P1000 P1K side panels

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all. New to the group here. Just got the green light on a new P1K from DW. I’m looking at a base model right now. I understand I can order the colored side panels and install them. What is involving installing them? I assume lining up the panel, drilling holes and installing push pins.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello all. New to the group here. Just got the green light on a new P1K from DW. I’m looking at a base model right now. I understand I can order the colored side panels and install them. What is involving installing them? I assume lining up the panel, drilling holes and installing push pins.
WELCOME and yep!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dont buy the green cause u cant get panels now. I went to buy them in the summer and they discontinued the green panels. I'm assuming because they never made a deluxe model in green. Any how, I bought some used red panels and painted them black this weekend. Paint wont stick and they look like s***. I'm gonna try and redo them. The only reason I want them is so i can do the rear door storage mod.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the club!
Yes panels are pretty simple to put on, I bought base and slaped panels on too. Go with the red!, its the fastest ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Dont buy the green cause u cant get panels now. I went to buy them in the summer and they discontinued the green panels. I'm assuming because they never made a deluxe model in green. Any how, I bought some used red panels and painted them black this weekend. Paint wont stick and they look like s***. I'm gonna try and redo them. The only reason I want them is so i can do the rear door storage mod.
Try scuffing them up and then use "bulldog" primer. I paint black plastic on cars and trucks all the time, good stuff.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Try scuffing them up and then use "bulldog" primer. I paint black plastic on cars and trucks all the time, good stuff.
Yes I light scuffed. Used some kind of adhesive promoter and paint that said it would stick to plastic. I'm gonna sand it more this time. Im not really worried about looks but I dont wont red showing through every time I rub a limb.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I’m looking at a red one. I’m tempted to go with a base model and upgrade to the panels and wheels/tires. It makes sense for my situation. I’ll use the rubber as take-offs for one of my ATV’s that will soon need tires. I do mostly fast railbeds and fire roads so it’s looking like 28” Terrabites on 14” wheels. I live and ride in Maine. We have a lot of tight trails and we have a lot of faster stuff also. My wife was all about getting a General 4, but one look at the Pioneer and she was sold.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks. I’m looking at a red one. I’m tempted to go with a base model and upgrade to the panels and wheels/tires. It makes sense for my situation. I’ll use the rubber as take-offs for one of my ATV’s that will soon need tires. I do mostly fast railbeds and fire roads so it’s looking like 28” Terrabites on 14” wheels. I live and ride in Maine. We have a lot of tight trails and we have a lot of faster stuff also. My wife was all about getting a General 4, but one look at the Pioneer and she was sold.
If its a big price difference its the way to go. I saved about $2,200 going with a bsae over a DLX, I put panels and some lights, waiting to wear out stock rubber to upgrade. $ well saved.
20191115 221357
20191115 225343

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes I light scuffed. Used some kind of adhesive promoter and paint that said it would stick to plastic. I'm gonna sand it more this time. Im not really worried about looks but I dont wont red showing through every time I rub a limb.
Also try baking the plastic for :30min at 180 (oven works fine if it fits) then immediately wipe with a wax and grease remover or alcohol. This expels some of the mold release in the plastic. There’s a lot in the Honda plastics. Heat helps a lot.
Larger parts wipe multiple times same materials. Either way, then scuff really good with grey scotch. Wipe down again then window clean. Like @JenElio suggested then use adhesion promoter like bulldog but just two med/light coats. Now ready for paint. Plastic sucks! But it can be done to hold up.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If its a big price difference its the way to go. I saved about $2,200 going with a bsae over a DLX, I put panels and some lights, waiting to wear out stock rubber to upgrade. $ well saved.View attachment 176746 View attachment 176747
Those stock 12 inch tires are tougher than the 14 inch ones off the deluxe also. I've wore 2 sets out on mine and only had 3 flats in the 3200 miles(combined) I got out of both sets.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also try baking the plastic for :30min at 180 (oven works fine if it fits) then immediately wipe with a wax and grease remover or alcohol. This expels some of the mold release in the plastic. There’s a lot in the Honda plastics. Heat helps a lot.
Larger parts wipe multiple times same materials. Either way, then scuff really good with grey scotch. Wipe down again then window clean. Like @JenElio suggested then use adhesion promoter like bulldog but just two med/light coats. Now ready for paint. Plastic sucks! But it can be done to hold up.
I should have ask on here before I tried. Thanks.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Those stock 12 inch tires are tougher than the 14 inch ones off the deluxe also. I've wore 2 sets out on mine and only had 3 flats in the 3200 miles(combined) I got out of both sets.
6 ply stock and 4 ply on the delux! Crazy. I thought I would need tires by the TO but it doesnt seem like I will. Maybe I can save that $ and just put it towards beer :)

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never even bothered to look at the brand of tire that was on there. They looked pretty decent.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi and welcome from the motor city. I guess I was lucky back in early 16’ and got green panels. They weren’t cheep neither at the time. Whatever u buy, there easy to put on.
59AAEA7C 62A1 4B29 88D4 C77704D976C5

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
They come with the necessary hardware
Mine were a rubber type rivet that when screwed into it expands. I think there is a crew in plate type as well. But like I said, hardware should be included

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What type of rivet did you used/
The panels come with a rubber grommet with a steel threaded inserts inside.
If you want to do the storage mod in the future, I would suggest using a different style rivet to attach to the doors.
I would suggest these from McMaster-Carr.
Capture69

Reactions: JenElio
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing says you even have to go with the red. A year ago I changed my yellow deluxe to the metallic silver for less then $300. Then sold the yellow panels for $200.

Reactions: JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!