P500 P500 4WD,OK OR NOT TO ENGAGE FULLTIME

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2017 Honda Pioneer 500 I love it so far have over 400 miles on it with 26in tires windshield and roof and that's about all I'm going to do to it my question is there's a lot of sugar sand in the trails I ride here in Florida is it okay for me to be engaged in 4-wheel drive for long periods of time through the sugar Sand staying under 30 miles an hour been warned by a few mechanics to be careful in doing this it's hard on the front and rear differentials opinions?

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
It will not hurt it. Even on hard ground it will not hurt the driveline it just makes it harder to steer.

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
It will not hurt it. Even on hard ground it will not hurt the driveline it just makes it harder to steer.
I had a 2008 rancher that used to blow seals in the front diff until I snorkled the diff's out for venting, should I look into doing this for p500? I just dont want to blow seals riding through deep sugar sand, I mean the trails here are look like 10 miles of deep sugar sand.....

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I do not believe you will harm it in 4WD as you are describing and would engage it as you need it...

Reactions: Gassygordo
ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Between the snow and mud at the ranch, I had mine in 4WD the entire month of January. Everything worked just fine.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
only problems come when you have traction, like you had it in mud and leaving it on on the hard stuff, wont like that, but sand all the time will be fine

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a 2017 Honda Pioneer 500 I love it so far have over 400 miles on it with 26in tires windshield and roof and that's about all I'm going to do to it my question is there's a lot of sugar sand in the trails I ride here in Florida is it okay for me to be engaged in 4-wheel drive for long periods of time through the sugar Sand staying under 30 miles an hour been warned by a few mechanics to be careful in doing this it's hard on the front and rear differentials opinions?
Well, I’m thinking that it depends on whether or not you’ve installed a locker on yours and you’re running that engage when encountering hard surfaces, particularly on turning because both wheels are pulling and you know that the inside wheel needs to slip (spin some) to keep pace with the outside wheel which has a farther distance to travel. But without the locker I think you have zero concern.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The locker accommodates for that. The only problem I see is spinning and then hooking up.
If the AM locker developed for the P5 does, that’s great, didn’t know about that, the OEM doesn’t and it barks and chirps, same thing with my truck, neither of which I would ever attempt to drive on hard surfaces. Occasionally I’ve come out of the woods in both onto the hard surface forgetting to take it out and narrowly escaped wrecking on a curve once.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I had a 2008 rancher that used to blow seals in the front diff until I snorkled the diff's out for venting, should I look into doing this for p500? I just dont want to blow seals riding through deep sugar sand, I mean the trails here are look like 10 miles of deep sugar sand.....
I have never modified the vent tubes on my P5 or my other Honda atvs and never had any problems with seals. If you are running it in deep water a lot I would think about extending the vents but not for normal use.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like others, sand use should be fine, just like my mud conditions which reduce friction. 4wd off on hard surfaces like pavement for piece of mind. I think the Torq Master is great as it allows for slip/rachet for different front tire rotations. Smart people.

Reactions: Gassygordo
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
In my experience running in 4wd on hard surfaces is harder on the tires than the drivetrain. It’s always a good idea to take it out of 4wd when not needed but it’s not going to blow up an axle or driveline if you leave it engaged.

Reactions: Mudder
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You can actually just do a quick google search and you’ll see that the only time you’re likely to cause harm to your vehicle (and yourself if you have a wreck as s result) is driving on a dry hard surface that doesn’t allow for compensation of the torque. Like this from off road recovery guide.

You should never drive your vehicle on dry pavement while in four-wheel drive. The stresses placed on the drivetrain components are bad enough.

The worst aspect is that you could lose control of the vehicle!

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No concern if drive over slippery terrain, I drive 4W all the time on logging trails with deep snow.

Reactions: Montecresto
Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
The diff's may run a little cooler changing to synthetic gear oil.
What would you guys recommend being I live in Florida run the hell out of my P5 in sugar Sands I would like to quiet them down and keep them cool
FB IMG 1540998659747

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Mobil 1 75W/140 seems to be popular here. I'm going to put it in mine when it warms up. (Not because it's too cold to run, but the barn isn't heated and lying on the floor stinks)

Although my differentials aren't as noisy as when I got the machine. Quieted down around 1600 miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!