BOX1

P700 P700-4 vs P1000-5 purchase decision

Beretta67

Beretta67

Nov 11, 2020
McKean Co. Pa.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put one of those on my 500 for about 45 mins. It was quieter but robbed power and stunk to high heaven, probably due to creating back pressure. Went back to the trail head and took that thing off. Sent it back and got a full refund. I'd only recommend it if you're a hunter and noise level is critical, for trail riding it sucked.
I ran one on a Yamaha Rhino for 6,000+ miles, I’m running one on my P7-4, and my 520 Foreman Rubicon. I’ve never noticed any power being robbed, just noise being robbed. Also never noticed any abnormal smell after the paint is burnt off. With that being said I also do not ride at high elevations.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and Backwoods
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have no regrets in my 700/4, on the trails it's 10 to 15 mph! Who cares what the out right speed is?
I agree, I don't know how fast Rooster will run.

Reactions: Backwoods
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I ran one on a Yamaha Rhino for 6,000+ miles, I’m running one on my P7-4, and my 520 Foreman Rubicon. I’ve never noticed any power being robbed, just noise being robbed. Also never noticed any abnormal smell after the paint is burnt off. With that being said I also do not ride at high elevations.

No high elevation here either it was in MI. Keeping up with P1's on group rides this P5 gets pushed pretty hard. I noticed the power rob, the people riding behind me were the one's b****ing about the smell. Felt like a restriction of airflow, it just wasn't for me.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I love everything about my 700-2 other than the engine noise. All rattles are taken care of, but it's just a noisy machine. Especially in 1st just before changing gears or going uphill. I can alleviate the 1st to 2nd change with the paddles if I want, but going uphill in the dark in the woods and the beast is just loud.

Dont really care about top speed, dont need a bigger machine, it'll go anywhere I want it and haul whatever I want, is a smooth ride...but it's loud doing it.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will make a suggestion to you 700 owners. To help with the engine noise switch to Amsoil 10W40 ATV oil. My 2003 Rincon, same motor is quieter with it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am a brand new 700-4 owner as of a few days ago. I have driven it maybe 6 miles and will say I HATE HATE HATE how loud/noisy/rattle this thing is! I can't believe no one else has mentioned this. I bought this as a part time yard work / snow plow /part time cushy ride around the neighborhood and socialize vehicle but there is no way I would want to drive it and carry on a conversation.
It is not all that loud when idling, but even just off idle the doors and anything slightly loose starts shaking and vibrating adding to the noise and as soon as you go faster it is especialy loud when you give it any amount of gas. From slow to about 15 mph it is shaky for lack of a better word. Once it finally shifts to third it gets smoother. Regular cruising though even around 20-30 mph even it is difficult to carry on a conversation. And if you have to step on the gas to go up hill forget talking at all. I started wearing ear protection after the 2nd ride. I could not justify the cost of the 1000 but have just read a few random site reviews that the 1000 is one of the quietest rides in its category and the 700 is one of the loudest.
The cost of the 700 was really over my budget to begin with but If I had the extra change I'd go to the 1000 if it really is a lot quieter. Maybe others here who have ridden both can tel you their opinion on the noise difference. I would say if you can, don't make my mistake and buy one without test driving it first to see if it is tolerable for you.
To be fair, the gear whine in my Talon is painful to me, even with a helmet, so I'll always be wearing foam ear plugs. On top of the engine/driveline, every part on my sister's Rzr rattled but we were wearing radio headsets so not an issue.

Reactions: Glock21user
R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am also new to the SxS scene. I ended up with the 700-4D. Around this area you can't find the 700-4. The local dealer in my area had several 1000s but only 1 other 700 and was a basic. I didn't see it last time I was up there. I did test drive the 1000-5D and it is very nice. Six speed, low range, and does have a lot more power and is usually the way I would go. For what I am doing I figured I really didn't need it especially for $4000 more. I wondered if I made the right decision until I took the 700 out for the first time to Barnwell Mountain off road park in Gilmer, TX. Now I know I made the right decision. It took me into areas that my wife was telling me "don't you dare" but I dared and it did great. I had power to spare in the areas I went on. Having the 1000 would have not made a difference since the 700 made it through everything I tried. I think if you are going into areas that the 700 doesn't have enough power to get through I think a Talon should be on your radar. After all the 700 and 1000 are utility vehicles and the Talon is a sport vehicle made more for that with longer suspension travel. My wife and I are very pleased with my 700-4D and it fits on the 10 x 6 trailer I already had. Plus it carries 4 people which I have utilized while searching and removing deer from the woods. I load 4 healthy guys in it to help load the deer onto the rack shown in the pick and bring it all out through bottoms in Louisiana.
20201230 0950101

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I have a 700-4 and have never been disappointed. I fixed the majiof the noise issue by wrapping the exhaust. It cut the noise in half as well as the heat. Best upgrade I have done. I am considering switching to the 1000-5 as we use this beast from west Virginia to Montana and here at home in Wisconsin. The low range with paddles is really appealing especially in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 700-4 and have never been disappointed. I fixed the majiof the noise issue by wrapping the exhaust. It cut the noise in half as well as the heat. Best upgrade I have done. I am considering switching to the 1000-5 as we use this beast from west Virginia to Montana and here at home in Wisconsin. The low range with paddles is really appealing especially in the mountains.

Did you wrap the exhaust with something like this? I'm surprised it would make that much difference.

Reactions: livefromthetree
FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
I can't compare the two, but I have loved my 700-4 Deluxe. There is nowhere I have wanted to get to that I haven't gotten to. I would assume it is like a car, if you're going to buy a V4 model, don't even try and test drive the V6 model.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

Same question as @CID what did you wrap the exhaust with? Pics and or video of the labor involved and finished product would be great if you can.

Yeah yeah I know I am asking a lot 😂

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Same question as @CID what did you wrap the exhaust with? Pics and or video of the labor involved and finished product would be great if you can.

Yeah yeah I know I am asking a lot 😂
Seems like this eventually cracks the exhaust if you directly wrap it. What I have considered is wrapping the heat shields.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Seems like this eventually cracks the exhaust if you directly wrap it. What I have considered is wrapping the heat shields.
I've read that wrapping the exhaust eventually kills it in one way or another but if it makes a significant noise difference, I might be willing to take that chance.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've read that wrapping the exhaust eventually kills it in one way or another but if it makes a significant noise difference, I might be willing to take that chance.
The front section...sure. I wanna say it's like $120 from Honda, so I'd be good with that if it lasts a while. The rear section contains the cat, and I think it's closer to $400. Not that I'd wrap it anyway...
That said, I don't know how much nose comes from it once you get it dialed in. I'll say it again; to me, at anywhere but wide open throttle, the rear diff on the 700 is the worst noise offender. Of course, keep in mind I've already done some noise proofing on my machine, so it's probably quieter than a bone stock 700, which makes that stand out even more.

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I tried using shields, but mud would get between the shield and the pipe. I used DEI Titanium wrap 1". Wear rubber gloves, it like playing with insulation. Then you spray it with DEI''s silicone coating. Two years and still holding strong. I'll see if I can dig up a picture or take a few.

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I only wrapped the front section, that seemed to be enough.

Reactions: DG Rider
I

ike775

May 20, 2020
yerington nevada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Get the 100-5 deluxe, the LE is worth it with the added shocks etc...
You will want a low gear at some point and the p 700 does not have one. My p700 being the first machine I ever bought I overlooked this and would have went to 1000-5 deluxe knowing what I know now. I though owning a boat costs a lot but I keep adding aftermarket accessories on the my machine.

Reactions: caverat
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!