BOX1

People selling their pioneers...

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Seems like more and more I run across threads and forums where folks are selling their pioneer or have gotten a different non Honda machine. It just makes me wonder why? Like what do people dislike the most about the pioneer lineup and what do people like the most? I know a lot of us do get frustrated with Honda and their over conservatism. I’ve had my 18’ pioneer 500 since the spring. I do love it quite well. And foresee hanging on to it for the long haul. But it’s FAR from the perfect machine. Until the perfect machine in my opinion is built I’ll keep my pioneer. I mean I could nit pick the P5 to death. Biggest grip is why didn’t they just put the locker in it like the rubicon. Why didn’t they just add a small bed on it, as cleaver and as many options as the rear rack gives you. All in all I love the P5. It’s just a two up atv with the seats side x side. Cause “Life is better SxS”.

Some day I hope someone builds the perfect machine for me. 50-56” wide. Blend of utility/rec. bench seat scooped out to have “bucket seat feel” front and rear selectable lockers. A dumping bed. Capable of cruising 50 mph comfortably. Something 600-800cc range. No more than 12k. And with a tranny like the P5 has.a roll cage like Polaris and can am are using that really seals up automotive like. It doesn’t seem like it’s asking much or would take much for a OEM to build this machine. Why it’s not on the market is beyond me. I think they’d sell like hot cake.

So yeah I just keep seeing folks selling their pioneers on here from time to time. I’m sure all for different reasons. Maybe everyone’s just anticipating the talon. IDK Anyway just wanted to share my feelings.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Seems like more and more I run across threads and forums where folks are selling their pioneer or have gotten a different non Honda machine. It just makes me wonder why? Like what do people dislike the most about the pioneer lineup and what do people like the most? I know a lot of us do get frustrated with Honda and their over conservatism. I’ve had my 18’ pioneer 500 since the spring. I do love it quite well. And foresee hanging on to it for the long haul. But it’s FAR from the perfect machine. Until the perfect machine in my opinion is built I’ll keep my pioneer. I mean I could nit pick the P5 to death. Biggest grip is why didn’t they just put the locker in it like the rubicon. Why didn’t they just add a small bed on it, as cleaver and as many options as the rear rack gives you. All in all I love the P5. It’s just a two up atv with the seats side x side. Cause “Life is better SxS”.

Some day I hope someone builds the perfect machine for me. 50-56” wide. Blend of utility/rec. bench seat scooped out to have “bucket seat feel” front and rear selectable lockers. A dumping bed. Capable of cruising 50 mph comfortably. Something 600-800cc range. No more than 12k. And with a tranny like the P5 has.a roll cage like Polaris and can am are using that really seals up automotive like. It doesn’t seem like it’s asking much or would take much for a OEM to build this machine. Why it’s not on the market is beyond me. I think they’d sell like hot cake.

So yeah I just keep seeing folks selling their pioneers on here from time to time. I’m sure all for different reasons. Maybe everyone’s just anticipating the talon. IDK Anyway just wanted to share my feelings.
I have 2 Pioneer 1000s, and I have one on here for sale. I will always have the 5 seater that I’m keeping. Love it! Have had zero issues with either machine. Selling the 3seater to get a different machine for my son.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah that makes sense guys. Heck I get bored sometimes especially with my pickup trucks. Never seem to keep one always trading. Heck I was SO close to getting a midsize ranger instead of my P5. I just love the look of the ranger and it’s size and features. But I just HATE the under the skin part of the ranger/Polaris. Put the P5 transmission in the midsize ranger and ya got a winner. OR address just a couple things on the P5 and ya got the perfect machine...give it a factory bed (so we ain’t out here building 10 different setups to find one we like) add a locker front and rear and a power/displacement increase and ya have the perfect machine. I myself love the pioneer lineup. Just the 700/1000 are to large for my intended uses.

Reactions: RRogers and sharp
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My opinion...and one that might upset some...

It takes time to get a true feel for a machine, and it really isn't until the new wears off that you get the true character of a machine. Honda has always been the kings of seamless, digital refinement. I've owned a few street bikes and ATVs from them, and the biggest fault i can think of with them was that they were so faultless, they came off as boring on that 1st test ride. Yet, when that new wore off and you had to live every day with them, thats when they started to shine.

I did not find that with the 700.
Once the excitement of the shiny new machine wore off, its like..."OK...what were they thinking?". Noisey...rattling doors...etc.
Durable as an anvil, but not nearly as refined some other machines.
The take i had on it was it seems to have been designed to compete with the Rhino 660/700. Problem was, the Rhino design was over a decade old by that intro, and the rest of the world had moved on.
Now I'm in a 500. It's also noisey and...well, a bit crude. It has its niche, but its tough to jump from it to driving...say, a 50" RZR and say "oh yeah...I'm so glad i got the 500 Pioneer..." unless you bring some quality/durability issues into the mix.

