Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes it would be 57" at the widest point of the tires. But as you know, the chassis itself is way smaller than a P1k. ;)
Indeed I meant tire width.

Reactions: Biteme
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Looks great! Even though the arms move it forward barely two inches it's way noticeable. I'm definitely thinking about them. Talked to them last week. What the heck, locker teardown, new shocks, new tires, same time. You need to hit a car/bike show with that thing this summer. I've done it. Great excuse for a turbo clean up and inspection. You'll find things you completely forgot you've done...

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Your next project could be some tail light relocation or mod since your giant spare is covering it up now:D. I want to do mine to be more visible on the trail, but haven't spent enough time looking for the right lights yet.

Reactions: Biteme and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Your next project could be some tail light relocation or mod since your giant spare is covering it up now:D. I want to do mine to be more visible on the trail, but haven't spent enough time looking for the right lights yet.

Took care of that issue a couple years ago. Not due to the spare location but for pulling the Toad. ;)

Toad Rear
Snorkel Intakes

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Gorgeous day for a ride, sunny and 70. Machine did great and the ride is even better with the taller rubber. Got it out on the road too, ripped through the gears and was up to 37 in no time, then as usual, she started laboring to hit the limiter. I could tweak the tune but don't want to mess with the low and mid range power, I like it where it's at honestly. Feels a bit more responsive turning now too, not as floaty. Saw a couple of P1's out there, always sure to give them Honda boys a nod.
Didn't take any pics but the wife took a couple.
Btw, was still able to fit through the gates, just barely though. 😏

Gladwin 5 3 too
Gladwin 5 3

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like you got the 1" to the front and new 2" to the back?

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like you got the 1" to the front and new 2" to the back?

Yeah, did it before I even tried it without. Taking it higher and reducing the track width wouldn't have been a good idea. I know these tires are only 1.5" taller but it definitely made a difference in the feel and ride. Glad I did it so far.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Those look all of the 28"s. And nearly as wide as your 26x11's. I'm always a little wary of specs on a site but I looked at the Maxxis page and the 28's are rated at more than twice the load of the 26's. The firmer sidewall should improve the handling and if it rides smoother that's a huge plus. Your loaded radius (actual lift) may have bumped more than 3/4" with that sidewall. Great choice.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Those look all of the 28"s. And nearly as wide as your 26x11's. I'm always a little wary of specs on a site but I looked at the Maxxis page and the 28's are rated at more than twice the load of the 26's. The firmer sidewall should improve the handling and if it rides smoother that's a huge plus. Your loaded radius (actual lift) may have bumped more than 3/4" with that sidewall. Great choice.

Something else that surprised me was the max psi on these tires. The 26's were a max of 12 psi I believe, these 28's are 20. Right now I have them all set at 10. May adjust later but with this much sidewall I didn't want to risk popping a bead. I've been riding on 26's for 4 yrs and these definitely feel taller.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Something else that surprised me was the max psi on these tires. The 26's were a max of 12 psi I believe, these 28's are 20. Right now I have them all set at 10. May adjust later but with this much sidewall I didn't want to risk popping a bead. I've been riding on 26's for 4 yrs and these definitely feel taller.
Nice looking tires!
If I might make a suggestion? As you said with a much bigger side wall with those wheels and if your worried about popping a bead Particularly running the lower desired psi or the max psi. If your going to be on rocky terrain or even sand, I’d suggest to get some bead lock wheels. your worries will be gone and you can run whatever psi or terrain you want. I was once worried about BL like some are but once I did, it Was one of the best investments I did.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Nice looking tires!
If I might make a suggestion? As you said with a much bigger side wall with those wheels and if your worried about popping a bead Particularly running the lower desired psi or the max psi. If your going to be on rocky terrain or even sand, I’d suggest to get some bead lock wheels. your worries will be gone and you can run whatever psi or terrain you want. I was once worried about BL like some are but once I did, it Was one of the best investments I did.
Yep... I put my 26’s back on because of busting beads. But the trails here are primarily rocky, I never see sand, and that was probably the difference. Looks like trigger sees lots of dirt/sand trails. I just didn’t want to spring for the bead locks but you’re right, that would have solved the problem. If I was trigger I’d just wait and see, he may not have that problem at all.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yep... I put my 26’s back on because of busting beads. But the trails here are primarily rocky, I never see sand, and that was probably the difference. Looks like trigger sees lots of dirt/sand trails. I just didn’t want to spring for the bead locks but you’re right, that would have solved the problem. If I was trigger I’d just wait and see, he may not have that problem at all.
One of the main reasons was from tire flex On the taller tires and particular smaller rim in sand (I had the same with the bigger rim as well when I switched before BL) I’d get sand from the flexing in the bead and that would cause me to slowly loose air. Not quickly, slowly. Sucked cuz u had to dismount the tire and clean it to get it out and re seal again and again. But he may just want to see how it goes first. BL are an investment for sure.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
One of the main reasons was from tire flex On the taller tires and particular smaller rim in sand (I had the same with the bigger rim as well when I switched before BL) I’d get sand from the flexing in the bead and that would cause me to slowly loose air. Not quickly, slowly. Sucked cuz u had to dismount the tire and clean it to get it out and re seal again and again. But he may just want to see how it goes first. BL are an investment for sure.
Ah, I see. Like I said, never ride in sand so had no idea of that kind of problem. I do have the 12” stock wheels, so there was lots of side wall. Seems like I would get a ride pushing hard against a rock in a fast turn and pop, I could hear it and my air loss was more sudden. Though it was repaired by simply stopping and putting more air in it, it got old...

