P1000 P1K clutch recall fix...

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those of you like myself had issues with their clutch packs/gears, once the updated recall "improved" fixed/replaced....were there any issues afterwards? I'm asking b/c I'm finally taking mine in for the recall repair. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Isaiah
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sounds like your concerned having them take it apart.
Ya, ask if the dealer tech has done one. The only problems were incorrect installs really. Ex, cut o-rings.

For the majority of people. It is a different machine and works great.
As for continued clutch issues afterward. Most have not had any issues and the ones that did...
Well... I'm not sure we have the whole story on why they burnt up a clutch afterwards.
Ex. 32" tires in a clay mudhole.

I highly recommend getting it done. It will shift differently and to me, feel alot better.
Not to mention the upgrade benefits of additional clutch cooling and what not.

ok. Thanks.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like your concerned having them take it apart.
Ya, ask if the dealer tech has done one. The only problems were incorrect installs really. Ex, cut o-rings.

For the majority of people. It is a different machine and works great.
As for continued clutch issues afterward. Most have not had any issues and the ones that did...
Well... I'm not sure we have the whole story on why they burnt up a clutch afterwards.
Ex. 32" tires in a clay mudhole.

I highly recommend getting it done. It will shift differently and to me, feel alot better.
Not to mention the upgrade benefits of additional clutch cooling and what not.

ok. Thanks.

I believe the free warranty period is over. Honda will do it, but at full price. Better call first.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
thanks for the reply guys but I'm scheduled to have it done. I was just asking to see who already have this done and how everything is holding up? I've gone through two repairs already but both were done prior to the actual recall were officially send out. When my dealer made these previous repairs they replaced the clutch packs with oem's but until now (the recall), the replacement suppose to be an updated clutch pack and an updated cover as well?? Not sure whats all been updated but all I know it suppose to be updated and beefed up. Going through this issue twice already and this is my 3rd time, I was just curious how much better this updated fix really is....

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Close...it expires in September 2020. I have to get both my machines done as well.
You going to get it done before the Takeover or wait until you get back?

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The only ones I've seen with clutch issues afterwards have been ones with clutches that should've been replaced while the update was being installed.

A 3 seater can be done in about 40 minutes, a 5 seater in a little over an hour.

ok cool then I should be ok after this "recall fix" since they told me that the clutch replacement will be a updated version whereas before the first 2 repairs were whatever the oem ones they used. Thanks

H

HondaTech

ok cool then I should be ok after this "recall fix" since they told me that the clutch replacement will be a updated version whereas before the first 2 repairs were whatever the oem ones they used. Thanks

The "update" is a new cover with some extra oil for cooling the clutch, the clutch isnt actually suppose to covered by the update unless it's deemed bad when they remove the cover. I dont believe Honda ever changed the clutch assembly part yet.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
D

Dasmoeturhead

Had my 2016 1000-3 done a couple of months ago, and it's been great so far. According to the RO the shop gave me, the clutches were not changed. Just the cover, and some oil.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just wanted to report back since I brought it into the dealer. So after the repair/recall work was completed, I took it out and found for the most part it did just fine except for 2 small occasions were the machine just cut off for no reason. It was just turned off as if I turned the key to off and the only way I could restart it was to turn the key completely to the "off" position and then start it again. Like I said, this happened twice since I got it back from the dealer. Well, I took it back out the next day and it happened again but only this time it happened a lot more often. I would say for the 3+ hrs. I had it out, it turned off by itself about a dozen of times. I immediately contact the dealer yet once again, I'm starting to feel like I got a lemon here...so frustrated! So currently, it's back at the dealer again. Meanwhile, I've been doing some research on my issues and found that what may be causing this is the fuel injector plug connectors. Apparently, the wire on these (especially earlier models like mine 2016) connectors have a history of breaking and/or separating causing a faulty connection at the injector. So I'm curious if anyone of you guys have had this issue and also if not, would a weak or bad battery cause this same symptom. Thank you for any feed backs, I'll probably repost this on a new thread.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You nailed it. There is a neat little repair plug here at the store. Get those (2) at least you should be good to go.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I had my update done it took 3 tries. The first two were the first one that they had done and both times they cut O-rings putting the head back on. Once they figured that out it's been great for the last two years.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!