And therein lies one issue: judging by atv market share over the last few decades, at least 1/2 of the people now buying SxS's "grew up" on Polaris products or something else, where the Polaris "issues" aren't perceived as such, or just as being "normal". They know of Honda's quality reputation, jump on the new machine when they intro it, and then find something much different than what they are used to once the excitement wears off. And then they may go back. They get on the hype train...then get off (a sentiment one fellow owner shared with me shortly after buying mine).

Now the 1000.
I've spent all of 2 minutes in one, and my 1st impression was OK...this is what a Honda should feel like. But now imagine (again) coming from being in a Ranger/Teryx all of your life and getting into a machine with a tranny that shifts/clunks/makes some odd noises, and being put off by that. It's not hard to imagine. Again, excitement sometimes gets the best of buyers, and when it goes...well, different isn't always good. This seems trivial, but i go to competing brands' boards fairly often, and this is one area where people complain a lot. Hot, uncomfortable, lots of shifting (at least compared to a machine that never have a perceptible shift). A lets be honest...the 1000's recalls have hurt its reputation, deserved or not. That's simply not like the Honda of old.
And i still think there are better choices for real hard core mud machines...

As @Plumber32 said, i see a lot of SxS's for sale. Some people just have to have the latest and greatest.
Whats kind of interesting for me is the number of people who have traded Brand-X in on a Pioneer, then after some time, end up trading it back in (or selling it) on Brand-X. Seems like i see that a lot with Pioneers. Especially the 1000.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It takes time to get a true feel for a machine, and it really isn't until the new wears off that you get the true character of a machine. Honda has always been the kings of seamless, digital refinement. I've owned a few street bikes and ATVs from them, and the biggest fault i can think of with them was that they were so faultless, they came off as boring on that 1st test ride. Yet, when that new wore off and you had to live every day with them, thats when they started to shine.

Once the excitement of the shiny new machine wore off, its like..."OK...what were they thinking?". Noisey...rattling doors...etc.
The take i had on it was it seems to have been designed to compete with the Rhino 660/700. Problem was, the Rhino design was over a decade old by that intro, and the rest of the world had moved on.
Now I'm in a 500. It's also noisey and...well, a bit crude. It has its niche, but its tough to jump from it to driving...say, a 50" RZR and say "oh yeah...I'm so glad i got the 500 Pioneer..." unless you bring some quality/durability issues into the mix.

And therein lies one issue: judging by atv market share over the last few decades, at least 1/2 of the people now buying SxS's "grew up" on Polaris products or something else, where the Polaris "issues" aren't perceived as such, or just as being "normal". They know of Honda's quality reputation, jump on the new machine when they intro it, and then find something much different than what they are used to once the excitement wears off. And then they may go back. They get on the hype train...then get off (a sentiment one fellow owner shared with me shortly after buying mine).

Now the 1000.
I've spent all of 2 minutes in one, and my 1st impression was OK...this is what a Honda should feel like. But now imagine (again) coming from being in a Ranger/Teryx all of your life and getting into a machine with a tranny that shifts/clunks/makes some odd noises, and being put off by that. It's not hard to imagine. Again, excitement sometimes gets the best of buyers, and when it goes...well, different isn't always good. This seems trivial, but i go to competing brands' boards fairly often, and this is one area where people complain a lot. Hot, uncomfortable, lots of shifting (at least compared to a machine that never have a perceptible shift). A lets be honest...the 1000's recalls have hurt its reputation, deserved or not. That's simply not like the Honda of old.

As @Plumber32 said, i see a lot of SxS's for sale. Some people just have to have the latest and greatest.
Whats kind of interesting for me is the number of people who have traded Brand-X in on a Pioneer, then after some time, end up trading it back in (or selling it) on Brand-X. Seems like i see that a lot with Pioneers. Especially the 1000.

This is very well stated. My only addition would be: I think you see a decent percentage of 1000 buyers with a Pioneer that ride harder than the Pioneer is really meant to (though it will take much of the abuse) but refuse to buy a Polaris/Can Am product initially. I talked to several guys about used ones that told me the pioneer would keep up with their friends rzrs, but it beat the hell out of them doing it so they were taking the plunge.

The yxz was too highly geared for me (potentially remedied for 2019). We have always ridden Honda, and while I had an XP 1000 for about 8 months, I ultimately decided I didn't ride hard enough to NEED all that suspension, and the reliability concerns/upkeep/fixing sent me back home to a Honda. If I rode harder, I could see dumping the pioneer for a new yxz with the lower gearing (or maybe Talon).

I had a tough time buying this summer knowing the talon was coming and would likely dump a fair amount of p1ks into the market next spring, but ultimately decided that the guy who rode his pioneer like a talon and was dumping it to buy one, was likely not the guy I wanted to buy a used pioneer from anyhow :eek:

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500

Now the 1000.

