P1000 P1000 LE or Wolverine R Spec EPS SE

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
  • Hello:

Newbie here from Kentucky. Currently I've got a RZR 800 but I'm wanting to add another vehicle to the garage. As the title states it's between the 2017 P1000 LE and the 2017 Wolverine R Spec EPS SE (or possibly just the R Spec EPS). I'm reaching out to you all since I don't know anybody, personally, who owns either machine. In addition I can't find any definitive reviews or comparisons on YouTube of the two. Polaris is dominating the UTV sales here in KY, especially the RZR, so the dealers are willing to work with you on the price of other brands. After the discounts on both models the Wolverine is going to be almost $6,000 cheaper. That's a lot of money that could be put into the Wolverine, my RZR or saved (LOL). I know that Honda has an advantage in horsepower and a slight advantage in wheel travel and ground clearance. But after owning one do you feel it's worth the $6,000 price difference. I know some may be saying that why don't you look at the Pioneer 700 instead of the 1000 since it's cheaper. Frankly I like the additional features of the 1000, particularly the suspension, and if I decide on Honda it would be only for the 1000 LE. Living in Ky I ride typical east coast trails, much like the ones at Hatfield McCoy. How does the Pioneer perform in these types of environments compared to the Wolverine? Has the issue with heat in the cab and water intake been repaired by Honda that I've read about on earlier models. Also how comfortable is it to ride with three passengers in the bench seat. I have two boys ages 11 and 5 that would be seated next to me on a trip if I decided not to take my RZR. Selling the RZR to offset the cost of the Honda is not a option also. Throughout the years I've owned Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki, Honda, some off brands, and even a Italjet so I'm not loyal to one brand over the other. They all have things they are good and bad at. I know this is a Honda forum and there's a possibility to be biased but if you could give factual reasons for the P1000 I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

S

sargenthp

May 17, 2017
US
I looked at the Wolverine a few times... But I wanted something that could at least go 60MPH. Also I wanted a dump bed. I ride with my wife and my 9 year old on the bench and we are comfortable.

I have a '16. Not sure if they fixed the heat issue, but they did change the intake some. I did a mod on my intake. I also have a mat under the seat for the heat. But I live in WI and there are days when the heat is very inviting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  • Hello:

Newbie here from Kentucky. Currently I've got a RZR 800 but I'm wanting to add another vehicle to the garage. As the title states it's between the 2017 P1000 LE and the 2017 Wolverine R Spec EPS SE (or possibly just the R Spec EPS). I'm reaching out to you all since I don't know anybody, personally, who owns either machine. In addition I can't find any definitive reviews or comparisons on YouTube of the two. Polaris is dominating the UTV sales here in KY, especially the RZR, so the dealers are willing to work with you on the price of other brands. After the discounts on both models the Wolverine is going to be almost $6,000 cheaper. That's a lot of money that could be put into the Wolverine, my RZR or saved (LOL). I know that Honda has an advantage in horsepower and a slight advantage in wheel travel and ground clearance. But after owning one do you feel it's worth the $6,000 price difference. I know some may be saying that why don't you look at the Pioneer 700 instead of the 1000 since it's cheaper. Frankly I like the additional features of the 1000, particularly the suspension, and if I decide on Honda it would be only for the 1000 LE. Living in Ky I ride typical east coast trails, much like the ones at Hatfield McCoy. How does the Pioneer perform in these types of environments compared to the Wolverine? Has the issue with heat in the cab and water intake been repaired by Honda that I've read about on earlier models. Also how comfortable is it to ride with three passengers in the bench seat. I have two boys ages 11 and 5 that would be seated next to me on a trip if I decided not to take my RZR. Selling the RZR to offset the cost of the Honda is not a option also. Throughout the years I've owned Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki, Honda, some off brands, and even a Italjet so I'm not loyal to one brand over the other. They all have things they are good and bad at. I know this is a Honda forum and there's a possibility to be biased but if you could give factual reasons for the P1000 I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
I've driven the wolverine recently. It's a toss up. Wolverine is a great tight trail machine. Very comfy. It's got enough power. But not like the 1000. For me I'd want more power than the 700 has. If or when I buy a 2nd machine it will most likely be the Yamaha wolverine. But that will be the wife's. I'll keep the 1000 for me.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I really like the bench seat. I know it's not really designed for spirited driving but I like the fact that my two boys could jump in there with me if we were going for a quick ride. I've gotten used to my 800 so a high top speed isn't too much of a priority. I just want something that's trail worthy, has good torque, and can climb on occasion when needed. Also I try and avoid water and mud as much as possible so it doesn't need to be part submarine.

