P500 p500 and p520 engine difference

T

traveler

Sep 17, 2015
Does anyone know the difference between the p500 engine and the new one in the p520 besides a few more cc's ?

Reactions: 906UP and TxDoc
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

The only thing that I ever found through reading articles was an increase to the bore. The stroke, compression and throttle body are the same from the P500 to the P520.

Still, 43cc's from the increase in bore is a nice bump. Not quite 10%, but they didn't add that much weight either.

Rob

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Does anyone know the difference between the p500 engine and the new one in the p520 besides a few more cc's ?
Hi,

The only thing that I ever found through reading articles was an increase to the bore. The stroke, compression and throttle body are the same from the P500 to the P520.

Still, 43cc's from the increase in bore is a nice bump. Not quite 10%, but they didn't add that much weight either.

Rob
@906UP rebuilt his 500 to a 520 cc. He might be able to shed some light.
The difference is a 2mm larger bore, as @crewcabrob everything else is the same. I checked the part numbers for the TB, injector, even the ECU is the same, so I assume the fuel map is the same.

Honda claims a 1.2hp increase (or something like that), they didn't give torque numbers but it feels like it has a bit more low end grunt. It seems to pull hills a bit better and holds top end runs a bit better. I found a couple articles about it from when they introduced it in the Foretrax line up and they made it sound like it had more to do with emissions improvements than anything.

I rebuilt the top end on mine this past winter, it's not a simple bolt on by any means. I ended splitting the cases and completely gutting the bottom end & trans, bolting the cases back together and machining the bore in the case to fit the 518cc cyl. Mine was ready for a top end anyways so it was a bit more work but I had time. I ordered all OEM parts from Honda..... cylinder, piston, rings & gaskets.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I rebuilt the top end on mine this past winter, it's not a simple bolt on by any means. I ended splitting the cases and completely gutting the bottom end & trans, bolting the cases back together and machining the bore in the case to fit the 518cc cyl. Mine was ready for a top end anyways so it was a bit more work but I had time. I ordered all OEM parts from Honda..... cylinder, piston, rings & gaskets.
Sounds like quite a job.

I couldn't find info on the HP or torque for the new machine. I had to extrapolate that 43cc's is about 8.3% of 518 cc's. I read that the p500 has 28.7hp so, if you add 8.3% to that, (2.3821hp), it would be 31.0821hp.

Rob

Reactions: Mudder
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Sounds like quite a job.

I couldn't find info on the HP or torque for the new machine. I had to extrapolate that 43cc's is about 8.3% of 518 cc's. I read that the p500 has 28.7hp so, if you add 8.3% to that, (2.3821hp), it would be 31.0821hp.

Rob
It's not quite that simple.....if it were then the Talon would only be 60hp +/- instead of 106 or whatever they are.

Here is one of the articles I found Honda updates Foreman ATV range with more powerful TRX 520 - Farmers Weekly

This one and a couple others put it at about 30hp, 1.3hp more than the 475cc version.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!