P700 Paddle shifters, EPS and other questions on 700-4

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi all, new to the forum and hoping to glean some information from the folks here on the Honda Pioneer 700-4...I've been researching a side-by-side for over a year since purchasing a new (larger) property here in NE New York but it is basically impossible to find any inventory anywhere.

My hope is things are going to come back around a bit after this year otherwise I will just putting a deposit in but, in the mean time, I have these questions that are somewhat subjective but certainly need to hear people's opinions:
  • Paddle shifters: are the manual shifters that come with the Deluxe beneficial for low-speed driving in any way? in other words, has anyone found that they are useful in situations like towing or hauling when you might normally use low-gear or are they really just to give that feeling of sporty control of the shifting?

• Power steering: I will mostly be doing utility work in our woods, so there is some tight cornering on trails and in-between trees but that will all be at low speed...do folks find the power steering to be a make or break option? I figured due to the smaller form factor and wheel-base that it may not be quite so essential as say with a massive crew-cab SxS like the Kawasaki Mule

• Plowing / winter driving: living in the Northeast, a good bit of my use for this thing will be plowing the gravel section of our (long) driveway and then also doing some trail driving in our woods for firewood and maple syrup in the early Spring...what have been folks experience with winter use of these vehicles? Plenty of power for plowing or maintaining traction in decent snow pack?
After researching the hell out of UTVs I've really honed in on the Pioneer 700 but want the option to load my two small kids in the back when they just want to go out for a ride. I had previously thought I wanted the Kawasaki Mule but after test driving one last fall it just felt like I was driving a boat around and our woods have nice trails but they are geared more for the size of the Pioneer. Plus the break-over angle of the Mule just felt like it was going to be a major issue with that long wheel-base...all the power in the world can't help you when you're high centered.

I have entertained the 1000-5 but I'm both on a budget and it felt like far more machine than I would need.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to the forums from far southwest Indiana.

Good thought out questions. Good luck on getting a new ride.

Here is my confession of paddle shifters. P700 - I have a confession, a paddle shift confession I LOVE THEM NOW and use them on every single ride. Cant wait until deer season rolls around and I can be much quieter between shifts.

I never thought I would care for power steering, but after using it the 1st week of ownership I wont go back.

No experience plowing, but many many Pioneers are used for plowing without issues.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the base and don’t see a need for the power steering or the paddle shifters. The one plus is you can hold it in first with the paddle shifters when going up a hill. If you need a lot of speed the auto may shift to second on the hill. The power steering would be nice while turning going slow but I have yet to need it. 3 ft/lb of force without power steering. 1.3 ft/lb of force with power steering. Honda did a good job on the steering geometry of the 7hundo. Others will have their opinion on both and say go for it. I wanted to keep the cost down so I went for the base. No ragurts!🤣😎

Last edited:
Thorney

Thorney

Mar 21, 2021
Minnesota / Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome. My thoughts below:

Paddle Shifters: Nice to have the option to use them. I honestly don't use them too much.

Power steering: Must have. It would be a deal breaker if it didn't have power steering.

Winter use/plowing: I got mine in May, haven't had any winter use yet. One of my primary reasons to own my 700-4D is for ice fishing. I can't wait to get it out on the hardwater. I will not be plowing.

Reactions: ADK_XJ
Kinlaw

Kinlaw

Mar 26, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I didn't think much of my power steering until I borrowed my dad's Gator, which doesn't have it. I would not want to do without power steering.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to the club!!!

Paddle shifters......Mine is pre paddle shifters but I never got the big deal. How the heck are you supposed to steer and shift at the same time? It's not like you'll be racing the thing. The paddles will however help you stay in 1st gear but it won't help the lack of a lower gear this machine has. That being said the 700 bogs right through almost everything people throw at it. The trans is bullet proof.

Power Steering...... It's a must. If you buy a machine without it you'll be adding the aftermarket PSing sooner than later.

Snow Plowing. No experience there but many many here have plows and do just fine with them.

Honestly though...... Quality control during covid is terrible for everything right now. Even the mighty Honda brand is taking it's lumps. If I were you..... I'd wait until the factories are back up and running like the well oiled machines they used to be. Plus, that would let you save your pennies for the 1000.

Reactions: ADK_XJ and swsebek
VTbarn1

VTbarn1

Nov 9, 2020
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-2
Love the paddle shifters, always use them.

Power steering is awesome.

I plow my long and steep gravel driveway and it does great. Check out my Utube videos at my channel: "Steven Barnes' Vermont Fishing Adventures ".

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm a short shifter and being able to 'paddle up' to keep the rpm as low as possible (noise) when cruising is the biggest reason I won't own another CVT. It's important to know that rpm is only a small part of the mechanical noise in a SxS.

Reactions: ADK_XJ and swsebek
livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm a short shifter and being able to 'paddle up' to keep the rpm as low as possible (noise) when cruising is the biggest reason I won't own another CVT. It's important to know that rpm is only a small part of the mechanical noise in a SxS.

