jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
I know this has been discussed before, but my symptoms are a little different. 2019 P500 is overheating. The radiator is clean and full. The radiator also gets hot and the fan also turns on. But it overheats riding around the same as the other one I have that never goes over two bars. I have it at the dealer for possible warranty repair, but am wondering if anyone else has had this same issue?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not too many 500's with this issue really.
Mostly the 1000's.
Could be a stuck thermostat or a air pocket. That's really the only causes if the fan is working.

I see many trying to burp their machines a dozen different ways.
I recomend doing it with the cap on as it needs pressure to maintain a higher boil point. Wait till it cools before opening the cap or it will vaporize with pressure release and just continue the problem.

You may think water pump. But its mechanical. Though you cant rule it out its unlikely it's not pumping.

Reactions: popeye
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Not too many 500's with this issue really.
Mostly the 1000's.
Could be a stuck thermostat or a air pocket. That's really the only causes if the fan is working.

I see many trying to burp their machines a dozen different ways.
I recomend doing it with the cap on as it needs pressure to maintain a higher boil point. Wait till it cools before opening the cap or it will vaporize with pressure release and just continue the problem.

You may think water pump. But its mechanical. Though you cant rule it out its unlikely it's not pumping.

I'm just confused because the radiator is hot. I thought if the thermostat was stuck or if there was an air bubble that the radiator would be cool, especially since the fan is working.

C

Chooglin

I'm just confused because the radiator is hot. I thought if the thermostat was stuck or if there was an air bubble that the radiator would be cool, especially since the fan is working.
In both cases (thermostat stuck closed or air in the system) will not allow the coolant to circulate!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
Either one could cause the radiator to be hott. Would try burping and checking the thermostat as mentioned. Then go from there.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Well, dealer said the radiator was clogged with mud and after cleaning it out, it is fine. I cleaned the crap out of the thing with a pressure washer before taking it in (and after most rides) to make it easy for them to work on it. I'm slightly skeptical, but I guess it is possible that the radiator could have appeared clean, yet still be mucked up between the fins. I have stayed back from the radiator when spraying so as not to bend the fins. Maybe need to re-evaluate my cleaning technique. How irritating to spend all that time cleaning it, just to pay the dealer a bunch of money because it wasn't clean enough. Lesson learned.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well. Shoot. Lol.
It's hard to get it all sometimes. Especially if it has dried up.
Hopefully it's good now.

And those 12v washers above are handy. We have even pumped water from a mud hole to clean one out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
They do sell fin brushes. I use one on my ac condenser. Might work for the radiator. I believe there are different size brushes.

TR1

TR1

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hot Springs, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I know this has been discussed before, but my symptoms are a little different. 2019 P500 is overheating. The radiator is clean and full. The radiator also gets hot and the fan also turns on. But it overheats riding around the same as the other one I have that never goes over two bars. I have it at the dealer for possible warranty repair, but am wondering if anyone else has had this same issue?
Having same problem with my P5 but my fan doesn't come on unless I kill the engine and restart it. I started it the other day to let it idle a while to charge battery (as it had been setting for a month or longer). I got busy doing something else and forgot about it. about an hour later I went out to turn it off and it was HOT HOT HOT, in fact the coolant was boiling. Fan wasn't running, turned it off and back on, fan came on and it cooled down in just a few minutes. I don't trust the local dealer. I'd like to wire in a switch to run it manually and may do that. Lot of folks has had heating problems with the P5s but I haven't read about a fix yet.

Reactions: SouthParkColorado
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Having same problem with my P5 but my fan doesn't come on unless I kill the engine and restart it. I started it the other day to let it idle a while to charge battery (as it had been setting for a month or longer). I got busy doing something else and forgot about it. about an hour later I went out to turn it off and it was HOT HOT HOT, in fact the coolant was boiling. Fan wasn't running, turned it off and back on, fan came on and it cooled down in just a few minutes. I don't trust the local dealer. I'd like to wire in a switch to run it manually and may do that. Lot of folks has had heating problems with the P5s but I haven't read about a fix yet.

If you are going to do that, don't put a switch on it 'cause you'll still forget to turn it on. Hook it up to run when the engine starts, so it's always on. Some well meaning folk will say this can over cool the engine, but the engine temp is controlled by the thermostat; having the fan running all the time will only make the radiator more efficient, and only when it's needed.

Reactions: TR1
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!