BOX1

P700 P700 IACV Removal/Replacement - High Idle Issues!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So what is an IACV and why should you care? IACV stands for Idle Air Control Valve and as you might guess, it controls the idle on your 700. So if your engine idle is too high, too low, or irregular (like mine was) this is a good place to start. Basically, there are three main things that could go wrong with your IACV-

1. It can get dirty, causing it to stick
2. The wire plug-in can come loose
3. It can fail altogether

This is a very easy item to check out yourself, requiring only two tools!

Fender clip removal tool (screwdriver in my case) and

T20 torx security driver bit

I had to buy the T20 security bit which I found at Harbor Freight. For $10 dollars I got all the security bits I'll ever need

Harbor Freight - 100 Pc Security Bit Set with Case Or Amazon - http://amzn.to/2d7Cf9c

Ok first thing you do is raise the bed. The IACV is located on the throttle body-

Take the time to clean up this area before you remove anything. A soft brush and compressed air work well if you don't want to wash the whole machine. Next thing I did was remove the plastic shroud behind the seat. This isn't required but sure makes life easier.

Now we have much more room to work-

Before pulling the plug off the IACV, check to make sure to on there tight. If it's loose, it could be causing your problem. If it's good and tight then we need to dig deeper. Remove the plug by pressing down on the tab and pulling it off-

Press here

Then gently pull it off

Now grab your T20 security bit and remove the two screws on top of the IACV. If you dont have access to the security bit a good pair of vice grips have worked for others.

Followed by this retaining plate-

Finally we can pull out the IACV-

As you can see, mine was pretty dirty! I sprayed it off with some Sensor Cleaner and let it dry before reinstallation. Putting the IACV back in is the reverse of removal but there is one thing to be aware of. When looking at the plunger on the IACV you will see this slot-

There is also a small alignment pin inside the hole that the IACV goes into. You guessed it, the pin must align in the slot in order for the IACV to seat properly. After everything is reinstalled fire it up and see how she idles!

CAUTION: Take extra caution when working on this unit. The black plunger will unscrew and the bolts can not be easily found at your local Hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Update

Had IACV issues again this weekend, so bad we could barely keep the machine from dying without always keeping a foot lightly on the throttle. What fun 20 miles deep in the forest! But I learned a few things I thought I’d share so hopefully you guys won’t make the same mistakes I did.

First thing is after doing some research I learned that Honda recommends replacing faulty IACV’s, not cleaning them. What a shock right? In my experience cleaning it can help prolong its life a bit, but I agree if it’s acting up plan on replacing it.

Second, when you pull the IACV peek down in the hole it came out of. It may also require cleaning. Mine benefitted greatly from a blast of carb cleaner followed by a blast of air.

Third, I had to ask, why is this a recurring problem for me?? I think it’s lack of air cleaner maintenance, so in other words, my fault. Clean your damn air filter! That’s the only way it could be getting dirty I can think of.

And lastly, when installing the new IACV you must turn out the black slotted piece (see last pic in first post) so that it matches the factory one. That will make sense when you compare the old IACV to the new one. The amount you turn it out seems to affect the idle level. The further you turn it out, the lower the idle and vice versa. If you turn it all the way in it creates a lope idle, basically meaning it’s not working.

I’ve not heard of anyone else having this issue with a pioneer (it’s somewhat common on the rincon forum) but if you do I hope this helps. Keep your air cleaner clean and you should be good!

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Update

Had IACV issues again this weekend, so bad we could barely keep the machine from dying without always keeping a foot lightly on the throttle. What fun 20 miles deep in the forest! But I learned a few things I thought I’d share so hopefully you guys won’t make the same mistakes I did.

First thing is after doing some research I learned that Honda recommends replacing faulty IACV’s, not cleaning them. What a shock right? In my experience cleaning it can help prolong its life a bit, but I agree if it’s acting up plan on replacing it.

Second, when you pull the IACV peek down in the hole it came out of. It may also require cleaning. Mine benefitted greatly from a blast of carb cleaner followed by a blast of air.

Third, I had to ask, why is this a recurring problem for me?? I think it’s lack of air cleaner maintenance, so in other words, my fault. Clean your damn air filter! That’s the only way it could be getting dirty I can think of.

And lastly, when installing the new IACV you must turn out the black slotted piece (see last pic in first post) so that it matches the factory one. That will make sense when you compare the old IACV to the new one. The amount you turn it out seems to affect the idle level. The further you turn it out, the lower the idle and vice versa. If you turn it all the way in it creates a lope idle, basically meaning it’s not working.

I’ve not heard of anyone else having this issue with a pioneer (it’s somewhat common on the rincon forum) but if you do I hope this helps. Keep your air cleaner clean and you should be good!

Thanks a Bunch for the INFO...Great information...I have not had any issues , but tomorrow is a new day and ya never know..

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I'm having this problem now with my P500 and I'll be checking it first thing tomorrow.

Reactions: 70Bones
J

JMac1990

Jan 9, 2021
New Zealand
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi Team. This has been great info. I followed guidance previously cleaning it and all worked well, when I spend a long time on bike It has seemed to play up again. Thought to just replace the valve- went into Honda today and they quoted me $215 NZD which I thought was a lot. Is this IACV for Honda Pioneer around that price from others experience?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's $150 US.
Guess it depends on which part u were quoted.
Valve motor is $60us.
IACV full assy is $100us.
It would cost $40 to ship it to NZ.

L

lucasb01

Dec 30, 2022
Burnie
Ownership

1. 500
Hi - I had an issue with my 2015 sxs500 - dirty IACV was the cause!!! this fix worked fine.. the biggest issue was getting the back rack off! hahaha :) thank you for posting. ( i know this is an old thread but saved a trip to the bike shop!!)

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!