Talon Paddle tire thoughts and opinions

hurricanespike

hurricanespike

May 7, 2019
Claremore, OK
Ownership

1. Other Brand
E2E33979 F0CA 4ECD A448 6E32B8BB15C1
Hey all. First post here. I am not a Talon owner personally. My father just bought a Talon R though, so I wanted to join to try and learn more about these machines as well as maybe contribute anything useful we learn along the way.

He rides primarily in the sand dunes at Little Sahara in Waynoka, OK. So almost all of his modifications will be geared toward performance or functionality in that environment.

His first weekend trip out was with the machine bone stock, minus a set of sand tires and wheels I already had. It’s a spare set that I bought initially when I first picked up my X3 a few years ago. I’ve held onto them as spares since I upgraded my tires a few trips later.

The wheels are STI HD5 beadlocks. 14x7 fronts and 14x9 rears. The tires are STI Sand Wedges, 30x13x14 I believe. I didn’t care for them much on my X3. They have a really stiff sidewall and ride super rough on the pavement sections to and from camp. The paddles don’t have enough flex to conform to the sand so the tires are minimally effective, compared to Skat Traks like I was used to before I bought these.

He ordered a set of Skat Traks from Tim at Xtreme Tire in Arizona. He went with the 30x13x14 9 paddle extreme tires with the Warlock carcass. We’ve got high hopes for them, as I run 32x13x14s in 14 paddle on my X3 and I love them.

I just wondered what other guys had tried or what you have in mind for your rigs.. I will report back once he gets a chance to try the new set out. It may be a month or so before that happens.

Dunegod

Dunegod

Mar 8, 2019
Mesa Az
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Looking to buy 15x8” rims for new sand tires. Finding the size almost non-existent. Anyone have suggestions on where to find them?

Reactions: Mopower58
hurricanespike

hurricanespike

May 7, 2019
Claremore, OK
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’ve honestly yet to see a 15x8 wheel for sale. I would suspect Method first, though. They’re good about making wider offset rims and tend to stick with even-numbered widths. Good luck finding their wheels in 7 by sizes... which is very common in both the 14” and 15” segments.

Reactions: Mopower58
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Edmond, OK and welcome to the forum. I Went to high school in Pryor Creek, just down the road from Claremore. Can't help any on the paddle tires. I have ridden at Little Sahara on a borrowed dune buggy. Really a fun place, and ATV friendy town. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Cowboy02

Cowboy02

May 5, 2019
Northern Ca
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
IMG 1527
IMG 1526
How did the tires work out? We're headed to the dunes in Oregon next week, I had some leftover tires from my Can-Am but they're only 29's I'll let you know how they work out

Reactions: Isaiah
hurricanespike

hurricanespike

May 7, 2019
Claremore, OK
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My father’s Talon with just him inside it ran neck and neck with my X3 Max (4seater, 2017 model) with an Evo Stage 3 tune, full exhaust, intake, wastegate adjustment, and Warlock Skats. With myself, my wife, and my two kids (6,7) inside. We raced from a dead stop until about 60 mph in 4wd. Both of us running Warlock Skats. Talon is an impressive machine. He also has a 2016 RZR Turbo XP that we’ve done the same race with minus Skats, 28” Sand Stripper HPs, and my family Wagon X3 beat him by 3-4 car lengths every time.

Reactions: Isaiah
Cowboy02

Cowboy02

May 5, 2019
Northern Ca
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
How did your old tires work out for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The old tires work great. Experienced a little wheel hop in some conditions I think it's a suspension. Not a problem in Oregon but in the dry sand at Saint Anthony's Idaho made it difficult

Cowboy02

Cowboy02

May 5, 2019
Northern Ca
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
So what are the spec’s on this setup and how did they perform in Oregon?
Headed that way in July with my R.
Thanks
So what are the spec’s on this setup and how did they perform in Oregon?
Headed that way in July with my R.
Thanks
Could be a little bit bigger had plenty of power to turn them in Oregon got a lot of wheel hop when we were in Saint Anthony's Idaho dunes not sure if it was the suspension or the tires

Reactions: Honduh
N

Netbent

Apr 8, 2021
Washington
Ownership

1. Talon R
What wheels did you end up going with. I ordered a set of 32X13X15 10 paddles and want to know if I want a 10 inch rear and a 7 inch front just can’t figure the offsets

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What wheels did you end up going with. I ordered a set of 32X13X15 10 paddles and want to know if I want a 10 inch rear and a 7 inch front just can’t figure the offsets
Not in my realm.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You need to be more specific.
What brand paddles?
Are the fronts a different width?

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
We’re planning a couple trips to the Oregon dunes this year so I decided to get some sand paddles. I found these on eBay a month ago and they should be here next week. Hiper wheels, they are now owned by Weld, 15x8” front and 15x10” rear in a centered offset 4+4 and 5+5 with 30” Sand Stripper tires. There’s better for sure but the price was right on these (has since went up $300 on eBay) I went with a 10 paddle rear tire. I’ll bolt them up and send some pics when they get here
56A09C1E BE32 4275 B714 7835A0FAB228

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
View attachment 127981 Hey all. First post here. I am not a Talon owner personally. My father just bought a Talon R though, so I wanted to join to try and learn more about these machines as well as maybe contribute anything useful we learn along the way.

He rides primarily in the sand dunes at Little Sahara in Waynoka, OK. So almost all of his modifications will be geared toward performance or functionality in that environment.

His first weekend trip out was with the machine bone stock, minus a set of sand tires and wheels I already had. It’s a spare set that I bought initially when I first picked up my X3 a few years ago. I’ve held onto them as spares since I upgraded my tires a few trips later.

The wheels are STI HD5 beadlocks. 14x7 fronts and 14x9 rears. The tires are STI Sand Wedges, 30x13x14 I believe. I didn’t care for them much on my X3. They have a really stiff sidewall and ride super rough on the pavement sections to and from camp. The paddles don’t have enough flex to conform to the sand so the tires are minimally effective, compared to Skat Traks like I was used to before I bought these.

He ordered a set of Skat Traks from Tim at Xtreme Tire in Arizona. He went with the 30x13x14 9 paddle extreme tires with the Warlock carcass. We’ve got high hopes for them, as I run 32x13x14s in 14 paddle on my X3 and I love them.

I just wondered what other guys had tried or what you have in mind for your rigs.. I will report back once he gets a chance to try the new set out. It may be a month or so before that happens.
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

Since you're new to the Talon, the link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Overall width is 74” front and 78” back with the 1.5” spacers. With my 5+2 method wheels and Carnivores it’s about 71” all around. Front will have more bump steer with the high offset but I’ll take the extra width for stability in the sand. I have them at 7lbs now. What pressure are you guys running?

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Overall width is 74” front and 78” back with the 1.5” spacers. With my 5+2 method wheels and Carnivores it’s about 71” all around. Front will have more bump steer with the high offset but I’ll take the extra width for stability in the sand. I have them at 7lbs now. What pressure are you guys running?
I just watched a Shock Therapy video and he said low pressures in the dunes were 'old school' and suggested closer to 16 lbs with today's tires. Low pressures affect shock action negatively IIRC. I was just bouncing around the internet so I don't know where I was other than ST.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!