BOX1

P500 P5 power steering source in Canada?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Fellas,
Chewing on the idea of PS for the Dozer... for those that have done this in Canuck land where did you source and what brand. Be great to hear good and not so good experiences. Planning to use Dozer a bunch this summer on various projects and fun rides of course... thinking it’d be even funner with PS.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks Cheers,
j

Reactions: Biteme
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Woohooo... kinda excited 😝
Any tips, comments on install fire away!
Thanks for the suggestions and insights so far fellas.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Been awhile but from what I remember, the EZ Steer instructions were a bit confusing as the pic showed the motor in the wrong place. Figured that out on my own but could've saved about a half hour on the install. You'll have the brake reservoir clearance issue that we all had, tweak the shafts around and you'll get it. When you think you have it all set, turn full lock in both directions and watch the bracket on the front frame, it's probably going to flex up and down, loosen the top shaft, find the happy place that it flexes the least, then cinch it down.
Have no doubt you'll figure it out and then you're going to love it. :cool:

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
@ Trigger, thank you sir, what directions? Hahaha, I’m a guy come on... no need for them till things get screwed up and broken then it’s Duh... crap! Did the once over on the directions and ya not so clear, however I’ll take your advise thank again.
Pretty excited to get at right now... yiippeeeee

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Whhhelll.... seems I might have to redo the under hood military ammo can battery holder.... grrr. Perhaps I’ll finally have an under seat battery location once it’s sorted.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Instructions a few years back had an error with a photo showing the wrong side of the motor for mounting.
..Lesson learned as I had to remove and reinstall the motor, ...leave these three 13 mm head bolts untouched. I first removed them for the mounting plate install on the opposite side, but later found other bolts in the box (10 mm heads). The 13 mm bolts seal the internals, as you can see a shaft inside. This is the side to face downward.

IMG_0054.JPG

Last edited:
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
J, I was surprised you didn't have PS already. I knew you were wrestlin those 11's up front. I may be next, may go 12x12's. Getting usta the 59" width the 'borrowed from my Big Bear' combo provides. Silly stable!

Reactions: Biteme
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Instructions a few years back had an error with a photo showing the wrong side of the motor for mounting.
..Lesson learned as I had to remove and reinstall the motor, ...leave these three 13 mm head bolts untouched. I first removed them for the mounting plate install on the opposite side, but later found other bolts in the box (10 mm heads). The 13 mm bolts seal the internals, as you can see a shaft inside. This is the side to face downward.

IMG_0054.JPG
Hey Mudder, I looked at that too, kinda odd that the aluminum housing flange doesn’t fit snug into the mounting plate you’d think it would be stronger then. At any rate on mine the bolt holes only line up on the other side (non aluminum flanged side). Seems on mine the mounting plate provides room to mount the entire assembly more towards the passenger side so it seems to have just enough room so as not run on brake reservoir or lines..

Had to mess a bunch with my 50 cal steel ammo can battery box, had to raise it up an inch so it would clear the EPS motor. Still not fully completed, family diversions with Momma’s day and other stuff. Thinking it’ll work out good though.
Cheers,
j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
J, I was surprised you didn't have PS already. I knew you were wrestlin those 11's up front. I may be next, may go 12x12's. Getting usta the 59" width the 'borrowed from my Big Bear' combo provides. Silly stable!
Splorin, have wanted EPS for some time and finally bit the bullet, with the Kenda Bear Claw HTRs they don’t seem really that bad to turn. It’s really when I’m doing point to point turn a round on really narrow trails (and snow ploughing) it can be a bit of a bear. I’m guessing once I get it dialled I’ll be the biggest fan boy for ESP on here hahahaaa