@DG Rider thats a very good summary of what I was thinking or wondering with folks saling/trading their machines. Some very good points you made. I was shocked when I seen the recall for the 1000. All sxs are noisey. Just no way around it. My P5 is durable as an anvil. Do I wish it had more suspension travel-yes. Should it come with at least a front locker-yes should it have ability to unlock the rear diff-yes. Should they have placed a bed from the factory on it-yes. Is it a little under powered-yes. Should they offer and EPS edition-yes. Etc etc. but for under 10 grand I’d buy again again. It will outlast me and I’ll give it to my son and he can give it to his some day. There is no perfect machine out there at least not yet and for my liking and intended uses. I think that’s why folks often sell. Newness wears off and they want a “perfect” machine. I came from a Kymco UXV 450 which was a solid great little machine. Kymco is so under valued. But I wanted a better dealer network and better long term parts availability and more options for accessories so I can home to Honda. I always had Honda growing up. Still have our 1970’s model 70cc three wheeler. I’d be lying if I haven’t questioned did I buy the right machine. But I’ve always been able to justify that question whenever it pops in my head. Completely happy with my P5. Good talk! Just got to wondering why some are parting from the pioneers every time I’ve gotten on lately I see someone else sold there’s.

Reactions: sharp and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is very well stated. My only addition would be: I think you see a decent percentage of 1000 buyers with a Pioneer that ride harder than the Pioneer is really meant to (though it will take much of the abuse) but refuse to buy a Polaris/Can Am product initially.
I agree. The 1000 seems like the 1st time Honda really tried to impress other brand owners as opposed to designing things for "Honda people". Power, speed, suspension ( for a ute machine ). You don't have to use honda key words like reliability and durability when you bring up the 1000. It stands on its own. I've tried to deny it...but i may have to buy one next time around...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@DG Rider thats a very good summary of what I was thinking or wondering with folks saling/trading their machines. Some very good points you made. I was shocked when I seen the recall for the 1000. All sxs are noisey. Just no way around it. My P5 is durable as an anvil. Do I wish it had more suspension travel-yes. Should it come with at least a front locker-yes should it have ability to unlock the rear diff-yes. Should they have placed a bed from the factory on it-yes. Is it a little under powered-yes. Should they offer and EPS edition-yes. Etc etc. but for under 10 grand I’d buy again again. It will outlast me and I’ll give it to my son and he can give it to his some day. There is no perfect machine out there at least not yet and for my liking and intended uses. I think that’s why folks often sell. Newness wears off and they want a “perfect” machine. I came from a Kymco UXV 450 which was a solid great little machine. Kymco is so under valued. But I wanted a better dealer network and better long term parts availability and more options for accessories so I can home to Honda. I always had Honda growing up. Still have our 1970’s model 70cc three wheeler. I’d be lying if I haven’t questioned did I buy the right machine. But I’ve always been able to justify that question whenever it pops in my head. Completely happy with my P5. Good talk! Just got to wondering why some are parting from the pioneers every time I’ve gotten on lately I see someone else sold there’s.
Interestingly enough, i agree with just about all of your comments about the 500 except the power part. Maybe its just because i wasn't expecting much...or because I'm still rolling on stock tires, but i have been pleasantly surprised by the 500's engine. Always seems to have some peddle left. This engine must be very nice on the Foreman ATV's.

EDIT: Or maybe i just ride like a grandpa and don't know what real power is?

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Interestingly enough, i agree with just about all of your comments about the 500 except the power part. Maybe its just because i wasn't expecting much...or because I'm still rolling on stock tires, but i have been pleasantly surprised by the 500's engine. Always seems to have some peddle left. This engine must be very nice on the Foreman ATV's.

EDIT: Or maybe i just ride like a grandpa and don't know what real power is?

It’s borderline on power. I was probably exaggerating a little when I wrote that. I mean a little exta wouldn’t hurt it. I hardly ever even get it to 5th gear. I just use it around the house and my 6 acre property keeping it up and out fishing and hunting. When I do go off trail riding it could use a little extra imo. I hope Honda keeps the pioneer 500 around for a long time and makes the improvements that would help it and keep the price down. All these SxS and atv are out of control on pricing. (Someone will say look at how far they’ve come and all your getting. I know but it’s just an off road toy at end of the day. I’m simple blue collar middle of the ground working man. 20k in a SxS want ever happen here!)

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not a speed demon(been there, done that), I sit back and enjoy the ride. I wanted a machine that would crawl up almost any mountain. I wanted room for the family, dog included, without being 20’ long... I wanted reliability. I wanted something I could go hunting with and work on the farm. The only machine that hit every mark for me was the Pioneer.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I’m not a speed demon(been there, done that), I sit back and enjoy the ride. I wanted a machine that would crawl up almost any mountain. I wanted room for the family, dog included, without being 20’ long... I wanted reliability. I wanted something I could go hunting with and work on the farm. The only machine that hit every mark for me was the Pioneer.

Which did you go with 700 or 1000?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!