Yep that's me now. Short shifting fool. Upshift once about 8 and upshift again at 16 and then let the auto trans do it's thing down from there

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
If I were in your shoes and know what I know now,I would be over budget and have a 1000. But they didn’t have them in 2014. The 700 is a great ride. I think paddle shifters would be nice to have,but not a deal breaker. I added power steering and wouldn’t go back to not having it. Sooner or later them kiddos and the Mrs. will be driving it and it helps them a lot.
Best of luck to you and welcome from Pa

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Michigan.
As for my preferences,
Power steering,
Running between trees or playing in sand then the weighted front end from a snow plow in the winter it is my opinion it is needed more than not.
Paddle shifters,
I use mine as many others to upshift and keep noise down just about every chance I get,
And snow plowing lastly,
The 700 does just fine pushing snow as long as it isn't a foot of heavy wet or slushy stuff.
We all have reasons for buying what we do but for me the ability to fit in between trees and tight spots is more important than size and power of the P1k.
At deer camp the 4 seats are always full and usually with a small trailer in tow and for our needs it is perfect.
Good luck and don't overthink it, just enjoy.

Reactions: CID and ADK_XJ
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If I were in your shoes and know what I know now,I would be over budget and have a 1000. But they didn’t have them in 2014. The 700 is a great ride. I think paddle shifters would be nice to have,but not a deal breaker. I added power steering and wouldn’t go back to not having it. Sooner or later them kiddos and the Mrs. will be driving it and it helps them a lot.
👏

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome to the forums from far southwest Indiana.

Good thought out questions. Good luck on getting a new ride.

Here is my confession of paddle shifters. P700 - I have a confession, a paddle shift confession I LOVE THEM NOW and use them on every single ride. Cant wait until deer season rolls around and I can be much quieter between shifts.

I never thought I would care for power steering, but after using it the 1st week of ownership I wont go back.

No experience plowing, but many many Pioneers are used for plowing without issues.
Thanks, is it just the noise that you like the paddle shifters for? That's not much of a concern for me in my use case but maybe you find it has better performance, too?

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the base and don’t see a need for the power steering or the paddle shifters. The one plus is you can hold it in first with the paddle shifters when going up a hill. If you need a lot of speed the auto may shift to second on the hill. The power steering would be nice while turning going slow but I have yet to need it. 3 ft/lb of force without power steering. 1.3 ft/lb of force with power steering. Honda did a good job on the steering geometry of the 7hundo. Others will have their opinion on both and say go for it. I wanted to keep the cost down so I went for the base. No ragurts!🤣😎
Looks like you're one of the only votes for no PS - I had read this elsewhere, too. The only thing is that I will be turning pretty slow much of the time, getting back into the deep woods to retrieve downed trees and such. I'll keep thinking about it.

Reactions: Mudwing
A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome. My thoughts below:

Paddle Shifters: Nice to have the option to use them. I honestly don't use them too much.

Power steering: Must have. It would be a deal breaker if it didn't have power steering.

Winter use/plowing: I got mine in May, haven't had any winter use yet. One of my primary reasons to own my 700-4D is for ice fishing. I can't wait to get it out on the hardwater. I will not be plowing.
Cool, thanks - my first ride, a used '06 Yamaha Kodiak, had been an old ice fishing rig and it was PRISTINE when I bought it. Now that I've had it about ten years and bashed it around the woods, it is certainly showing that it is "well loved." ENjoy!

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome to the club!!!

Paddle shifters......Mine is pre paddle shifters but I never got the big deal. How the heck are you supposed to steer and shift at the same time? It's not like you'll be racing the thing. The paddles will however help you stay in 1st gear but it won't help the lack of a lower gear this machine has. That being said the 700 bogs right through almost everything people throw at it. The trans is bullet proof.

Power Steering...... It's a must. If you buy a machine without it you'll be adding the aftermarket PSing sooner than later.

Snow Plowing. No experience there but many many here have plows and do just fine with them.

Honestly though...... Quality control during covid is terrible for everything right now. Even the mighty Honda brand is taking it's lumps. If I were you..... I'd wait until the factories are back up and running like the well oiled machines they used to be. Plus, that would let you save your pennies for the 1000.
Interesting...so, could you elaborate on why you would save up for the 1000?

I was looking closer at it and I guess it's not THAT much bigger but the base model comes with EPS and did I also read it has both a front and rear diff lock?? That's kind of unusual but, I used to offroad Jeeps, and a having the ability to lock and unlock both differentials is basically like being super man on the trails...it does have me thinking.

Reactions: CID
A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Love the paddle shifters, always use them.

Power steering is awesome.

I plow my long and steep gravel driveway and it does great. Check out my Utube videos at my channel: "Steven Barnes' Vermont Fishing Adventures ".
I definitely will, thank you!

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
OK, another vote for noise...any other reason you'd note?

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great, thanks - another vote for holding out for the 1000, can you share your opinions on why? I'm looking closer at the upgrades and can see some of the inherent advantages but would be good to hear from someone more "in the know."

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome from Michigan.
As for my preferences,
Power steering,
Running between trees or playing in sand then the weighted front end from a snow plow in the winter it is my opinion it is needed more than not.
Paddle shifters,
I use mine as many others to upshift and keep noise down just about every chance I get,
And snow plowing lastly,
The 700 does just fine pushing snow as long as it isn't a foot of heavy wet or slushy stuff.
We all have reasons for buying what we do but for me the ability to fit in between trees and tight spots is more important than size and power of the P1k.
At deer camp the 4 seats are always full and usually with a small trailer in tow and for our needs it is perfect.
Good luck and don't overthink it, just enjoy.
Thanks, appreciate it - the form factor is definitely a plus. How big of a trailer do you tow? I have a heavy duty farm trailer that is 5x7 and I load up pretty good with wood. Think it'd have any issue with that?

Reactions: Glock21user

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!