P500 P500 Glory! ...maybe

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
After what has felt like forever, I think I will finally jump into the Honda SxS world. At first, the wife and I were thinking a P500 to fit in our truck bed, allow us to ride the 50" trails, and be a good entry SxS.

Then, the wife was wanting a 700-4 or 1000-5 to haul the kids with us. We really dug into that option, but I think it's just not the time (yet). So we settled back on the P500.

There is a nice looking 2017 close to me that I am going to check out in a couple hours. Around 3500 miles. It has a windshield, roof, fabric back panel, winch, upgraded tires, metal basket on the back, a arm guards, and heat shielding under the seat. Maybe more that I am forgetting.

I feel that as long as it is in good shape, I will pull the trigger.

My question for you seasoned veterans is what should I be looking for when I check it out?

I plan to do the usual inspection: leaks, rust, rubber boots, test drive, test everything for functionality. Is there anything else I should make sure to double check?

I sure appreciate any info, tips, and pointers. Thanks!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The P5 is damn near indestructible, as long as it hasn't been abused. Look for signs of impact, dents in the front skid, bent A-arm mounts, etc. Ask about previous maintenance, check the oil & make sure it's clean. Look for signs of it being submerged.....weeds, mud high up on the frame.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Be careful of the Blue ones.....they are faster ;)
Haha, classic Honda red. 2nd fastest, or so I've read... Plus a discount!

Great comments everyone! Luckily where I'm from I feel it is less about mudding and swamps and more mountain trails, creek crossings, snow, rocky/dirt roads. I will still check the air box and for mud up the frame, and how clean the oil is. Had to move the date to next week to check it out, which is okay. It is the general deer season opener tomorrow. My little recon will hopefully haul out another!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Haha, classic Honda red. 2nd fastest, or so I've read... Plus a discount!

Great comments everyone! Luckily where I'm from I feel it is less about mudding and swamps and more mountain trails, creek crossings, snow, rocky/dirt roads. I will still check the air box and for mud up the frame, and how clean the oil is. Had to move the date to next week to check it out, which is okay. It is the general deer season opener tomorrow. My little recon will hopefully haul out another!
Good luck, post pics if you whack one!

BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Remove the hood check for missing/spliced wires. Look at the quality of wiring make sure it’s not all hacked up.
“Slightly” bent metal components could be signs of substantial impact.
Remove seat sections and look for caked mud.
Missing or striped fasteners.
Loose pedals and steering. Check air box for debris/dust/dirt.
This might seem crappy and judgmental but also take into consideration the condition of the sellers other items.
Personal vehicle, property, shop area/garage ect........I’ve found that guys who have reasonably clean organized garages , property, personal vehicle,whatever...tend to take care of things. Sounds kinda bad when you try to explain it but when I pull up to a reasonably well kept place other than a junkyard with broken down things and reasonably well kept everyday personal vehicles I’m a more confident about my purchase.
Hope that last part made sense......🤷‍♂️

My P500 and my Recon.
I love that little recon and your gonna like the P500 I’m sure.
986F06D5 3983 433A 9815 CCFBA0455807

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
P500 glory at last!
Screenshot 20201013 110204
Screenshot 20201013 110245

A little bit of rust, but I will take care of that. The windshield isn't the best. Homemade roof is fine. Winch is awesome. Rear basket is great. Terrabites are awesome too (27s, but they didn't have spacers, I might need to get some of those so I don't tip over). Reflective insulation fabric under the seat (knock off trigger shield, sorry trigger). Under the hood storage. Spare tire. Hitch. A arm guards front and back. Ammo can for storage. Side mirrors. Back fabric panel with clear window is okay. Old school metal gun rack (not sure if I'll keep or not). Oil, filters, air filter for next service.

It's not perfect, but it was decently cared for and has a lot of the upgrades that I wanted to do. It's a 2017 with just over 3200 miles on it.

They didn't have the door nets, anyone have set that want to sell? My wife wants them for the kids.

Finally! Can I be a real member now? 😁

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P500 glory at last!
View attachment 229925View attachment 229926

A little bit of rust, but I will take care of that. The windshield isn't the best. Homemade roof is fine. Winch is awesome. Rear basket is great. Terrabites are awesome too (27s, but they didn't have spacers, I might need to get some of those so I don't tip over). Reflective insulation fabric under the seat (knock off trigger shield, sorry trigger). Under the hood storage. Spare tire. Hitch. A arm guards front and back. Ammo can for storage. Side mirrors. Back fabric panel with clear window is okay. Old school metal gun rack (not sure if I'll keep or not). Oil, filters, air filter for next service.

It's not perfect, but it was decently cared for and has a lot of the upgrades that I wanted to do. It's a 2017 with just over 3200 miles on it.

They didn't have the door nets, anyone have set that want to sell? My wife wants them for the kids.

Finally! Can I be a real member now? 😁
Congratulations on the new ride. Let me be the first to welcome you to the red is the fastest color owners club. It is now your duty to not let those other color haters spread their lies unchallenged. A small price to pay for that little bit of extra speed Mother Honda gives us red owners.

BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Congratulations on the new ride. Let me be the first to welcome you to the red is the fastest color owners club. It is now your duty to not let those other color haters spread their lies unchallenged. A small price to pay for that little bit of extra speed Mother Honda gives us red owners.
Very nice ride dude !!! Congrats from Oregon😎👍You got a hell of a lot of upgrades on that buggy. Mines still rolling on 24s and no add ons yet except 881 LED headlights. Gotta wait till after Christmas before I go spending $$ on myself....
That said,let me be the first to welcome you to the “red is fastest except for camo cause you can’t see us passing you” club.
Thank you....🙏

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!