P1000 P1000 Steering recall

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from the dealer with the hanger queen getting a bunch of recalls cleared. When we were loading up a couple of techs were looking at the front steering. "So thats what the update looks like" got my attention. Turns out this recall hasn't hit the streets yet according to the dealer, but they are preemptively checking all P1000s for a stressed bolt on the steering knuckle. If it doesnt pass the inspection the whole knuckle is replaced. So far around 2 out of three P100s they have looked at have been replaced. Mine was. #1 son was with me and was told to expect a postcard next week. He is not a happy camper as the dealer is 120 miles round trip and we could have trailed his down today had he known. Glad Honda is xealing with this!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This was posted August 31st

GHT

GHT

Sep 6, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got back from the dealer with the hanger queen getting a bunch of recalls cleared. When we were loading up a couple of techs were looking at the front steering. "So thats what the update looks like" got my attention. Turns out this recall hasn't hit the streets yet according to the dealer, but they are preemptively checking all P1000s for a stressed bolt on the steering knuckle. If it doesnt pass the inspection the whole knuckle is replaced. So far around 2 out of three P100s they have looked at have been replaced. Mine was. #1 son was with me and was told to expect a postcard next week. He is not a happy camper as the dealer is 120 miles round trip and we could have trailed his down today had he known. Glad Honda is xealing with this!
Is this on NEW models only, or is it across the board? Answered my question with the above post. Thanks TripleB.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thinking a few end of season planned rides over some steep passes this weekend are gonna be cancelled. Told my son he can use mine since it has the fix, but he is not wanting to talk anything honda tonight. I'm stoked the dealer got mine done and Honda is dealing with it. A lot of my sons rides are over some hi Colorado passes on narrow mining roads and drop offs that make me sick just thinking about them.

M

MTLuckyDan

Jun 18, 2018
US
My 2016 1000-3 was in for clutch update & they did the steering as well. Definitely shifts smoother with less noise. I had scheduled the clutch since the time was almost out on the free inspection/upgrade and just happened to catch the beginning of the steering inspection.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 1000-3 was in for clutch update & they did the steering as well. Definitely shifts smoother with less noise. I had scheduled the clutch since the time was almost out on the free inspection/upgrade and just happened to catch the beginning of the steering inspection.
LOL.....I thought I was the only one that put the clutch update off the the very last minute. P1000 does shift a lot nicer for what it's worth. Figured the dealer tech would come out ahead flat rate wise doing every recall/update since '16. He said he did.

Monkypops

Monkypops

Sep 10, 2020
Louisville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm pretty new to the forum. My wife and I just purchased a 2021 1000-5 Deluxe and we are loving it. I'm curious about this recall. I assume because we just bought a brand new unit that we are out of the recall dates. I've tried looking for the recall info online but haven't found much. I also punched my VIN in the Honda database and didn't come back with any recall notifications. I'm just trying to play it safe and keep on the up and up.

Thanks!

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure of your purchase date, but this has been on Honda's radar since late August at least from what I hear. Pretty sure they issued a stop sale order that requires the dealer to inspect and fix if needed before it goes out the door. When I had my P1000 in for service they just fixed it, and entered the fix into the system. I have a good friend who was a Honda R&D wrench for years their Torrance headquarters. Actually thats one of the reasons our family is pretty much a Honda family. I've been on a few of his test rides😊. His job was thrash 'til broken, that do an analysis of how and why it broke and a suggested fix. My little bro was with him one time in a NSX doing 140ish on I 5 running spare race parts up to Sears point....Honda covered the damage when he got pulled over (written for 90). Than there was that time we entered an impromptu hill climbing contest with a Chevy 4X4 club. The 4wd Civic blew to the top first try. A bunch of blown away guys at the base with pretty rad trucks. I'm guessing he sold a lot of product that day..... scared me $hitless doing it.
Honda is pretty anal about QC audits and err on the side of caution. This could have been a simple bad assembly line torque wrench that didn't hold values. I'd call your dealer. They should know if your good to go, or not.