Reactions: Remington
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Been riding this new setup for a while now and took it for a good long run this weekend. Good mix of sand, mud, tight trails and dirt road running. Had to haul a** back to the trail head, just me and the wife, running out of daylight and a long way from the truck. We would've been beat to hell on that ride with a factory setup. Extra sidewalls, dialed in WE's and buckets make this about as plush a ride I could ask from a P5. Half way home and taking the whoops with speed I asked the wife if we were taking how well it handled for granted, she said "hell no, I remember"! Gave her a wink and a nod, "money well spent". :cool:

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Whether it's a sled day, wheeler or Jeeps, sometimes that banzai run back to the trailhead at the end of the day can be the worst. And it's usually ramped up and you'll notice your 'suspension money' as much as you had all day....

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Seems like this thing changes every year so figured I'd post it up this way.
Added the OutKast forward arched A arms, new All Balls ball joints, tie rod extensions from OutKast and 28x10x12 BH 2.0's on all four.
It's sitting a little higher and not just by measurement...I knew it would a little but the wife was adamant that she didn't want it any higher off the ground, had her sit in it when it was done and was promptly informed that it was sitting higher. :rolleyes:
Install wasn't terrible but there were a few things that needed to be dealt with. You have to drill your A arm tabs to accommodate 12mm bolts in place of the 10mm factory ones, they're not supplied either. Anyone doing this mod, invest in a bit extension or get a long 15/32 bit up front, you'll see why. ;)
Had the new ball joints pressed in at a local shop, heard the old ones were a b**** to get out so just went new. That wasn't exactly painless either.
The extended tie rod ends have a longer, slimmer taper than the stockers and the castle nut ended up bottoming out against it before it was tight. It just spun against the bottom of the taper without cinching up. Asked OutKast about it and they were in no hurry to answer if anyone else had the issue, I ended up using some thick washers as spacers to fill the void. They're tight now and the hole for the cotter pin lined right up so it's good to go.
Wanted to run the brake lines behind the shocks to better protect them but seemed like it was putting some stretch to them so I routed them to the front. Need to come up with permanent fasteners for them, just zip tied for now.
Had to drill new holes in my A arm guards to make them work but they're on and solid. Was curious if I'd still get the CV bump on the passenger side when at full droop, no more bump. 😁

View attachment 195507View attachment 195508

Definitely stretched her legs a bit, could fit much bigger tires if you wanted to.

View attachment 195509

Added the Moose hitch and had to move the Booger Whip brackets out to accommodate the bigger spare.

View attachment 195506

Lost an inch in width going from the 11's to the 10's, it's sitting at 55" right now. Might bump it out, we'll have to see how it rides.

View attachment 195505
Everything fits and functions. Now to take this thing out and try it!
Hey @trigger man, how much weight does your spare take off the front on steep up hills or do you even notice?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've never noticed a light front end from it. Mounted it about as low as I could go and still see some of the lower tail light. The bracket puts all of the weight on the rack.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!