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the bench seat. I know it's not really designed for spirited driving but I like the fact that my two boys could jump in there with me if we were going for a quick ride. I've gotten used to my 800 so a high top speed isn't too much of a priority. I just want something that's trail worthy, has good torque, and can climb on occasion when needed. Also I try and avoid water and mud as much as possible so it doesn't need to be part submarine.
Add harnesses and that bench seat is fine for just about anywhere you want to go.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1000 then.

Reactions: sharp
JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've driven the wolverine recently. It's a toss up. Wolverine is a great tight trail machine. Very comfy. It's got enough power. But not like the 1000. For me I'd want more power than the 700 has. If or when I buy a 2nd machine it will most likely be the Yamaha wolverine. But that will be the wife's. I'll keep the 1000 for me.
After driving the Wolverine does it feel as if there is a noticeable size difference on the trails driving the 1000?

Is the size difference so noticeable with the Wolverine that it could definitely go places the Honda couldn't or did it just take some more effort with the 1000?

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I have the 16 deluxe. No way would I buy another pioneer 1000. Cost way to much for what it is. Honda has got to step up and make a better machine. Just being honest about the 1000 deluxe 5 seater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After driving the Wolverine does it feel as if there is a noticeable size difference on the trails driving the 1000?

Is the size difference so noticeable with the Wolverine that it could definitely go places the Honda couldn't or did it just take some more effort with the 1000?
They are basically the same width at the tires. And wheelbase. They fit the same places. And we hit some goat paths that were extremely tight and both are basically the same

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
  • Hello:

Hard to do a fair comparison because the Honda Pioneer is more like Yamaha's Viking line or Polaris' Ranger line. It's way more utility than sport. Rumor has it that Honda is coming out with something more hybrid like a Polaris General or Yamaha's Wolverine. 3 in the Honda bench is comfy once you do the seat heat mod. (Honda stretched an inner tube over the compartment under the seat to address the heat issue. Doesn't make a noticeable difference). Looks like Wolverine is a 2 seater. Honda did address the water ingestion problem. The Honda is a big, heavy machine. It's clutch design doesn't like to go slow or go uphill from a dead stop. You'll cook 'em in seconds and it's an incredibly expensive and involved fix that can't be done on the trail for sure. I think there are other multi-purpose machines available that would be much better on trails. Honda's own Pioneer 700 is one. It has a true torque converter like a car that you can engage as slow as you want for as long as you want. Polaris General is an absolute monster that's hard to beat for what I think you're looking for. Good luck and keep us posted please!

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the 16 deluxe. No way would I buy another pioneer 1000. Cost way to much for what it is. Honda has got to step up and make a better machine. Just being honest about the 1000 deluxe 5 seater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What problems have you experienced? Looking briefly at the forum i noticed people having issues with the clutches. Hopefully it's not like the yxz where they aren't geared low enough for the east coast riding.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Add harnesses and that bench seat is fine for just about anywhere you want to go.
I've seen some images of people adding harness' to the driver and passenger area of the bench seat but I haven't seen one yet where the middle seat has one.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hard to do a fair comparison because the Honda Pioneer is more like Yamaha's Viking line or Polaris' Ranger line. It's way more utility than sport. Rumor has it that Honda is coming out with something more hybrid like a Polaris General or Yamaha's Wolverine. 3 in the Honda bench is comfy once you do the seat heat mod. (Honda stretched an inner tube over the compartment under the seat to address the heat issue. Doesn't make a noticeable difference). Looks like Wolverine is a 2 seater. Honda did address the water ingestion problem. The Honda is a big, heavy machine. It's clutch design doesn't like to go slow or go uphill from a dead stop. You'll cook 'em in seconds and it's an incredibly expensive and involved fix that can't be done on the trail for sure. I think there are other multi-purpose machines available that would be much better on trails. Honda's own Pioneer 700 is one. It has a true torque converter like a car that you can engage as slow as you want for as long as you want. Polaris General is an absolute monster that's hard to beat for what I think you're looking for. Good luck and keep us posted please!
Thanks for the reply. I also had heard some rumors about Honda's next side by side. I've researched the competition with the upcoming Havoc X looking to be a really impressive unit but for some reason I just keep coming back to the P1000. I'm glad everyone is giving honest and personal reviews on here. Looks like I may need to take the blinders off some and take a second look at that competition.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've seen some images of people adding harness' to the driver and passenger area of the bench seat but I haven't seen one yet where the middle seat has one.

