Talon Particle Seperator

M

Mollyman

Sep 27, 2019
Hawaii
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum, just bought a Talon R selling my Wildcat 1000X. Has anyone had a S&B Particle Separator installed on their machine yet? I will be taking my R in tomorrow for a 100+ mi. service and looking at my filter it could use one. I will be getting one installed at the same time as the service. My other question :How is the noise level in the cab with it running? Thanks for your input. Mark

H

HondaTech

Are you getting the Honda branded setup?
I haven't had the chance to see or hear one yet, pretty curious myself.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I looked at one installed on a 4 seater today and I drove it for a bit. You can hear the fan running with the key on but the engine drowns it out once started. I did not notice any intake noise either. Granted, this was a 4 seater and I was sitting up front so you may notice it on a 2 seater because the thing is just.a few inches from your ear, even if it is mounted in the upper position.

I am considering one but if I do get one, mine will definitely be modified and NOT be mounted 6 inches from my ear.

Last edited:
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
They swear by them on the maverick x3 in the dunes on the can-am forum.

M

Mollyman

Sep 27, 2019
Hawaii
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum, just bought a Talon R selling my Wildcat 1000X. Has anyone had a S&B Particle Separator installed on their machine yet? I will be taking my R in tomorrow for a 100+ mi. service and looking at my filter it could use one. I will be getting one installed at the same time as the service. My other question :How is the noise level in the cab with it running? Thanks for your input. Mark
Getting the S&B unit made for the Talon, installed by the local dealer. It will be mounted at the top bar, since I carry coolers and chairs in the storage compartment, I didn't want the blow by to come back to the cab area from being blocked from the coolers. I went and saw one that was installed and the noise was actually quitter than my cooling fans from my old Wildcat 1000 behind my head. They mount a switch that operates the fan, so you can run it when needed. After running in dusty areas for 100+ mi. my filter looked like it needed replacement. Had to come up with a better solution.

Reactions: 500oneer
nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
A couple weeks ago I got to ride in a 2 seat rzr that had an S&B particle separator mounted in the same place as the Talon. The fan noise was very annoying and quite unacceptable. Yes, it blended in with ambient noise around 15-20 mph. Anything slower, it was horrible and that's wearing a headset.

I am in the process of installing a KWT particle separator. No electrical, no fan, no noise and considerably less money than the "Honda" S&B unit.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
A couple weeks ago I got to ride in a 2 seat rzr that had an S&B particle separator mounted in the same place as the Talon. The fan noise was very annoying and quite unacceptable. Yes, it blended in with ambient noise around 15-20 mph. Anything slower, it was horrible and that's wearing a headset.

I am in the process of installing a KWT particle separator. No electrical, no fan, no noise and considerably less money than the "Honda" S&B unit.

HONDA TALON — Best Particle Separator for ATV and UTVs - KWT Filters

that one?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I'd like to see some pictures of the finished project when you're done. I looked through the instructions, it looks like the intake points to the side/rear? Do you have a rear window in your Talon?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I looked through the instructions, it looks like the intake points to the side/rear?
That is because the KWT does not do well if it gets wet and then you run into some dust. If you point it forward and it gets wet, it can cake over under certain conditions and then you are screwed. It is pointed backwards to mitigate this issue.

Reactions: 906UP
nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is because the KWT does not do well if it gets wet and then you run into some dust. If you point it forward and it gets wet, it can cake over under certain conditions and then you are screwed. It is pointed backwards to mitigate this issue.

I don't believe this to be true at all. This is 100% a Talon mounting issue. Look at the pics on their web site. The KWT usually points forward.

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd like to see some pictures of the finished project when you're done. I looked through the instructions, it looks like the intake points to the side/rear? Do you have a rear window in your Talon?

I completed my installation today. Here are some pics.

RAY 8825 Edit

RAY 8818 Edit

RAY 8816 Edit

RAY 8827 Edit

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
From what ive been seeing, installing a snorkel seems to work well. its not as good as the S&B, but you dont get the noise, and its half the cost. Have seen good results from people that have used them on FB

Reactions: ohanacreek

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!