Talon Paint damage

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here are the results of my paint after washing off some mud.

IMG 20190809 111206 Edit

The dull areas appear on the paint and shiny parts of the graphics. They can barely be felt with my finger nail. I tried a clay bar anyway to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 146656

The dull areas appear on the paint and shiny parts of the graphics. They cannot be felt but I tried a clay bar anyway to no avail.

Any suggestions?
Not sure I’ve ever seen mud do that kind of damage. That sucks I’m sorry to see that.
You could try a little 1500-2000grt sandpaper and some rubbing compound, short of spraying it would be my only suggestion. If you tried that I’d do an inconspicuous spot to make sure you don’t go through and it polishes up good.
Clay really only helps with something on top of the surface, since that appears to be etched in it doesn’t surprise me it didn’t work well.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 146656

The dull areas appear on the paint and shiny parts of the graphics. They cannot be felt but I tried a clay bar anyway to no avail.

Any suggestions?

2nd the sandpaper/polish recommendation.

I didn't realize these were painted. Might be worth it to throw a few coats of nice wax on the whole thing. In a huge fan of Liquid Glass.

It ain't cheap, but it's easy on/off, makes the paint look 3 ft deep and if you get a couple layers on it, it'll last forever.

Reactions: Mudwing and nm6r
nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure I’ve ever seen mud do that kind of damage. That sucks I’m sorry to see that.
You could try a little 1500-2000grt sandpaper and some rubbing compound, short of spraying it would be my only suggestion. If you tried that I’d do an inconspicuous spot to make sure you don’t go through and it polishes up good.
Clay really only helps with something on top of the surface, since that appears to be etched in it doesn’t surprise me it didn’t work well.

Apparently the surface is etched. I tried some swirl remover and it did a respectable job but takes forever. I would never get all the spots removed.

I gave some 1500 wet a try but it's way too aggressive for Honda paint. I should have known better having had japanese motorcycles for many years.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Apparently the surface is etched. I tried some swirl remover and it did a respectable job but takes forever. I would never get all the spots removed.

I gave some 1500 wet a try but it's way too aggressive for Honda paint. I should have known better having had japanese motorcycles for many years.
Was kind of worried about that. Well dang. Must’ve burned all the way in. Wish you were closer I’d just squirt it for ya real quick. Maybe consider some graphic from CreativeUtvGraphics or something

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was kind of worried about that. Well dang. Must’ve burned all the way in. Wish you were closer I’d just squirt it for ya real quick. Maybe consider some graphic from CreativeUtvGraphics or something

This is just what I was thinking- sounds like a good excuse to do a wrap! That stuff has come a long way- fairly durable and looks sharp now.

Honestly though, 2 miles into the trails a little dust or mud will prolly cover that right up and no one would even notice.

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
2nd the sandpaper/polish recommendation.

I didn't realize these were painted. Might be worth it to throw a few coats of nice wax on the whole thing. In a huge fan of Liquid Glass.

It ain't cheap, but it's easy on/off, makes the paint look 3 ft deep and if you get a couple layers on it, it'll last forever.

Apparently, Liquid Glass is no more.

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is just what I was thinking- sounds like a good excuse to do a wrap! That stuff has come a long way- fairly durable and looks sharp now.

Honestly though, 2 miles into the trails a little dust or mud will prolly cover that right up and no one would even notice.

I was able to use swirl remover and polish out the effects of the 1500 grit. I know a little dust, dirt or mud will camouflage the imperfections. Maybe even won't show in sunlight. It just kills me and they are all over on every painted panel.

I tried my 10 inch orbital polisher and that sped things up but what a mess and hard to control in small areas. I think I will get a 3 inch polisher and take my time.

This isn't the first time I got it muddy. It cleaned up beautifully with no ill effects. This mud was like big, wet turds that got kicked up from the tires. I just don't understand why this mud had this effect, and how to prevent it from happening again.

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
Update: I don't know if the surface got etched or it was just a nasty residue that nothing would remove. I picked up a Harbor Freight 3 inch buffer kit and some final polish. That did the trick nicely.

btw, I was using Top Coat F11 for paint protection. Now I am giving Klasse All in One a try.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update: I don't know if the surface got etched or it was just a nasty residue that nothing would remove. I picked up a Harbor Freight 3 inch buffer kit and some final polish. That did the trick nicely.

btw, I was using Top Coat F11 for paint protection. Now I am giving Klasse All in One a try.

Let us know how this one works out. I was about to pull the trigger on some f11 for the truck but after seeing this I think I'll hold off

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
Let us know how this one works out. I was about to pull the trigger on some f11 for the truck but after seeing this I think I'll hold off

My road and the next road are not paved so it gets dusty. I used to use Klasse on my passenger vehicles but switched to F11 because it repels dust so well and it works on the textured black plastic, windows and interior really well.

This was my first issue of it's kind ever. Time will tell if it happens again.

W

willpower35

Mar 30, 2019
clinton ny
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know. I will have to try that next time if it happens again.

Any particular tire shine brand? Spray can? Pump sprayer?
its called reliable silacone tire shine
Good to know. I will have to try that next time if it happens again.

Any particular tire shine brand? Spray can? Pump sprayer?
its called reliable silicone tire shine. just spray it on a rag and wipe the machine off. i use all over the wheeler nothing sticks to it

Reactions: nm6r
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
its called reliable silacone tire shine

its called reliable silicone tire shine. just spray it on a rag and wipe the machine off. i use all over the wheeler nothing sticks to it

Google search and can't find "reliable silicone tire shine" more info please or pic of .

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
Google search and can't find "reliable silicone tire shine" more info please or pic of .

I found it...
Reliable Tire Shine 22 oz. Spray

They also sell it by the gallon.

I called them to get info on the product. For example, is it safe to use on a painted surface? Does it contain any petroleum products? Unfortunately, they were of no help. They couldn't answer either question. "it's for tires" was their answer. "We have products to clean and protect painted surfaces."

You can buy directly from them or try to find a dealer.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found it...
Reliable Tire Shine 22 oz. Spray

They also sell it by the gallon.

I called them to get info on the product. For example, is it safe to use on a painted surface? Does it contain any petroleum products? Unfortunately, they were of no help. They couldn't answer either question. "it's for tires" was their answer. "We have products to clean and protect painted surfaces."

You can buy directly from them or try to find a dealer.

Thanks I did finally find it 16oz, 22oz and gallons from Reliable 1, but couldn't find any distributors must have to buy it direct.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!