H

HondaTech

Not sure of your purchase date, but this has been on Honda's radar since late August at least from what I hear. Pretty sure they issued a stop sale order that requires the dealer to inspect and fix if needed before it goes out the door. When I had my P1000 in for service they just fixed it, and entered the fix into the system. I have a good friend who was a Honda R&D wrench for years their Torrance headquarters. Actually thats one of the reasons our family is pretty much a Honda family. I've been on a few of his test rides😊. His job was thrash 'til broken, that do an analysis of how and why it broke and a suggested fix. My little bro was with him one time in a NSX doing 140ish on I 5 running spare race parts up to Sears point....Honda covered the damage when he got pulled over (written for 90). Than there was that time we entered an impromptu hill climbing contest with a Chevy 4X4 club. The 4wd Civic blew to the top first try. A bunch of blown away guys at the base with pretty rad trucks. I'm guessing he sold a lot of product that day..... scared me $hitless doing it.
Honda is pretty anal about QC audits and err on the side of caution. This could have been a simple bad assembly line torque wrench that didn't hold values. I'd call your dealer. They should know if your good to go, or not.

The issue was the lower joint slot wasnt aligned with the hole that the bolt goes through. The two ive inspected have both had to have the joint replaced as well.

They've both been 700s, the first had a small bit of damage at the top of the threads, the 2nd one had its threads completely stripped.

If your installing a new joint, they have a special tool to help align the lower bolt and you must send a photo of it installed on the joint with the warranty claim.

H

HondaTech

So I'm pretty new to the forum. My wife and I just purchased a 2021 1000-5 Deluxe and we are loving it. I'm curious about this recall. I assume because we just bought a brand new unit that we are out of the recall dates. I've tried looking for the recall info online but haven't found much. I also punched my VIN in the Honda database and didn't come back with any recall notifications. I'm just trying to play it safe and keep on the up and up.

Thanks!

This does not apply to any 2021 models.

R

rickoshea

got home from my morning hunt/ride and found a recall notice in the mailbox.steering and fuel pump.now i'm waiting for the dealer to call me back to book it in.i'm going to continue to ride till then...

D_M_A71

D_M_A71

Mar 3, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just received the card today from Honda about this. Anyone have a picture of what it looks like. We have a ride next week and there's no way the shop will get it done before that. I'd like to do a quick inspection myself before we go out. Thanks.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just received the card today from Honda about this. Anyone have a picture of what it looks like. We have a ride next week and there's no way the shop will get it done before that. I'd like to do a quick inspection myself before we go out. Thanks.
Me too!

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
H

HondaTech

All we're doing is removing the lowest steering joing bolt to check for damage to the threads or the shank of the bolt.

If there is any damage we're replacing the lower joint and all three bolts/washers.

There is a special tool we use to align the lower bolt hole and the slot in the shaft to ensure its not damaging them again. Then we have to take a photo of the tool in place to send in so they know the bolt got installed correctly.

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like this is gaining momentum; I received my Recall notice today. Not much joy in this due to butting right up against hunting season. !! AT ok East I have three dealers wishing 100 mi. radius!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
20201113 125852

Mine is getting checked out next Friday

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
Formula1

Formula1

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my notice today, anyone have a picture of what exactly gets inspected? It's a 2 hour trip each way to my dealer, sure would like to know if it's necessary to waste a half a Saturday.

Reactions: Biteme
H

HondaTech

Got my notice today, anyone have a picture of what exactly gets inspected? It's a 2 hour trip each way to my dealer, sure would like to know if it's necessary to waste a half a Saturday.

We're pulling the lower steering joint bolt to inspect for damage to the threads or shank.

Any damage to the bolt means the lower joint and all 3 shaft bolts/washers get replaced.

Inspection takes 30 seconds and replacing the joint may take 5 minutes if the shaft wants to be a pain coming apart.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!