P-500 Rear Transmission output shaft seal?

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Hi everyone. I have a 2018 P-500. These pictures were taken after bringing it out on the trail for the 1st time. I noticed what I believe to be a bad oil seal on the rear output shaft coming out of the transmission. I cleaned the area and put around 30 miles on a second ride and the transmission housing is looking about the same with the debris being stuck on there by what appears to be oil. This is still under warranty and I am asking two things:
1. is this the beginning what a bad seal looks like or is this "normal" debris from the mud in north central MN where I ride?
2. If this is a bad seal would it cause damage if I took it on a ride I have planned coming up? The ride would be approximately 80 miles and coming up next week. I can't get it into my dealer for inspection due to their schedule being booked. The machine now has 600 miles on it. Thank you for any assistance.
20190703 205004
20190703 204958

Reactions: Russ989
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
as long as there is no visible drips or puddles or oil sling marks. its normal to have a little leak with dust on the case near the seal. my 14 700 has done that since new 5 yrs ago.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
as long as there is no visible drips or puddles or oil sling marks. its normal to have a little leak with dust on the case near the seal. my 14 700 has done that since new 5 yrs ago.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thank you very much.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi everyone. I have a 2018 P-500. These pictures were taken after bringing it out on the trail for the 1st time. I noticed what I believe to be a bad oil seal on the rear output shaft coming out of the transmission. I cleaned the area and put around 30 miles on a second ride and the transmission housing is looking about the same with the debris being stuck on there by what appears to be oil. This is still under warranty and I am asking two things:
1. is this the beginning what a bad seal looks like or is this "normal" debris from the mud in north central MN where I ride?
2. If this is a bad seal would it cause damage if I took it on a ride I have planned coming up? The ride would be approximately 80 miles and coming up next week. I can't get it into my dealer for inspection due to their schedule being booked. The machine now has 600 miles on it. Thank you for any assistance.View attachment 149775 View attachment 149776
Just ride it and keep an eye on it, take it in for warranty when you get back and it might not hurt to take a quart of oil with you on the trail.

Reactions: Morpheus
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Just an update and a thank you to all who gave insight to my thread. The machine performed wonderfully and after 234 miles in 2 days in Babbitt MN I didn't use any oil and the seal didn't have any dust/mud stuck to it. I am going to bring the machine it to have it gone over to make sure though. If anyone is looking for some awesome trails in MN I highly recommend the Babbitt/Ely area. I couldn't believe the sights and the trails were very nice. Thank you again!

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
even though this is an old post I thought i add this to my experience...2017 with 14,000 km 2 rear propeller seals later..#3 going in.
I couldn't figure out why a was consuming oil, ever ride a i had to add like cup full or more just to top it up.no blue smoke either
I thought maybe main seals or rings were done ,but then i notice what you see in pic....
this was done June of 2020 with only 5000km on it since installed.....
Do i have to take wheels off and and main bolt with cotter pin off in order to to move back the rear diff...any how too..

20210718 1555261

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
even though this is an old post I thought i add this to my experience...2017 with 14,000 km 2 rear propeller seals later..#3 going in.
I couldn't figure out why a was consuming oil, ever ride a i had to add like cup full or more just to top it up.no blue smoke either
I thought maybe main seals or rings were done ,but then i notice what you see in pic....
this was done June of 2020 with only 5000km on it since installed.....
Do i have to take wheels off and and main bolt with cotter pin off in order to to move back the rear diff...any how too..

View attachment 284198
I'm not sure how to make the repair. I haven't had to address the issue with my machine although it continues to whisp oil in that area I haven't noticed a drop in oil level. I'll wash it down really well and make sure I scrub that area clean and it never fails to look just like the picture you had posted. When you replaced prop seals #1&2 did the oil level stop dropping for you and did you notice the oil spray no longer happening? I've never dug into anything on my machine as of yet and I have 2200 miles on it. If you remember please let me know I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Reactions: Rustneversleeps
Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not sure how to make the repair. I haven't had to address the issue with my machine although it continues to whisp oil in that area I haven't noticed a drop in oil level. I'll wash it down really well and make sure I scrub that area clean and it never fails to look just like the picture you had posted. When you replaced prop seals #1&2 did the oil level stop dropping for you and did you notice the oil spray no longer happening? I've never dug into anything on my machine as of yet and I have 2200 miles on it. If you remember please let me know I'm interested to see how it turns out.
pretty sure fairly easy job...
Was at honda today to pick up my parts and ask mechanic best way to remove...
he said best take wheels off and both big bolts cotter pin gives a little play for axles to move back..
2 or 3 bolts on rear diff....not sure at this point if i remember to take brake off if so 2 bolts.
then pull back the diff maybe 2 or 3 inches back till you have access to rubber rear seal...hope that helps.
I'll try to post pics on my build thread...thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!