P500 P520 1st oil change

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
FYI: Did the 1st oil change & filter on Saturday. Took a little time, but not hard to do. It shifts a lot better, quieter and smoother. Auto still sucks, but manual is good. If you do not like the shifting on your P520 wait for the 1st oil change.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Funny, I did mine today too. 1st oil change at 100 miles is crazy. My oil looked perfect.

I haven't rode mine enough to notice after the change to know if it is better now or not.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Funny, I did mine today too. 1st oil change at 100 miles is crazy. My oil looked perfect.

I haven't rode mine enough to notice after the change to know if it is better now or not.

Rob
Yeah, I remember doing my first and cutting that little biscuit sized filter open and inspecting for shavings or anything and it was clean. 3,500 miles later and many oil changes but no filters. Synthetics, good break in and a little experience with the flick of the shift and it’s smooth as butter….😎

D

Dagwood1287

May 20, 2021
West Monroe, LA.
Ownership

1. 500
What weight and oil are you guys using for 1stboil change? Full synthetic? If so, what brand?

Reactions: toddvdh
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I went to the dealership and purchased the Honda oil. I kept reading the manual and how particular it was and decided I might as well drink the Koolaid and go get the approved stuff. Way more reasonable than I expected.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
FYI: Did the 1st oil change & filter on Saturday. Took a little time, but not hard to do. It shifts a lot better, quieter and smoother. Auto still sucks, but manual is good. If you do not like the shifting on your P520 wait for the 1st oil change.
I've finally put more miles on my P520 after the oil change. I agree that it is way quieter and shifts better now.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520

Rob

Did you guys cut the access hole to get to the filter? I've got my first service coming up and debating on taking it to dealer or doing it myself...

Reactions: toddvdh and Mudder
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Did you guys cut the access hole to get to the filter? I've got my first service coming up and debating on taking it to dealer or doing it myself...
Hi,

I didn’t cut any access holes to change the oil. You can access the drain plug from below pretty easily. To get to the oil filter, I just removed the seat and then the panels that are over the engine on both sides. Not a difficult job at all, I’m glad I didn’t waste my time and effort going to the dealer so they could charge me way too much.

Rob

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
No, I did not cut an access hole. Crewcabrob is right it’s not a difficult job. I liked all the room to get to the filter with the panel removed.
“Max’s Moto Shop” did a video on YouTube that helped me. “How to change the oil on a Pioneer 520 / 2021 Honda”

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Rob
It isn't the oil that's the problem at 100 miles, it's all the milling swarf that's left in there from the manufacturing process. I try to do the first oil change at less than 100 miles on any new engine.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, cut the access hole and wished I had done it since the first change. Trigger shield covers the hole.
do you have any pics of were to cut this access hole . if it saves me time to remove all 14 pins..id like to know. Then again i suppose it wouldn't be hard to figured out where to make the hole..

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
It isn't the oil that's the problem at 100 miles, it's all the milling swarf that's left in there from the manufacturing process. I try to do the first oil change at less than 100 miles on any new engine.
I inspected the oil looking for metal shavings, but luckily there were none.

100 miles seemed crazy for me. The automotive world is much more than that. BMW has 1,200 miles for the break-in oil to come out on the M cars. Granted, you can cover a lot more distance quicker in a car, so maybe the big rig guys have it right and do hours instead of miles.

Reactions: CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I inspected the oil looking for metal shavings, but luckily there were none.

100 miles seemed crazy for me. The automotive world is much more than that. BMW has 1,200 miles for the break-in oil to come out on the M cars. Granted, you can cover a lot more distance quicker in a car, so maybe the big rig guys have it right and do hours instead of miles.
I changed that little biscuit sized filter on the first oil change, cut it open in search of same but found none. The process of changing the filter is so antiquated and ridiculous considering external spin on oil filter tech has been around since the 60’s. Never changed it again, but pull the oil every 400 miles or so and repurpose it for chainsaw bar and chain oil. 7 years and 4,000 miles like that.

Reactions: SouthwestORV
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
do you have any pics of were to cut this access hole . if it saves me time to remove all 14 pins..id like to know. Then again i suppose it wouldn't be hard to figured out where to make the hole..
Some photos in this thread.

Reactions: 500oneer
Sprd69

Sprd69

Jul 24, 2021
Texarkana Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My oil change is coming up in 10 miles or so. I opted for Walmart full synthetic motorcycle oil. Got 4 or 5 filters off of Amazon. I have a Trigger Shield to remove with the panels. I don't think I'm going to cut a hole. I have already adjusted the clutch and man what a difference.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
In my experience, when you hit the 500-mile mark/oil change the unit really begins to shift much smoother.

Reactions: SouthwestORV
RLC59

RLC59

Feb 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Mine shifted much better after the 100 mile service performed at the dealer, not sure if they adjusted it or if the Honda synthetic oil I had them put in smoothed it out but it is 1000% better. I can actually use the auto shift mode now.

Reactions: Dave75

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!