P700 P700-4 vs P1000-5 purchase decision

C

Catfishmk

Nov 23, 2020
Sioux Falls sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious from the owners of P700-4 vs 1000-5 from a buyers perspective or owner of a 700-4 is for a first UTV SXS buy vs a 1000-5. I was initially looking at the 1000-5 but really not so excited about the high price and being new to UTV it seems like I am jumping in pretty deep. I was primarily looking to use this for snow removal of a 3 car driveway and short haul road, also for lite utility, but mostly fun with our 2 kids (seatbelts required), so most ever is 4 passengers. I also don't see the need to drive above 45MPH. I am curious about power steering on the 700 or if there would be any other decisions on why I would not choose a 700 over a 1000 and save the dough as I enter this market - has anyone else faced this and feel their decision was a good one? Thanks for any helpful input on this!

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. All I have ever had since the Rhino days is a P1K. @Mudwing has a 700 and @Russ989 has had both. They will be able to answer more intelligently than me. Compared to the Rhino, an 07, the Pioneer 1000 is a way better machine.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I was in the same situation earlier this year. I ended up buying a 700-4 deluxe and have absolutely no regrets. We love it and it has done all I have asked of it. At deer camp this summer I was amazed the places I could pull a trailer loaded with stands through. I have the 72" Denali plow from the store here and so far we have had two plowable snow events. Both times it rained first then we got 6-7" of wet heavy snow so it was mud under the snow and it was an absolute beast plowing. I am sure the extra power of the 1000 would be awesome to have and I would really like turf mode. But I couldn't justify the $4,500 higher price tag of the 1000. That would have meant waiting another year. We love our 700-4 and am glad we bought it.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious from the owners of P700-4 vs 1000-5 from a buyers perspective or owner of a 700-4 is for a first UTV SXS buy vs a 1000-5. I was initially looking at the 1000-5 but really not so excited about the high price and being new to UTV it seems like I am jumping in pretty deep. I was primarily looking to use this for snow removal of a 3 car driveway and short haul road, also for lite utility, but mostly fun with our 2 kids (seatbelts required), so most ever is 4 passengers. I also don't see the need to drive above 45MPH. I am curious about power steering on the 700 or if there would be any other decisions on why I would not choose a 700 over a 1000 and save the dough as I enter this market - has anyone else faced this and feel their decision was a good one? Thanks for any helpful input on this!
They are both good machines, the main difference for me with the 1000 is power and drive modes.

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the 700-4 deluxe. My friend has 1000-5
The 1000 has more speed/power and is a little wider and has bigger wheels.

I do wish the 700 went faster. The main road here is 55mph.But, I have no regrets buying the 700. It has done everything I’ve thrown at it

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was in your boat when I got mine. I ended up going 700-4 because I also couldn't justify the extra 5k investment, the 700-4 has hauled me and my kids pretty much everywhere. Sure there will always be a time id like the 1000s power for certain situations but the 700 has never really left me disappointed either. Plus with the 700 you've got 18 years of proven reliability coming from the Rincon. Plus that extra money I saved let me pay my truck off early so I'd call that a win lol

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both will do what u want. Only thing i will never buy a sxs without power steering. If u don't have it u don't miss it, but once u do u will never go back. Bump steer is eliminated by alot, and I can hold a beverage and steer with a finger . The 700 deluxe has my favorite honda rim of all time.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought a 700-4 base in May. I've put 600 miles on it. Only time I've wanted the 1000 was driving on actual roads. 700 has done everything that I've asked. Carried 4/5 people, hauled 1000lbs. Drug trees, retrieved deer, etc.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
WELCOME!

