P500 Opinion on A Frame guarding

F

filipsas

May 1, 2016
missouri
How much trouble have people had with the boots being punctured? I will mainly be riding in grasslands with mixed brush. Not heavy rocks or sticks. I just purchased my machine a few weeks ago and am trying to get the right things done. Thanks for any input. - Art

Reactions: Marshall
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I spend time in South Dakota and the areas are heavy in big heavy thistle weeds. Otherwise I might not have bothered.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Sticks have always ripped mine in other quads even with guards. Grass no problem but I think thorn bushes might. I ride in heavy brush sometimes and I have 3,600 miles no rips yet. I took a piece of heavy plastic and made my own guard for the right inside boot because it is exposed. The left inside is somewhat protected by the front bumper.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How much trouble have people had with the boots being punctured? I will mainly be riding in grasslands with mixed brush. Not heavy rocks or sticks. I just purchased my machine a few weeks ago and am trying to get the right things done. Thanks for any input. - Art
I put 1,200 miles on mine before I finally installed the guards, and I ride on trails that are jabbing sticks and dried branches at me as a matter of routine. I had no scratches or blemishes on the boots, but installed them anyway. The thing is, you don't need the guards until you need them, just like insurance. Good skids and A-arm/boot guards are a prudent mod to the P5, more important than a sound bar or pretty wheels. IMO

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I put 1,200 miles on mine before I finally installed the guards, and I ride on trails that are jabbing sticks and dried branches at me as a matter of routine. I had no scratches or blemishes on the boots, but installed them anyway. The thing is, you don't need the guards until you need them, just like insurance. Good skids and A-arm/boot guards are a prudent mod to the P5, more important than a sound bar or pretty wheels. IMO
How silly! Nothing more important than pretty wheels!!!!! ;)

Reactions: maddmax and JTW
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I made mine for front and back. Some smaller aluminum angle, pop rivets and UHMW and cardboard to make a pattern with. Have pix in link in sig. It's worth the effort to install something I think. Also did the skid plate with much thicker UHMW TOTALLY worth the effort for greater protection. UHMW is easy to work with if you have some tools like skill saw, scroll saw, drill, plumbers hole saw and pop riveter. Rather then buy the finished product I usually buy the tools, and supplies, build what I like in this way I collect more tools and often it's less expensive (not including time, meaning cash outlay). Plus I learn more skills collect more tools for other projects.

j

J

JTW

I made mine for front and back. Some smaller aluminum angle, pop rivets and UHMW and cardboard to make a pattern with. Have pix in link in sig. It's worth the effort to install something I think. Also did the skid plate with much thicker UHMW TOTALLY worth the effort for greater protection. UHMW is easy to work with if you have some tools like skill saw, scroll saw, drill, plumbers hole saw and pop riveter. Rather then buy the finished product I usually buy the tools, and supplies, build what I like in this way I collect more tools and often it's less expensive (not including time, meaning cash outlay). Plus I learn more skills collect more tools for other projects.

j
I'm going to have to try that.. I don't see $200 for stick stoppers!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
In Canada the aftermarket gear for our machines is either none existent or cost prohibitive in my view. Shipping out of the lower 48 is not practical, nor cost effective. So for me it's build.

jrc

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!