BOX1

P1000 P1000 stalls when accelerating from a stop

J

JMoore

Nov 30, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a pioneer I bought new a year and a half ago, 2017 Model. Only has 1100 miles on it, all in my neighborhood. About a week or two ago i noticed it started stalling when i would give it any amount of throttle from a stop. If you feather it enough, you can get it to go, but it feels like its being held back. I saw the cat started glowing one time. I checked the wires for the injector, couldnt find anything wrong. I have no codes blinking on the dash, ( im assuming if there is a fault it will blink on its own? I havent seen any procedure to pull codes), i burned all the gas out and put some in from a diff tank, same thing. Added seafoam and even some injector cleaner from the dealership I work at, still no fix. Any thoughts? Dealer cant get it in for a week. Thanks guys, lookin forward to some help!!

Reactions: Lady01 and rtn001
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you extended your fuel tank vent? Does it ever sit out in the rain? You might have water in your tank even though you ran it out and added seafoam. Check air filter as well. Might also try new plugs. If it gets started and does short trips without warming up, some guys have fouled plugs.

J

JMoore

Nov 30, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you extended your fuel tank vent? Does it ever sit out in the rain? You might have water in your tank even though you ran it out and added seafoam. Check air filter as well. Might also try new plugs. If it gets started and does short trips without warming up, some guys have fouled plugs.
It sits in my garage all the time, out of the elements. Air filter still looks new, and I couldnt find any loose connections on the ducts. Even cold, it starts and stalls. I will see if i can get a quick vid.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It sits in my garage all the time, out of the elements. Air filter still looks new, and I couldnt find any loose connections on the ducts. Even cold, it starts and stalls. I will see if i can get a quick vid.
The plugs themselves would be my last guess. The injector wires seem to be less common on the 2017 from what I've seen, and throws a code. Others will post on here as well to offer ideas.

J

JMoore

Nov 30, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The plugs themselves would be my last guess. The injector wires seem to be less common on the 2017 from what I've seen, and throws a code. Others will post on here as well to offer ideas.
I will pull them out in a little bit and check. I appreciate the advice!

Reactions: Lady01
J

JMoore

Nov 30, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plugs looked just a tad bit wet, but it has not been warmed up yet so I dont think its related to that.

J

JTW

Is your vent line clear? No dirt dobber nest in it? You’re sure the plugs are good?

I’d also pull the fuel pump and see if it’s gummed up. Can you hear it kicking in when you turn the key on?

Air, spark and fuel.... I guess a person could add electronic doodads to that now a days. But, it sounds like air or fuel to me... is the air intake sucking good under the hood?

Reactions: Lady01 and Mudwing
J

JMoore

Nov 30, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is your vent line clear? No dirt dobber nest in it? You’re sure the plugs are good?

I’d also pull the fuel pump and see if it’s gummed up. Can you hear it kicking in when you turn the key on?

Air, spark and fuel.... I guess a person could add electronic doodads to that now a days. But, it sounds like air or fuel to me... is the air intake sucking good under the hood?

Vent line is clear, blew through it to make sure. I pulled the fuel pump out and took it apart first, thinking i got trash from a gas can. Cleaned it all out (there was virtually nothing there) and reassembled, same issue. Took a fuel sample today, it seemed to have decent flow and volume. Runs for about 2-3 secs to prime then shuts off. I didnt see anything wrong with the fuel, no separation or any water. I pulled intake and looked at butterflys for the tbody, they were clean and moving freely. Watched them while it was running and it looked like a good spray pattern from the injectors.

spark plugs looked brand new. Im not against replacing them, just cant see anything wrong. I will pull them back out and see how hot the spark is tonight.

J

JTW

Vent line is clear, blew through it to make sure. I pulled the fuel pump out and took it apart first, thinking i got trash from a gas can. Cleaned it all out (there was virtually nothing there) and reassembled, same issue. Took a fuel sample today, it seemed to have decent flow and volume. Runs for about 2-3 secs to prime then shuts off. I didnt see anything wrong with the fuel, no separation or any water. I pulled intake and looked at butterflys for the tbody, they were clean and moving freely. Watched them while it was running and it looked like a good spray pattern from the injectors.

spark plugs looked brand new. Im not against replacing them, just cant see anything wrong. I will pull them back out and see how hot the spark is tonight.
Damn... I’d change the plugs just to be sure.

And it’s doing this every time... not just here and there?

C

Couesaddict

Nov 2, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like low fuel pressure to me. Went through this three times in a year with my old ranger before I bought the Honda. I believe they run a similar fuel pump. Fuel pressure gauges are generally not terribly expensive from an auto parts store and it's a good investment for a troubleshooting tool. I don't know for sure what pressure the Honda is supposed to run but the Polaris would run like crap if it was 2-3psi low and you'd have to feather the throttle into it or it would totally fall on its face.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
J

JMoore

Nov 30, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn... I’d change the plugs just to be sure.

And it’s doing this every time... not just here and there?

When it first started it was sporadically, I figured it was something the wife was doing. When I was driving it it only happened once/twice, so I figured must be bad gas. Now it's doing it consistently. Yesterday I was so frustrated with it but I needed it to do work in my yard. I had it in Low gear, and if I gave it a decent amount of throttle it would go, but it wasn't happy about it. I'm kinda leaning towards fuel myself. I'm hoping my fuel pressure tester will work. Does anyone know what the pressure should be ?

@70Bones As far as exhaust, I pulled spark arrestor and it was clean as a whistle. It fires up every time, whether I give it a sec for the pump to prime or not.

Thanks again for all the advice, it's refreshing to have ppl willing to help out a new member. I took a vid, but can't post it here. I'm willing to text it to anyone if it's puzzling you as much as me, just PM me.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
...Thanks again for all the advice, it's refreshing to have ppl willing to help out a new member. I took a vid, but can't post it here. I'm willing to text it to anyone if it's puzzling you as much as me, just PM me.
Load it to YouTube and then embed the link using this button. I struggled with it myself at first just because I had never uploaded anything to YouTube:

Upload 2019 12 2 10 49 25

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you were too fast restarting. The engine light was lit up for a 1/2 second. but it may have been you going key off/on.

J

JMoore

Nov 30, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was me trying to get the video small enough to still upload. I have yet to see the ses light blink, which is the most frustrating part about it. Give me a little direction dammit, lol. Low fuel pressure is the only thing that kinda makes sense.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will the engine rev without issue while in park or neutral?
You could have a bad porcelain on the plug, alos thru a bottle of gas line antifreeze in the tank. It will help burn off some of the water that might be in it.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Neohio is right on with a bad spark plug or spark plug cap. When you load it with hard throttle the firing voltage goes way up and it can short out to the side down in the spark plug cavity. I think someone else had a bad plug with cracked porcelain. The Pioneer 1000 and Telon have the high end iridium plugs that go 100,000 miles in cars.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!