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Hoop, finally got it sorted, little drama for a few minutes, heh heh, hooked the trigger key activation wire to harness on ignition. The diode would light up properly for a second, so backed outta the garage and felt pretty, well disappointed. Was not much different then pre-EPS. Hmmm, power wiring hooked to auxiliary battery check, trigger wire hooked to ignition little LED lights per manual check. After chewing and chasing a bit the ignition harness I tapped into was only to activate starter.... hahahaha. Ended up using the auxiliary, Honda red capped plug, 12 volt key activated lead. Voila noticeably better! I will say the unit flexes more then I thought, happy the mounting bolts have nylock nuts. Plan is to go for a buzz tomorrow.
Thanks for assistance fellas,
Cheers,
j

H

Hoop

I wired my PS into winch power and the 12v trigger into the accessory power outlet in the dash. Yes, the PS unit moves a fair amount . Just be sure the universal joint on bottom shaft does not rub on brake fluid reservoir.
I was out yesterday on a really narrow bushed in rough trail and PS makes it so easy to make those tight turns.
Raised my 20 P5 , now have close to 11 inches clearance with 26 tires . Had to install 1 inch spacers on rear and limit straps on front. With PS, Torq Locker and more ground clearance my little skidder will go over the rough terrian and narrow bushed in trails that lead to out of the way fishing spots
Dave

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Out checking the neighbourhood.. got turned back by the snowpack. Just the same not much snow here for this time of year. The ESP was/is wicked and pleased to be a fan boy now. Hahaha. Had to do a point to point on steep trail too, man sure is nice!
Kay next up V 2.0 on glass front windshield.
07B04490 4133 4E65 ADD0 A14535E92B03

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Finally out for a good ride(s) over the weekend on familiar terrain and man it’s nice... knew that it would be, just grateful to be able to install and ride. Kinda surprised it’s not an option on a new machine through Honda, be a great way to up sell (and worth it too) if price was in the ball park. Like option “B” comes with powers steering and performance shocks.... for more dough of course.

Reactions: Splorin and trigger
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Finally out for a good ride(s) over the weekend on familiar terrain and man it’s nice... knew that it would be, just grateful to be able to install and ride. Kinda surprised it’s not an option on a new machine through Honda, be a great way to up sell (and worth it too) if price was in the ball park. Like option “B” comes with powers steering and performance shocks.... for more dough of course.
I'm ordering my power steering this week - do you happen to have any pics on where you ran the wires/mounted the plate/spacing around the reservoir? This is the first thing I'm adding electrical-wise and will be ordering a winch/fuse box/etc next week. Just wondering if I should wait until I have the winch and fuse box and wires ran before installing this?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm ordering my power steering this week - do you happen to have any pics on where you ran the wires/mounted the plate/spacing around the reservoir? This is the first thing I'm adding electrical-wise and will be ordering a winch/fuse box/etc next week. Just wondering if I should wait until I have the winch and fuse box and wires ran before installing this?
Hey rustyneversleeps,
Short answer yes....

You will be pleased with E steering took me almost 7 years to install! Worth the dough and effort if you can swing it. In respect to images, mine has an auxiliary battery in a steel 50 cal ammo box under the hood, using a Blue Sea Mini add a battery kit. Blue Sea gear has worked flawlessly for years. It auto monitors charge in each battery and directs charge to battery in need. It isolates each battery so one is dedicated to starting and running stock stuff. Auxiliary battery runs, Winch, auxiliary lights, E steering etc. You can manually turn off entire system, combine batteries, and of course isolate via a master switch. You are gonna wanna wire more stuff onto your rig, I’d suggested checking into Blue Sea Mini.

What I’d recommend is look to install an auxiliary but put battery under the drivers seat, lotsa room there and you can place a skookum AGM one their.

Do it in phases as you need. On mine I ran think it was #4 welding cable from both positive and negative line from stock battery to front under hood. Ran it along the frame rail protected by skid plate and up the firewall in front of passenger side under the hood. Once there used a automotive style waterproof resettable breaker. From there you can hook up your Winch, E steering etc until you need/want auxiliary battery. Hope that makes sense. Also worth it to buy the Honda auxiliary power harness that plugs into dedicated factory plug that’s ignition key activated.
Cheers,
j

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!