N

nbstl68

Dec 22, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am a brand new 700-4 owner as of a few days ago. I have driven it maybe 6 miles and will say I HATE HATE HATE how loud/noisy/rattle this thing is! I can't believe no one else has mentioned this. I bought this as a part time yard work / snow plow /part time cushy ride around the neighborhood and socialize vehicle but there is no way I would want to drive it and carry on a conversation.
It is not all that loud when idling, but even just off idle the doors and anything slightly loose starts shaking and vibrating adding to the noise and as soon as you go faster it is especialy loud when you give it any amount of gas. From slow to about 15 mph it is shaky for lack of a better word. Once it finally shifts to third it gets smoother. Regular cruising though even around 20-30 mph even it is difficult to carry on a conversation. And if you have to step on the gas to go up hill forget talking at all. I started wearing ear protection after the 2nd ride. I could not justify the cost of the 1000 but have just read a few random site reviews that the 1000 is one of the quietest rides in its category and the 700 is one of the loudest.
The cost of the 700 was really over my budget to begin with but If I had the extra change I'd go to the 1000 if it really is a lot quieter. Maybe others here who have ridden both can tel you their opinion on the noise difference. I would say if you can, don't make my mistake and buy one without test driving it first to see if it is tolerable for you.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am a brand new 700-4 owner as of a few days ago. I have driven it maybe 6 miles and will say I HATE HATE HATE how loud/noisy/rattle this thing is! I can't believe no one else has mentioned this. I bought this as a part time yard work / snow plow /part time cushy ride around the neighborhood and socialize vehicle but there is no way I would want to drive it and carry on a conversation.
It is not all that loud when idling, but even just off idle the doors and anything slightly loose starts shaking and vibrating adding to the noise and as soon as you go faster it is especialy loud when you give it any amount of gas. From slow to about 15 mph it is shaky for lack of a better word. Once it finally shifts to third it gets smoother. Regular cruising though even around 20-30 mph even it is difficult to carry on a conversation. And if you have to step on the gas to go up hill forget talking at all. I started wearing ear protection after the 2nd ride. I could not justify the cost of the 1000 but have just read a few random site reviews that the 1000 is one of the quietest rides in its category and the 700 is one of the loudest.
The cost of the 700 was really over my budget to begin with but If I had the extra change I'd go to the 1000 if it really is a lot quieter. Maybe others here who have ridden both can tel you their opinion on the noise difference. I would say if you can, don't make my mistake and buy one without test driving it first to see if it is tolerable for you.
De-rattling is a part of pioneer ownership. The 1000 shares the same nifty design on door latches, but the engine is less vibey. The #1 offender on the 700 (to me anyway) is the rear diff.
I've spent all of 5 minutes in a 1000, so I can't really compare, but everyone says it's a lot better, but I suspect no SxS is truly automotive/ATV quiet to the operators.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ride a 2003 Rincon. May buy a Honda SXS.
The Rincon is noisy compared to the 1000. We test drove a 1000. If and when we but a SXS it will be a 1000.

Reactions: Smitty335
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 700-4 does what we ask of it for the farm and hunting without any complaints.
We could have bought either machine but opted for the 700-4 due to the woods we are always in and it being easier to thread between trees.
No SXS is going to be jeep quiet.
To my way of thinking and it is only mine if I wanted a jeep to offroad I would start mine up otherwise the 700 is a tool to be used and I can't understand trying to seal up and heat and quiet down an exposed offroad machine.
If the luxuries of an enclosed cab are what I desire then I will start my truck or my jeep not a SXS.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don’t find it extremely loud. I wear a helmet when riding and can hold a conversation when I’m cruising. When I get on the skinny pedal the conversation goes on hold. The doors have rubber stops that you can adjust. There are also door bushings that help take up the slack. The engine and gears get quieter over time. You can try synthetic oils to quiet down the rear end. 😉

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don’t find it extremely loud. I wear a helmet when riding and can hold a conversation when I’m cruising. When I get on the skinny pedal the conversation goes on hold. The doors have rubber stops that you can adjust. There are also door bushings that help take up the slack. The engine and gears get quieter over time. You can try synthetic oils to quiet down the rear end. 😉
The main dislike I have for any S x S is the lack of turf mode if you use it in the yard, other than that go for it!

BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2

I agree you should test drive any vehicle before buying it.

I test drove every model Honda and others I could get my hands for ride, steering, and noise back in 2005. I got p-700 because it had best ride, maneuverability, less noise, and plenty power for my tastes, Never had noise problems except loose doors that are easy to tighten up.

Lately been testing other brands and Honda 500, 700, and 1000. 1000 has punch but I don’t need more than 35 mph. The P-700 tows everything I tried including heavy creep feeders.

Something must be really wrong If you cannot hear your rider or need hearing protection.

I did test drive an electric Bad Boy UTV in Natchez MS once. Drove great and could sneak up on a fox. They got bought up and I did not pursue it.

Beretta67

Beretta67

Nov 11, 2020
McKean Co. Pa.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Put one of those on my 500 for about 45 mins. It was quieter but robbed power and stunk to high heaven, probably due to creating back pressure. Went back to the trail head and took that thing off. Sent it back and got a full refund. I'd only recommend it if you're a hunter and noise level is critical, for trail riding it sucked.

Reactions: CID and Backwoods
A

Acor3359

Dec 2, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4

I think that you answered you're question by saying you don't want the higher price and don't mind only going 45 MPH. I got a 700-4 and it does great in the winter, plenty of low end. On trails the MPH doesn't really even register because you can't open it up most of the time anyways. To me, the biggest deciding factor was the the 1000-5 is almost 4 inches wider which doesn't seem like much, but on trails it makes all the difference. The 1000-5 would make a great machine, a lot more power, and you never would have the "wish I would have's" with going with a more powerful machine. If you do more open riding, then go with the 1000-5, but if you do more trail riding, I would highly recommend the 700-4.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!