. I put it in my Honda Foreman 450, lawnmower, generator, and pressure washer. I'm sure it's a bit over kill putting synthetics in things like the lawnmower but it makes it handy having one universal type for all the motors in the garage. Before I purchased the P500 I used Rotella t4 15W-40 conventional for all of the above. It was fine and met all the requirements but I figured I'd go synthetic with a brand new SxS.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!