Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whoever mentioned OruxMap this week I want to thank you.
My ol' Garmin eTrex is pushing 8 years old and I think its time for a replacement. I have been looking for a good Phone/GPS replacement and have been playing around with BackCountryPro for a few trips now. I just seem to revert back to the Garmin.
Header31
This week I installed OruxMap on my HTC M8. I have been playing around with it a few days now and have begun to like it. Today I was pulling updates from GPSDepot and see the file of WV that I normally use includes OruxMap files too. I even found directions for pulling offline maps from Google and Bing including Hybrid, Topo, Streets, and Aerial.

I think I am sold.
This weekend I am leading a few local guys around the back trails of WV. I have a route set and plan to use OruxMaps 100%. Wish me luck!
But, I will still have my ol' trusty Garmin in the bag somewhere. lol.

Who else use OruxMaps for long distance mapping?
Have any suggestions, tips, or tricks?
Thanks.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just started tinkering with ORUX myself. I have it installed on a 10" Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 Edition tablet 1600x1200 resolution runs 14 hours on batteries. I have not mastered it but what little I have played with it I like, got all the trail maps installed. I intend to use this in my P1000-5 where I have considerable more dash than the P500.

I found a KRAKEN waterproof case with RAM mounts for this tablet, very secure setup cannot wait to fully test it on the trails.

My issues is lack of familiarity in getting the trails overlayed to a proper topo map. User inexperience I am sure is the culprit.

Last edited:
Reactions: pct
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
@JACKAL once you get mastered im going to have to pick your brain I want that same set up but im not to good with the whole computers thing lol ( as we all know) ;)

Reactions: pct
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back home..
ORUXMaps worked GREAT this weekend on the local trails at Ashland in the wonderful HatField Mccoy Country!
I really did not expect it to do so well. The only issue I had was some additional scratches on the screen protector. I could have been more careful but it was an old phone I had laying around and I kept it in my pocket. Thats what the protector is for anyways, I have another!
Now it is my NEW GPS Trail Phone!!!!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I was trying to plan a trip to ashland this year but funds are to tight how was it

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just got back home..
ORUXMaps worked GREAT this weekend on the local trails at Ashland in the wonderful HatField Mccoy Country!
I really did not expect it to do so well. The only issue I had was some additional scratches on the screen protector. I could have been more careful but it was an old phone I had laying around and I kept it in my pocket. Thats what the protector is for anyways, I have another!
Now it is my NEW GPS Trail Phone!!!!

Glad to hear you had a positive initial experience with ORUX on Android. When you get settled in I would like to pick your brain a bit on how the maps and overlays worked. I read and followed a crap load of directions but I am apparently overlooking something.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is what I was following:

Getting and using OruxMaps

Below is information on how to get and use an Android APP that you can load Garmin maps on. I suggest you download the manual and skim it at least. Along with being a very good GPS APP it has one advantage over all other GPS APPs and that is you can load Garmin maps on it. You do not have to have cell service for it to work since the maps can be stored offline. Your GPS still works without cell service.

If you read the manual you will see how flexible it is using various online and offline maps. The big advantage is that is can use a Garmin .img file. This is the file that is on your Garmin GPS. Not sure how the topo’s and other maps would show up but by my ATV Trails maps show up great if you include the maps .typ file. The .typ file is what tells Garmin, and now Orux, how to display the various road types that make up a map. (what color, pattern such as dashed/solid, etc)

The link to the OruxMaps App is below:

Free Version (same as donate version below, I would start with this one to see if you like it)

OruxMaps - Android Apps on Google Play

Donate Version (I bought this version just to help the author out for his outstanding work)

OruxMaps Donate - Android Apps on Google Play

OruxMaps website (you can get the manual here)

OruxMaps

How to install my maps onto your Android device.

Create the following directory on you device: "oruxmaps/mapfiles/ATV Maps" (all you have to add is the "ATV Maps" part.

I have included the .img and .typ files for my WV ATV Trails 2014, Moab Trails 2014, Paiute ATV Trails 2014, Taylor Park ATV Trails 2014, and North Cumberland TN (North Cumberland is courtesy of Ed Parks) in the file you downloaded. You will want to copy these files into the directory you created above. You can copy all or just the ones you want.

How to create directory and copy files to above directory:

You can connect your device to your PC and create the director and copy the files into the directory. You can download the APP "HD File Manager" (I highly recommend it, it is similar to Windows Explorer) and use it to create the directory directly on your device. You can email the Map files to your device and then using "HD File Manager" move or copy them to the proper directory.

Once installed you select the map by touching the Offline Maps button on the main screen.

After installing maps you will have to touch the little circular refresh arrows at the top of the map page, this tells Orux to look for map changes. Online Map file

Google prevents GPS apps from linking to their map servers and that is why Orux and other GPS Apps do not list them in their list of Online Maps. The maps are still available, they just can’t be linked to by the App maker. People have figured out the links and Orux’s manual tells you the format. I have modified the Orux Online Map links file to include all of the Google and Bing maps. I have also deleted a bunch of the maps that you would never use. The file "onlinemapsources.xml" is included in this download. The original file is

located in "oruxmaps/mapfiles". Just replace it with the file that I have included. You may want to copy the original somewhere else. You will want to hit the refresh circular arrows after changing it.

