futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
So I've done several easy bolt on mods to my new buggy. It's time to plan the serious ones. On the list (in rough order of priority to me) are winch, power steering, torque locker, tire upgrade, skid plate, A arm guards, supplemental lights. I have installed the Strongmade front bumper.

However, I lack the aptitude for most of these. The mechanical aspects I can prolly handle with this forums' help, but it's the electrical maze that is well beyond me. Even reading electrical help threads here is Greek to me. So I feel like I need to pay someone for some of these, which is fine.

So my question, which jobs should be performed at the same time to limit digging in twice, thrice? I'm prepared for winch, PS and locker at once though it'll hurt a bit. But maybe it will help keep me from pulling the trigger on a new truck!

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Isaiah and monaco
MB_Rider

MB_Rider

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2019
Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have EZ steer in mine and it's basically plug and play. Everything you need is shipped with it and the instructions are almost dummy proof. The part I had troubles with was hooking up the battery terminals together after running the wires. That brass block kept getting pushed in to the point where the threads wouldn't start. I ended up jamming a very small screw driver in there to keep it from moving. Idk what brand of P/S you got but I'm sure the install is all the same. If you any pointers let me know.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Thanks for the input. I feel like I could prolly do any one of the installs separately; problems will arise for me due to lack of electrical aptitude (to put it tactfully). Electrically, I'm wanting winch (with wireless remote), power steering, front and rear lights. Who knows what else on down the line?

Planning and executing these connections . . . well, I'm certainly not at all comfortable with attempting. Just looking at wiring diagrams makes my vision fuzzy!

Perhaps one good route to go would be to have the hitch and power steering done at the same time. Then again, the bumper and winch will be in the way when time to do the locker. So maybe locker first? Ugh . . .

MB_Rider

MB_Rider

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2019
Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Best thing to do is don't even look at a diagram and just do it. Whenever I stare at diagrams I tend to overthink it and become nervous. I read on a post that some guys just unbolted the left front lower a arms and the upper shock bolt as well. Lifted the wheel up and and slide the diff out from there. I will be installing my locker this weekend and that's how I plan on doing it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I like your order of priorities. You can do it all with patience, especially if you take your time with the locker step by step process. Before you start the locker, get a small pin punch, and one to re-dimple the pin hole. That step can be a PITA without the proper tool. As for the PS, keep those mounting bolts loose until you find the least flexing on the shafts, and the upper shaft at the steering wheel can be loosened to slide up and down if needed (at least it was on my EZ steer unit). Both mods will be worth the hassle.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Thanks, Mudder. It will be good for me to do this stuff (unless I fry some sh!t). I love the machine; the thought of increasing it's capabilities should keep me going.

Reactions: Mudder
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
shh, the power steering is in and working . . . how 'bout that? Thanks SO much for the help, gentlemen. It was a fun install.

torq locker next, hooo boy . . . that one intimidates me. Time to rewatch Jason's vids and decide if I wanna go after that one. The part is still out of stock, so .. .

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Am done waiting for the Torq Locker to be back in stock. Was told six weeks ago it'd be two weeks. Have decided to get larger tires/wheels and proceed with a winch. The locker will be a maybe/sometime down the road thing, now.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Am done waiting for the Torq Locker to be back in stock. Was told six weeks ago it'd be two weeks. Have decided to get larger tires/wheels and proceed with a winch. The locker will be a maybe/sometime down the road thing, now.
If you are going with a good bumper/winch mount like the Strongmade bumper, those have to come off for the locker install. Bigger tires make a big improvement, but if you ride alone where you could get stuck for a walk out, do the winch regardless. Locker can come later as you get more familiar working on the P500.

Reactions: Mudwing and futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Yeah, I already have the Strongmade front bumper; wanted to have the locker AND the winch done by now. Was gonna do tires/wheels next year (only 200 miles on the 24s). So now I'll have the PS, 27s and a winch to see what I have to work with this year. Should be fun! Ordered the winch and circuit breaker today.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
OK, so the lockers are back in stock. Have placed my order. Winch due for delivery this week. Still need to find my accessory harness. Can't remember where I put the damn thing. So hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be testing with locker, power steering, winch and 27s. That should hold me for the year! maybe skid/s though . . . :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I've done several easy bolt on mods to my new buggy. It's time to plan the serious ones. On the list (in rough order of priority to me) are winch, power steering, torque locker, tire upgrade, skid plate, A arm guards, supplemental lights. I have installed the Strongmade front bumper.

However, I lack the aptitude for most of these. The mechanical aspects I can prolly handle with this forums' help, but it's the electrical maze that is well beyond me. Even reading electrical help threads here is Greek to me. So I feel like I need to pay someone for some of these, which is fine.

So my question, which jobs should be performed at the same time to limit digging in twice, thrice? I'm prepared for winch, PS and locker at once though it'll hurt a bit. But maybe it will help keep me from pulling the trigger on a new truck!

Thanks guys.
Winch is indispensable. The rest are nice. IMO

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
OK, so the lockers are back in stock. Have placed my order.

aaand, they're showing out of stock again (if anyone was considering ordering at this time)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!