P500 one year review

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Well I have reached the one year mark with very little negative to say.
The intermittent shifting problem is sometimes agravating but I can live with it.
The lack of top speed is a bit boring at times..when traveling to hunting areas near me a bit more speed with the rpm maxed would be nice. Now the good stuff..This P5 is the perfect size for a trail machine. I can go places that I could only dream about in the old Rhino. I love having the gear selection...Took my 4yr old trail riding yesterday...it was awesome. She is a gamer. Anyplace I felt comfortable taking her she was all over it. Ditches hill climbs all handled with ease either in 1st gear a crawled up or 2nd gear with a bit of gusto. We climbed a few hills that would have been difficult to walk up...will try and get pics next time..P5 is also great for a hunting rig. I added a Polar trailer and used it to haul out 2 whitetail deer on opening day last fall...worked better than the rancher did.
Overall I am very happy with the P5...2 key features for me....1 its a Honda...2 NO BELT
Good work Honda

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I would add only one thing. After 1200 miles and 9 months on my machine, the only thing I think it needs is a better spring/shock package. What a fun little goat :)

Reactions: Husker1 and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@hoggr9 Thanks for posting your thoughts based on a year of ownership of the P500. Glad to hear it has been serving you well.

feetpiece

feetpiece

May 10, 2015
What's your take on the lack of PWR Steering? I've only had mine for a few months and so far that is my biggest criticism/gripe.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What's your take on the lack of PWR Steering? I've only had mine for a few months and so far that is my biggest criticism/gripe.

If you really want power steering you can add it easily in about an hour with this kit: Honda Pioneer 500 Power Steering Kit

Ask for a forum discount, they are good people with great customer service.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I added it and LOVE it. Not that it was hard to steer BUT there is zero kick back in the rocks and roots, it steers with two fingers and just makes it more enjoyable especially for slow speed technical riding. It is not cheap but I would do it again.

Reactions: solrus
Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
I hit top speed once on mine but where I ride drive etc your lucky to get 3rd gear. My only complaint is the thing is costing many days of hunting as I seem to just wanna ride lol.

Reactions: maddmax
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've had my P5 for about 18 months and I'm very content with it. Nothing can be perfect I suppose as it doesn't have power steering, the hand brakes too low and there's no storage. The after market power steering kit is too expensive, I'm not troubled by it enough to put that money in it, besides, it's really only an annoyance when turning around in tight spots. That's also the down side to the shifting mechanism, with the awkward reversing configuration back to forward etc. but I bought the P5 first and foremost because I wanted a SxS that would fit in the bed of the truck, when I don't want or need to take the toy hauler, and because it fit into the 10' garage in my toy hauler, and that it does. I have far more fun trail riding in the P5 than I ever do in the Polaris Ranger. The Ranger is my ranch tool with its big tough dump bed and power. The P5 is my toy, and one I'm very pleased with.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I added it and LOVE it. Not that it was hard to steer BUT there is zero kick back in the rocks and roots, it steers with two fingers and just makes it more enjoyable especially for slow speed technical riding. It is not cheap but I would do it again.

That's encouraging. I'd like to see more reviews on the after market power steering kit. Is it Honda made? Also, how did you find the installation process?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's encouraging. I'd like to see more reviews on the after market power steering kit. Is it Honda made? Also, how did you find the installation process?

- No its not made by Honda but by Super ATV company.
- I have it already for 4 months , 260 miles driven , no issues.
- installation was a plug and play process, don't worry , get it and if you really struggle or start or have fear paralyzing doubts , just skype me and I can guide you with real time video :). Read power steering thread by Code54 first, he helped me to overcome some of those thoughts.
- Yes, please call Super ATV and ask for a discount, I got 60$ off with free shipping, dont know what it could be now.
- Ride, snow plowing and hill climbing are way more effortless now and feels like a car.

Reactions: Montecresto
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
- installation was a plug and play process, don't worry , get it and if you really struggle or start or have fear paralyzing doubts , just skype me and I can guide you with real time video :). Read power steering thread by Code54 first, he helped me to overcome some of those thoughts.
- Yes, please call Super ATV and ask for a discount, I got 60$ off with free shipping, dont know what it could be now.
- Ride, snow plowing and hill climbing are way more effortless now and feels like a car.

Yep, SuperATV and easy to install. I did a write up and posted it here with a fairly detailed "how to" for the install.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Thank you solrus, I appreciate the advice and information!

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
Also you can adjust the reverse cable all the way in and it will go into reverse without pulling the lever every time. I have had mine like that now for a couple of months. It will not go into reverse accidentally if you Are rolling forward. You still have to come to a complete stop before it will go from neutral to reverse. By tighting the cable simulates pulling of the handle.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Also you can adjust the reverse cable all the way in and it will go into reverse without pulling the lever every time. I have had mine like that now for a couple of months. It will not go into reverse accidentally if you Are rolling forward. You still have to come to a complete stop before it will go from neutral to reverse. By tighting the cable simulates pulling of the handle.
How does one adjust the reverse cable all the way in??

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
Take the hood off. Look in center up high you will see cable going to reverse lever through dash. It has a metal bracket with 2 jam nut on it. Loosen the one toward the dash till the nut hardly has no threads left. And tighten the one toward the radiator. It simulates pulling the lever. When you get it adjusted you should not be able to move reverse lever inside cab. Because the cable adjustment already took care of pulling the lever for you.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Take the hood off. Look in center up high you will see cable going to reverse lever through dash. It has a metal bracket with 2 jam nut on it. Loosen the one toward the dash till the nut hardly has no threads left. And tighten the one toward the radiator. It simulates pulling the lever. When you get it adjusted you should not be able to move reverse lever inside cab. Because the cable adjustment already took care of pulling the lever for you.
That's awesome. You've had no troubles having done that?

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
No in fact I have had a couple of Hondas same design. And I have did them all the same. No problems.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the tip 393... This will be handy for snow plowing for sure.

jrc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!