Recommeded Settings:

Go to "Global Settings/Maps/Garmin Map Settings" and change letter size to 12 or 14. Also I have "Show Labels" checked and "backgrounds" un-checked. Go to "Global Settings/Maps" and change map orientation to your preference. (North Up or Direction Up) Go to "Global Settings/User Interface/Colors" and change various colors. Go to "Global Settings/Tracks" and change Letter size to 16. I have my track widths at 4.

R

Rubicon2

Apr 16, 2015
7ae4c3f2b8ed57d11862dd2fe910c857

This looks cool :) you got my neighborhood on your map :) I stay at the Hilltop Escape :). I have all the outlaw trails loaded on a garmin nuvi 5" I mounted in my p500. I'm gonna try this too :)

Reactions: Hondasxs
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
7ae4c3f2b8ed57d11862dd2fe910c857

Goal = Get lost!

Have you figured out how to show the trails above AND the roads as well, I could do this on my Garmin GPS. Wondering if the DONATE version allows that if so its worth whatever they ask for it.

Here is the Cumberland ATV trails, shown is the Windrock section displayed on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, the trails map is continuous up to the KY state line. I believe there is about 1500 miles of trails on this map tracks. Cannot wait to try it out in 4 weeks.
GPS TN Info

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Does that app. Come with the trails marked out or do you have to dl the maps and put them on this app

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does that app. Come with the trails marked out or do you have to dl the maps and put them on this app
You have to download the files separate and them create an ATV maps folder on the android device them copy the files into the ATV maps folder. That is all explained in Post #8 above which is the full directions needed to get started, the biggest help is downloading the manual for the App and reading over it a few times and then playing with the app. The hardest part is remembering which button does what, once you get the file copied over and trail map you want loaded it is pretty self explanatory from there.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Wow lol big smack in the forehead lol how did i miss that post ive never once used an offroad gps so its all new to me forgive my stupid questions

C

ChrisHursey

May 31, 2016
St. Louis
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm wondering if you guys could help me with a problem?

Using Orux, I installed the North Cumberland maps from GPS Depot.

I got everything to load and I can see the trails but they don't have any colors. All the lines are black, not multi-colored as shown above.

Here are the files I've moved to the oruxmaps\mapfiles\Garmin directory:

23NCumbe.TYP
11111212.IMG
North Cumberland Trails v2.3.IMG
North Cumberland Trails v2.3.TBD

11111212.IMG is the file that shows the trails when I lead the maps. I thought the TYP file would have the colors but I don't know that it's correctly associated with the 11111212.IMG file?

Any help would be great, thanks so much.

Chris

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm wondering if you guys could help me with a problem?

I got everything to load and I can see the trails but they don't have any colors. All the lines are black, not multi-colored as shown above.

23NCumbe.TYP
11111212.IMG

11111212.IMG is the file that shows the trails when I lead the maps. I thought the TYP file would have the colors but I don't know that it's correctly associated with the 11111212.IMG file?

Chris

I will look at the file directory later today. The trails should be in the various colors. It has been several months since I added all the maps. I just can't remember off the top of my head.

C

ChrisHursey

May 31, 2016
St. Louis
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will look at the file directory later today. The trails should be in the various colors. It has been several months since I added all the maps. I just can't remember off the top of my head.

Thanks Jackal. I'm stuck and hoping to use this for an upcoming Windrock trip.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

23NCumbe.TYP
11111212.IMG

Chris
OK got into the tablet and poked around using the app HD file explorer (works like windows explorer but on android OS). Here is where everything is located.

The path or directory will be this:
Device\oruxmaps\mapfiles\ATV Maps\ < It is here that both the North Cumberland.img & North Cumberland.TYP files should be copied to.

Using HD File Explorer app go into Device folder then into oruxmaps folder, then into mapfiles folder, then into the ATV Maps folder (you should have created this on installation). All your added files should go into here. Then you open the ORUXMAPS app and go to these maps, they should be in color just like below.

GPS TN Info

C

ChrisHursey

May 31, 2016
St. Louis
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think I'm doing the same things as you.

Here's the files:

TXfA0rYcLnnFjfFM1eOx9qiTo AjFUSh dBU3mm8UxtNlbV6Wkc7wD4RXnhYXIKfX5JvRxXBxYzWeNFo90yw548 h935 no

When I open "11111212.img" I get this:

BjUYYYdrkgvzNNsks3EyzdTw01tpkaenrpkxEfWuQMX39cjJBVmn3DGfokBjFVCqVekKucj8ZmThh5X3Ebbw548 h935 no

When I open "North Cumberland Trails v2.3.img" I basically get nothing, shows up like this:

Kf3U1FoInswUtGDDG4mwxcLvn3gEhPFh82GrAa82dhGE8MxMKe549gxduldyEzl9Nb0GgwdBev4EChKRpA7w548 h935 no

Should I be opening the "North Cumberland Trails v2.3.img" or the "11111212.img"? I find it strange the "North Cumberland Trails v2.3.img" file doesn't give me anything. But it also doesn't seem like the TYP file is associated with the 1111212.img file.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think I'm doing the same things as you.

Here's the files:

View attachment 16190

When I open "11111212.img" I get this:

View attachment 16191

When I open "North Cumberland Trails v2.3.img" I basically get nothing, shows up like this:

View attachment 16192

Should I be opening the "North Cumberland Trails v2.3.img" or the "11111212.img"? I find it strange the "North Cumberland Trails v2.3.img" file doesn't give me anything. But it also doesn't seem like the TYP file is associated with the 1111212.img file.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

How are you opening the files? by clicking on them? They should be loaded through the oruxmap app.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!