A37357a7a1d1893e9966fb5f24836a6c

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the reply. I also had heard some rumors about Honda's next side by side. I've researched the competition with the upcoming Havoc X looking to be a really impressive unit but for some reason I just keep coming back to the P1000. I'm glad everyone is giving honest and personal reviews on here. Looks like I may need to take the blinders off some and take a second look at that competition.
Smart man. In a nutshell...Honda has always been known to hit the nail on the head with, I dunno, likability and confidence inspiring products. I personally hate my Pioneer and I have zero confidence in it holding up for any length of time. Almost none of it's 4WD system worked from day one and it always sounds like something is about to break. I just leave it in turf mode. The whole machine lacks a feeling of quality, which is un-Honda like. It doesn't "feel" or sound like a Honda. I think if you read several posts that you'll notice a trend. Honda missed the nail head on the Pioneer 1000 by a long shot and made a big ole' mark on that beautiful reputation they have. If you get a chance, spend some time in one and you'll see what I mean.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I missed you mentioning climbing first time I read this. That's a given in the P1K's corner. Nothing with one piston is gonna climb like they do. I've yet to put a strain on mine and it's seen some very nasty hills. Not to mention dragging a dead 900 ranger up one trying to get him home.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Smart man. In a nutshell...Honda has always been known to hit the nail on the head with, I dunno, likability and confidence inspiring products. I personally hate my Pioneer and I have zero confidence in it holding up for any length of time. Almost none of it's 4WD system worked from day one and it always sounds like something is about to break. I just leave it in turf mode. The whole machine lacks a feeling of quality, which is un-Honda like. It doesn't "feel" or sound like a Honda. I think if you read several posts that you'll notice a trend. Honda missed the nail head on the Pioneer 1000 by a long shot and made a big ole' mark on that beautiful reputation they have. If you get a chance, spend some time in one and you'll see what I mean.
Like I mentioned in my post I don't really have a brand loyalty but I'm no stranger to the reputation Honda has built over the years for it's outstanding build quality. It would also be a lie to say that reliability wasn't one of the reasons I kept looking at the Honda. Bummer to hear that those high standards didn't transfer over with the manufacturing of the Pioneer. Hopefully they'll get their act together.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Like I mentioned in my post I don't really have a brand loyalty but I'm no stranger to the reputation Honda has built over the years for it's outstanding build quality. It would also be a lie to say that reliability wasn't one of the reasons I kept looking at the Honda. Bummer to hear that those high standards didn't transfer over with the manufacturing of the Pioneer. Hopefully they'll get their act together.

You should look at YouTube for some videos of the pioneer 1000 in action if you haven't already. There's no doubt that it is a very fun machine that can get my family and camping gear out in the woods for a weekend. It's also nice it when I'm home and can do chores like haul stuff in the bed or tow a trailer. Just know that the first two years of production are a little bit rough and maybe you should wait to make your decisions and see what 2018 holds. The rumors are that the 2018 pioneers will have a lot of improvements but none of that is for certain yet.

I am glad that I purchased the pioneer and addressed the issues early on so I could enjoy it over the past almost two years. However, I do think Honda should have or could have done better. There's nothing else out there with that short wheel base and if you know all the negatives going into it and still choose to purchase it, you'll probably be happy with it like myself and many others.

Most of our group that rides together has pretty much addressed all of the rattles, heat and intake issues.
B0f485a9c7fdbdbefc7cbebecb2ed5df

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!