Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Long post here.......

So yesterday I put about 40 miles on the P5. Met up with my uncle and his friends to ride some trails I'd never been to. We were taking roads to get there - not trailering.

The other buggys were all Polaris, with a Canam thrown in. I don't have to mention that those machines are better road buggies...

Anyhow, I was running the P5 pretty hard in 5th keeping up. They didn't go too fast and leave me behind though. The road speeds were 36 - 38 mph. No issues at all on the way to the trails.

Once we hit the trails, it was all fun. The P5 got plenty of interest. I easily blazed new trails around where the leader got stuck so I could help get him out. He showed us a big mud hole, and I was the only one that attempted it. I got through easy enough, and no one would follow. So I turned around and went back through. haha

So the machine was pretty muddy from that mud hole. I didn't notice a lot of mud on the radiator, but the mud hole had a lot of muddy water and it splashed up over the hood, so I know it got on the radiator.
So on the way home, it was the same 36 - 38 MPH. After a couple miles, I saw the temp gauge climb to 4 bars! Since I have owned it, I had only seen it go to 3 bars briefly and then back to two. Obviously, I was concerned! I was trying to keep up with my uncle, but when the temp went up I slowed down to 32 or so, and that seemed to help. Whenever I would bring the speed back up to 37 or 38, the temp climbed. Most of the trip was slight hills, up and down. No real long climbs. The last couple miles of the trip home was downhill - and the temp dropped down to 2 bars after a half mile or so of downhill. I went about 35 for the whole downhill stretch.

I never noticed a loss of power at any point. Once I finally made it home, I washed the buggy pretty good. Sprayed the radiator and did notice some mud coming out of it, but not a whole lot.

Has anyone else ever gotten their P5 to heat up???

Reactions: rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Long post here.......

So yesterday I put about 40 miles on the P5. Met up with my uncle and his friends to ride some trails I'd never been to. We were taking roads to get there - not trailering.

The other buggys were all Polaris, with a Canam thrown in. I don't have to mention that those machines are better road buggies...

Anyhow, I was running the P5 pretty hard in 5th keeping up. They didn't go too fast and leave me behind though. The road speeds were 36 - 38 mph. No issues at all on the way to the trails.

Once we hit the trails, it was all fun. The P5 got plenty of interest. I easily blazed new trails around where the leader got stuck so I could help get him out. He showed us a big mud hole, and I was the only one that attempted it. I got through easy enough, and no one would follow. So I turned around and went back through. haha

So the machine was pretty muddy from that mud hole. I didn't notice a lot of mud on the radiator, but the mud hole had a lot of muddy water and it splashed up over the hood, so I know it got on the radiator.
So on the way home, it was the same 36 - 38 MPH. After a couple miles, I saw the temp gauge climb to 4 bars! Since I have owned it, I had only seen it go to 3 bars briefly and then back to two. Obviously, I was concerned! I was trying to keep up with my uncle, but when the temp went up I slowed down to 32 or so, and that seemed to help. Whenever I would bring the speed back up to 37 or 38, the temp climbed. Most of the trip was slight hills, up and down. No real long climbs. The last couple miles of the trip home was downhill - and the temp dropped down to 2 bars after a half mile or so of downhill. I went about 35 for the whole downhill stretch.

I never noticed a loss of power at any point. Once I finally made it home, I washed the buggy pretty good. Sprayed the radiator and did notice some mud coming out of it, but not a whole lot.

Has anyone else ever gotten their P5 to heat up???
I've never had that happen, but I do tend to avoid mud holes. Is it ok now after cleaning it up, or did you not go back out yet?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Good post...
take a breathe. ..haha
I would take same ride
stay out of the mud hole
....& see wat happens.
Others that ride in muddy
areas....may have experienced
the same thing...

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've never had that happen, but I do tend to avoid mud holes. Is it ok now after cleaning it up, or did you not go back out yet?
By the time i got done washing it, I was exhausted. So I haven't ridden it again. I really do think it will be fine, It was just strange to me because you would think that the cooling system would work best at high speed. I would think it would be much more likely to overheat at low speeds in the trails, not driving down the road with a constant 35 or 38 mph wind blowing over the radiator.

Reactions: JTW and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
By the time i got done washing it, I was exhausted. So I haven't ridden it again. I really do think it will be fine, It was just strange to me because you would think that the cooling system would work best at high speed. I would think it would be much more likely to overheat at low speeds in the trails, not driving down the road with a constant 35 or 38 mph wind blowing over the radiator.
I hear ya...
muddy water shouldn't
plug fins on radiator. ..
big clumps of mud....yes
I would do same ride
without mud hole....
& share your results. ..

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Good post...
take a breathe. ..haha
I would take same ride
stay out of the mud hole
....& see wat happens.
Others that ride in muddy
areas....may have experienced
the same thing...
I've never taken that long of a road trip on it. Maybe they just don't like going several miles at close to top speed...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've never taken that long of a road trip on it. Maybe they just don't like going several miles at close to top speed...
Let us know...
I've road 25...35mph
steady for 60 miles
Was on dirt road....
but never got more
than 2 bars

Reactions: ehart814
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I'm curious too. I've wondered what it takes to get the temp to go up on the machine. Lots of slow riding on really hot days and it never went up on me. I was surprised every time I checked the gauge.

Reactions: rocmar and ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Ok well hopefully it's all good. I ride mine on a road about five miles to get to the NF at speeds 25 to 40 and honestly never have looked at the temp gauge when doing that. I do keep an eye on it on the slow trails, pulling hills and such. But now, I'm going to check that out next time.

Reactions: ehart814
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I've seen cars overheat due to snow plugged radiators. You'd think wet snow would help or least not hurt much o_O

Reactions: JTW and ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've seen cars overheat due to snow plugged radiators. You'd think wet snow would help or least not hurt much o_O
I once boiled over my radiator on my old 82 rabbit, stuck in snow. Back in the day...delivering pizzas. Never thought I could overheat it in 15 degree weather.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm curious too. I've wondered what it takes to get the temp to go up on the machine. Lots of slow riding on really hot days and it never went up on me. I was surprised every time I checked the gauge.
Yeah, those are the types of conditions I'd expect it to get warm. I always watch the temp gauge when I'm in the woods, and never once saw it get warm.

Reactions: Shadesmn
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have ran like 15 miles of rolling hills with two fat guys on board at W O T . Temp gauge didn't move .

Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
& remember if ya see a
broke down...PoPo...
steal his f*** ing gas...
Don't get any PoPo
on ya....
hahahaha

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
I got mine hot over the weekend, made the light come on.
I was pulling a Rancher that was not running behind me, for a long time.
I would say about 15 miles into the trip the light came on, I was going up a pretty good grade for a while
I stopped, let it cool off and on the move again. Got back to camp.
I rode trails next day about 45 miles, without pulling anyone, and it was just fine.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I thought I remembered someone having a similar issue a while ago. I did some searches, but came up empty. If I recall, he was running near wot for a good number of miles. I don't recall any fix.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I rode mine for about 12 miles last night and it never heated up. I wasn't pushing it as hard as I was sunday though. Seems everything is normal now...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I rode mine for about 12 miles last night and it never heated up. I wasn't pushing it as hard as I was sunday though. Seems everything is normal now...
Glad to hear it ehart!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!