P700 One of the many "What Tire Should I Buy" Threads

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I posted this on another Pioneer Web Site and got nothing back. This site has always been more responsive and helpful so here it is posted here for some help. Thanks

I am trying to decide what to do for replacement tires for the OEM and that has brought up a few questions.

1. Why the difference in tire sizes front and rear?

2. Does it make any difference mechanically to put 10's front and rear?

3. What difference would it make to go with 25s rather than 24s?

4. What tread design and what ply? I don't mud but do get in mud/snow at times so how aggressive tread do I need considering about 80% of my driving is dry dirt/rock with some frame banging rock crawling.

I have seen a number of suggestions but they are for 1000s or 500s and not much for 700-4 and I don't plan on lifting or spacing. I would just as soon stay close to stock size.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes everyone over there is in limp mode:p
Go 27 inch they are perfect size...Honda was retarded with 25 inch. Cause your ass is dragging all the time..You want 8 ply.... Kanati Mongrels are cool rock tires....I run maxxis big horns but we do different riding....10 inch all around is what I would tell you so you can rotate.... just wait and you will get others stirring...Just remember hard tires don't do good in snow and ice, just hard pac,gravel wear and rocks.... I have some guys here around me that like roctanes too for your style

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
You brought up the one question that I did not ask. Mine came with 24X10 and 24X8-12. I have seen it before where some have said they have 25s. Why do I have 24s rather than 25s.

The other issue is that I am limited in height because of the toyhauler ceiling. I can go an inch or so but not much more. Will 27s raise me more than that?

And, one more question. Will the 10s fit on the front rims?

I keep coming up with more questions.
The Mongrels that I found are 10 ply. Is that too hard for snow and ice and is that a rough ride with that ply?

Sorry, I am just a novice at this topic.

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
27s will give you about 1 1/2" height.
26s you will get 1"
I have never heard of 24" stock 700 tires??
But now I have!!
I'm not sure what you have, did you buy it new or used?

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
And ask away.. others will chime in. It's slow on weekends till later in evening.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
New and the stock tires have done pretty well considering I have done some pavement travel at times to get to the fun roads :)

OK, my mistake. I just looked at them and they are 25s. Eyes are going bad I guess.

So then 27s would give me about an inch?

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would do 9 wide in front and 11 wide in back..
You said you don't mud or snow ride is why I said Mongrel or roctanes

Reactions: Deluxe700
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I do get into the mud and snow on elk/turkey hunts but do not go out just to run through the mud or snow. I probably need an all around tire most of the time. It does not rain that much here but when it does, it does and can make back road travel a mud slinging mess.

I also am thinking of adding the Honda fender flairs to the front to stop some of the crap from spraying the sides of the beast.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
ITP black water evolutions,Maxxis Big horns, Interco reptiles,ITP Bajacross... just a few I like for all around....6ply are a nice ride and not to stiff.
Any of those on a 700 will make a big difference for you...
The Honda flares look nice.
I run the mudd busters and they all but stop the mud flicking....
Good luck man and check out Rocky Mountain Atv for the tires...

Reactions: Deluxe700
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ITP black water evolutions,Maxxis Big horns, Interco reptiles,ITP Bajacross... just a few I like for all around....6ply are a nice ride and not to stiff.
Any of those on a 700 will make a big difference for you...
The Honda flares look nice.
I run the mudd busters and they all but stop the mud flicking....
Good luck man and check out Rocky Mountain Atv for the tires...

One thing to consider if you’re limited on height. Tires arent always what they say on the side at the pressure you’ll run in them.

Example the 30x10-14 Evos I have are 28.5 at @10ksh psi but 30” at 32psi

The 28x10-12 Evos I had on my 700 are 28.25” at @10ish psi and 29” at 32psi

The 27” BigHorn 2.0 Factory tires from my 1000 only measure 25-26” I’ll have to remeasure because I don’t remember.

Those are measured OFF the vehicle.

Reactions: swsebek
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heres a couple more tires to consider. Pitbull growlers (on the machine)and tusk warthogs.
Both do well in most terrain. I think the warthogs will hold up longer on hardpack and gravel. Ive been impressed with them.
20180113 132430

Reactions: swsebek
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Another thing you might consider.
Everyone and there uncle rips off the stock tires and adds the latest after market gee wizz tire from some 'manufacture ' operating out of there double wide trailer.
So there is a little bit of a glut of lightly used stock tires.
The trick is finding the guy wanting to get rid of his before they go in the trash.
Also consider asking your local dealer if they have take offs, some have too many stock tires and let them go cheap (others want full retail and will soon have a glut).

This only works if you where satisfied enough with the stock rubber.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone and there uncle rips off the stock tires and adds the latest after market gee wizz tire from some 'manufacture ' operating out of there double wide trailer.
The trick is finding the guy wanting to get rid of his before they go in the trash.
Also consider asking your local dealer if they have take offs, some have too many stock tires and let them go cheap (others want full retail and will soon have a glut).

I surely would not say the stock tires are the best, but I will say I have been well enough pleased with them to not even consider buying others until these are worn out. They have given me traction in EVERY situation it was needed. They took me up really steep hills, covered in loose rocks, just creeping slowly, never missing a beat.

Reactions: Mudwing
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
On my P700-2 I run rip saw tires. 26” with 9” front and 11” rear. I’ve been happy so far. I went 26” but if had to do over would probably go with 27”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I never had issues with the stock back tires, the fronts a whole other story, I went with the bigger tires also and I live in a single wide.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!